switching within channels?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlBoyMikeRyan

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before. I looked around briefly but didn't see a thread on it.
I'm an extremely satisfied new owner of a mark V combo. I love so many different modes. My only issue is, is there a way to switch modes within channels without having to stop and flip the switch? For example, if I'm playing a song on channel 1 fat and want to switch to channel 1 tweed mid song, is this possible via footswitch or some other means?

Thanks guys, I'm happy to be here. Having been a fender amp guy all my life, I never really thought I'd end up with a "metal" amp like a Mesa. I'm so glad that I gave one the chance. My mind is absolutely blown.

Congrats!!
As far as I know, there isn't a way to do this.
I would love to go from Fat to Tweed too!
I love my "metal" amp ;)

Even if you could switch between the modes of a channel the volume difference would be a problem. Also the channel settings would, for me, not be correct. The amp would have to be MIDI with a channel setting memory for it to work.

I sit down every now and then and go through all the modes to see what I can come up with. I have settled on the "Tweed" for the last year. I like the punch and I have it set so it sounds almost on the verge of overdrive. Not wimpy in any way.

It would be very cool to have that ability to use all the modes though.

OlBoyMikeRyan said:
Thanks guys, I'm happy to be here. Having been a fender amp guy all my life, I never really thought I'd end up with a "metal" amp like a Mesa. I'm so glad that I gave one the chance. My mind is absolutely blown.

Same thing happened to me.
Mostly Fender all my life.
I've got a Mark V and it's what the Fender Twin would have been when it grew up.

Played metal amps all my life, mainly JCM/JMP 800's. It was the clean sound on the Mark V that sold it to me.
Fat doing a Bassman sort of thing and Tweed doing a Champ thing. Edge I use for a more gain version of Tweed. Or a brilliant Hank Marvin Vox clone.

That would be a novel idea, midi control to change voices. However, some will have different voltage shifts on some preamp tubes such that some settings would not work just in changing the voice. Clean channel would seem more achievable unless you have the treble and presence set high when switching over to tweed. Also there may be a notable pop when changing voices due to the change in operating point of some preamp tubes in order to get the characteristic voice.

What would be a problem, Mark I mode on CH2. What works for the Mark I mode does not work well for crunch or edge, the same would apply for edge and crunch. As for CH3, that does not seem to much of a burden keeping the settings the same for each voice but Extreme may be more extreme with a higher gain setting.

Why don't you simply use an overdrive pedal, with a minimal gain setting? I would think the old Boss Blues Driver would shine in this instance. Then you are not changing any other channels or eq settings.

That would be a novel idea
Yes for a Mesa head. However this is the purpose of the Triaxis, right?. It allows each voice to be set independently and called upon on demand. I know some other heads have more midi switching features as well.

Latest posts

Back