TA-15 Owners. Are you out there???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddie

Reaction score
Hi Guys, and Gals,
I recently purchased a TA-15 and am wondering who out there also owns one and what you think of it. I really love every aspect of mine other than I would like a little heavier sound out of the H2 mode. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Roddie

Hi :)
I own a TA.....purchased some weeks ago...and I think it's absolutely rocks!!!
One of the most important thing to me in order to make it sound full, especially on the bass side, is using a good cab. I've a mesa vertical recto 2x12" which gives me a very tight and focused low end....

For the clean sound I love to set on the top boost mode, with the gain /volume on the edge of breakup in 15-25 watts...it's gorgeous to switch from cleans to crunch sound just by using you picking hand.....

For dirty sounds I stuck on the HI1 mode....and I like more the 15 and 5 watts setting, since the sound to me is fuller than on 25 watts...besides I've noticed that the hi1 and hi2 are voiced very "bright".....
Yesterday I had a gig and believe me or not, I used the red channel on 5 watts setting in a medium pub.....and I set the master volume only at half :D this head is sooo freaking loud :D

Just out of curiosity what kind of guitar do you play? I am currently playing a music man silo special which is awsome form cleans and blues but lacks the power for a really heavy chunky crunch. I can get close to a lot of the sounds I want using the 2nd channel but the guitar is lacking in power. It is no fault of the amp. The amp is incredible and has endless tones and sounds but I think I might look at the new PRS NF3 to cover off some of the heavier tones I desire.

Thanks,
Roddie

Hi,
since the TA it's not a modern high gain amp, if you want a powerful distorted sound you have to pay some attention...first of all, a guitar equipped with humbucker pickups is a good choice...;)
second, you may want to consider the possibility to use a boost/overdrive pedal to add in front of the red channel of the TA.

Personally, I use several guitars....a strat, a les paul, a sg, an ibanez jem, an ibanez universe....the TA is very responsive with every different guitar...if you change guitar, the sound changes too :)
for boosting I used an MXR micro amp, which is great because it adds gain but doesn't change your sound....it's very clear and transparent....otherwise you may try with a boss sd-1 or ibanez ts 9 at low gain and high output, in order to boost your signal only..;)

I appreciate the tips, some great advice. The silo is loaded with hss and although the humbucker performs fine I find the two single coils are a little weak and lack definition. I find that they do not have a very focused sound.

The TA has become my favorite amp despite owning a MKIV and LSC! I can't get a bad sound out of it and it takes pedals really well. I play in a covers band so need a good range of tones - which the TA delivers by the bucket - and really appreciate the portability of the TA + a 1x12. Everyone should try one!

I just got mine last week and my other amps are already getting jealous!

Digging the tones!

Using a Maxon OD808 in front really helps get a heavier sound. I set it as low as possible for gain, max out the volume and just find a good spot on the tone knob. I usually use that with High 1 with the gain around 2-3:00.

I have a TA-15 and love the sound too. I have craved a little more sustain for solos...I put a electro-harmonix big muff I had laying around on the line...works like a charm. It does not change the overall overdrive but really adds sustain.

I can also dial in more gain if I like...I just choose not too.

I've had mine for a while...got it when they first came out. It's my go to amp now for the most part. My F50 hardly gets used. I also use a 5 watt ValveTrain quite a bit. I run the TA through a Port City 1X12 ported cab...sounds great to me. I run the clean channel with top boost, dirty channel on H1 usually with gain set between 12:00 and 2:00 for milder overdrive tones. If I want heavier overdrive, I kick on my Reverend Drivetrain set for clean boost. I've lately been running the dirty channel on the five watt setting. I find for heavier overdrive tone, the amp on it's own...even with gain set up high, does'nt qive me the tone I want. It's not a hight gain amp. So most of the time when I go from clean to overdrive, I"m stepping on the footswitch and overdrive pedal at the same time. I have them positioned on my pedal board in such a way that makes it easy. I had an EL84 go bad on a a couple months after I bought the amp. Mesa was really good about sending me a replacement set no charge. I now run a small fan behind the head to keep things cool...don't know if this will really prolong tube life or not. But it's worth a try for me.

swithed out the big muff for a zakk wylde OD...AWESOME when you need that little extra punch to the red channel.

Latest posts

Back