Switching Mark III EQ with a Boss footswitch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robredo_mattila

Reaction score
Does anybody use (or has anybody tried) switching the Mark III graphic EQ using a Boss FS-5UL (latching type) footswitch? I know I need a stereo TRS cable but my amp doesn't have reverb, so as long as I get the polarity right then a single button should work right?

You want an FS5L. The polarity will only matter if you want the LED to be on when the EQ is - otherwise it won't matter, on will be on and off will be off.

The FS5U is an unlatched (momentary) footswitch suitable for tap tempo. Only get it if you want to hold down the button as long as you want the EQ engaged. (As soon as you let off, the EQ will stop) Polarity will have more of an effect here (just like a keyboard sustain pedal) where if the polarity is wrong, the amp will think the switch is always on.

Wait, I don't have EQ on my amp - the EQ and Reverb operate from the same jack, is that correct?

phyrexia said:
Wait, I don't have EQ on my amp - the EQ and Reverb operate from the same jack, is that correct?

yes, usually there is a double 'EQ Reverb' footswitch with a stereo TRS cable however considering I don't have reverb I just want a single footswitch. The FS-5L seems like the business.

I like footswitching the EQ on and off for variety of tone.

I have a $20.00 latching footswitch that I hooked to a stereo Y splitter cable. The stereo end goes into the Mark III and the footswitch cable end goes into one of the two 1/4" female receivers, but it is only pushed to the first click. I taped the plug to hold it in the first click position.

This is what I had to make it work, and it works on a budget.

flip33 said:
I like footswitching the EQ on and off for variety of tone.

I have a $20.00 latching footswitch that I hooked to a stereo Y splitter cable. The stereo end goes into the Mark III and the footswitch cable end goes into one of the two 1/4" female receivers, but it is only pushed to the first click. I taped the plug to hold it in the first click position.
This is what I had to make it work, and it works on a budget.

You can also achieve the same result by buying a stereo plug (that goes into the switch) and only soldering up either the tip or the sleeve (I forget which!).
You won't need to tape the switch.

For the OP:
Since you don't have reverb, maybe you don't need the stereo (TRS) cable.
Try using the FS-5L with a regular mono guitar cable.
I have the Graphic and Reverb, so I use the FS-6, the dual job.
I connect another FS-6 to the first, end to end, for the channel switching. These work great, and the LEDs are much brighter.
There's also an adapter available so you can run
them from a wall wart, but the batteries last a long time.

MrMarkIII said:
For the OP:
I connect another FS-6 to the first, end to end, for the channel switching. These work great, and the LEDs are much brighter.

Yes you're right about the mono cable thing, however if the polarity is wrong I'll have to plug it in only as far as the first click as the previous poster has done, as it will be on the additional stereo connection rather than the usual mono one. FS-5L is what I'll be getting my hands on soon.

robredo_mattila said:
MrMarkIII said:
For the OP:

Yes you're right about the mono cable thing, however if the polarity is wrong I'll have to plug it in only as far as the first click as the previous poster has done, as it will be on the additional stereo connection rather than the usual mono one. FS-5L is what I'll be getting my hands on soon.

By "polarity" I assume you mean which side of the stereo plug (tip or ring) is used for your particular app.
As mentioned in the post above the post you quoted, get a stereo plug at Radio Shack and hook up the side (tip or ring) you need. It works - no need to plug the jack in "half-way".
You may need to experiment to find out if it's the tip or ring (on the new plug) you want.
Come to think of it, if plugging in half-way works, it's the ring, since plugging in all the way would also engage the tip.... Right?.... :?

Yeah that's what I meant by Polarity, even though I'm not talking about polarity at all..

Yeah that would work, I can see a Boss FS-5L in my future, luckily I have a stereo 1/4" connector at home which I can use. I'll report back with the results, it should all work fine.

I'm now using a SPDT switch (using only two terminals, so an SPST switch will work too) to switch the EQ in and out. Haven't tried it as a channel footswitch yet but I'm pretty certain it'll work for those too.

Latest posts

Back