switching from 6L6 to EL34 option on dual recs.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempest1226

Reaction score
hey everyone. Im kinda new to the whole tube amp idea so bare with me. haha. I noticed on the back of my dual rec it has a switch to switch from 6l6 to el34 yet i looked in the back of my DR and there are no apparent EL34s back there. I see the 4 6L6 the 2 54UG rect. tubes, and deep in the front is the preamp tubes. What exactly is this switch and how should i use it. Also whats a good set of tubes whether it be pre or power, to get my dual rec to sound much tighter and less mushy because right now im not even close to liking the tone im getting. Thats kinda why ive been getting into trying to learn everything i can about everything with tube amps, specifically mine and how i can make it better. thanks for your time and sorry for the newbie questions.

7581A's will help as the power tubes. Leave yourself on 6L6 for these tubes. They make my 2 ch Dual really tight. Others have found EL-34's to be a good choice. It just depends upon what you want. If you choose an EL-34 you will just slide the switch to the EL-34 setting with the new tubes. There are even some running odd mixes of tubes that are combinations that have been tested as normally operating within the specs that the amp requires. Read up on this stuff because there are many posts about this stuff here. A nice set of preamp tubes would be cool too. Tung-Sol is popular right now for at least V1. You might like JJ's though too. The current chinese tube (C9) is decent also. Some have been finding the Mullard reissue to be a nice tube. Read some of the other tube posts to gain knowledge about the preamp tube flavors.

your el34/6l6 bias switch needs to be set on the tubes you are currently running. you said you have 6l6's in there right now, so it must be on the
6l6 setting,,,,,if you ever decide to try el34's you must remember to change that switch to the el34 setting and so on.. dont run it on the wrong settings,,I have read in these forums about people having probs because of that.

Latest posts

Back