Switched To a Road King 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Muscles

Reaction score
So I had a chance to have both amps side by side for a while - well a few days anyway - and I think that they are both great amps. For me - though - the Road King 2 suits my playing style a bit more and so I had the chance to do a straight across trade - my Mark V combo for the RK2 combo and I had to do it. SO if anyone wants a Mark V combo that is bareley used and can't find one - PM me and I will tell you where to grab it at a discount price. It is NOT at Mesa Boogie Hollywood.

Anyway here's my $.02 FWIW

Clean channels cancel each other out - both are great - both are similar - Nuff said

Mark V combo sounds best with a closed back extension cab. The combo itself only produces half the sound quality available. I returned my closed back to Mesa Hollywood after making the trade - but it really did make a huge difference in the tone, instantly.

I was able to get very close to the Mark IV settings "liquid lead" sound using an Xotic BB on Vintage settings of Channel 3 on the RK2 and rolling back the bass. I could not duplicate the Road King drive channels on the MKV. The low end and growl.... is just not there even when plugged into a 4x12.

Using Diode rectifiers on the RK tightens up the bass quite a bit on channels 3 & 4 and I found that this was a cool feature to get closer to the Mark sound.

To get a Marshally sounding medium OD crunch rhythm tone - which is more my style - I found both amps can get there with pedals in Channel 2 "crunch" on the Mark V using the BB or a Carl Martin Plexi Tone (for a more accurate marshall sound). Channel 3 Vintage on the RK with the gain rolled back using the same pedals is pretty much straight up Marshall JCM 800 with a Rat. A Barber LTD also sounds pretty Marshally on both amps and very transparent. Adds that nice smooth midrange push that these amps seem to love.

Don't kill me for this - but I felt like the Mark V channel 3 (mark IV setting) was missing for lack of a better term - some bass frequencies - even when plugged into a 4x12 cab - and - that the RK2 was over the top with the bass - even as a combo. I am keeping the bass below 12:00 or right around there for most settings on teh RK and I had the V's settings pretty much like the Petrucci settings and the classic V with the highs a bit lower. Maybe this is how they are designed - had I thought about it I would have recorded them and put them on a spectral analyzer to see where they line up. Just didn't have the time. Perhaps the reason the Mark series channel 3 is so tight sounding is that there are frequencies that are just low shelved out. Turning up the bass on the V just adds flub. It feels tight - but also like a lot of the low end comes from the cabinet you are using not the amp itself. Almost like a Scholz Rockman Sustainer (I can already hear the flames) - which is a great unit as well. I'm not bashing - just making an observation. It sounds big - but it sounds upper mid big - not full range big.

If you are looking for the MK IIC+ absolutely correct vintage to a T sound and feel - then I doubt you'll get it with the RK. I could care less about it - because to me it just sounds like a lower gain "tighter" version of the Mark IV sound - so flame on if it makes you happy. It is just a sound that I don't use - but I quite like it when I hear other people play it. Go figure...

Seriously though - I love both of the amps - I wish the Road King was not so **** HEAVY. The Mark 1 sound of channel 2 is beautiful and musical - but I wish it was not so dark.

The Road King foot controller is wayyyy toooo loooooong. I love the Mark V's as a comparison.

The RK2 does occasionally POP when switching channels - where The Mark V didn't. At least mine didn't. Switching on the Mark V is faster and seems more seamless.

Ultimately I took the Road King because I could dial it in faster there are 2 FX loops and the 4th channel is a big bonus. The Mark V is a better looking amp (according to my wife) and way easier to transport. I miss it already after last nights gig. Now I need a chiropractor....

Uncle Muscles said:
So I had a chance to have both amps side by side for a while - well a few days anyway - and I think that they are both great amps. For me - though - the Road King 2 suits my playing style a bit more and so I had the chance to do a straight across trade - my Mark V combo for the RK2 combo and I had to do it. SO if anyone wants a Mark V combo that is bareley used and can't find one - PM me and I will tell you where to grab it at a discount price. It is NOT at Mesa Boogie Hollywood.

Anyway here's my $.02 FWIW

Clean channels cancel each other out - both are great - both are similar - Nuff said

Mark V combo sounds best with a closed back extension cab. The combo itself only produces half the sound quality available. I returned my closed back to Mesa Hollywood after making the trade - but it really did make a huge difference in the tone, instantly.

I was able to get very close to the Mark IV settings "liquid lead" sound using an Xotic BB on Vintage settings of Channel 3 on the RK2 and rolling back the bass. I could not duplicate the Road King drive channels on the MKV. The low end and growl.... is just not there even when plugged into a 4x12.

Using Diode rectifiers on the RK tightens up the bass quite a bit on channels 3 & 4 and I found that this was a cool feature to get closer to the Mark sound.

To get a Marshally sounding medium OD crunch rhythm tone - which is more my style - I found both amps can get there with pedals in Channel 2 "crunch" on the Mark V using the BB or a Carl Martin Plexi Tone (for a more accurate marshall sound). Channel 3 Vintage on the RK with the gain rolled back using the same pedals is pretty much straight up Marshall JCM 800 with a Rat. A Barber LTD also sounds pretty Marshally on both amps and very transparent. Adds that nice smooth midrange push that these amps seem to love.

Don't kill me for this - but I felt like the Mark V channel 3 (mark IV setting) was missing for lack of a better term - some bass frequencies - even when plugged into a 4x12 cab - and - that the RK2 was over the top with the bass - even as a combo. I am keeping the bass below 12:00 or right around there for most settings on teh RK and I had the V's settings pretty much like the Petrucci settings and the classic V with the highs a bit lower. Maybe this is how they are designed - had I thought about it I would have recorded them and put them on a spectral analyzer to see where they line up. Just didn't have the time. Perhaps the reason the Mark series channel 3 is so tight sounding is that there are frequencies that are just low shelved out. Turning up the bass on the V just adds flub. It feels tight - but also like a lot of the low end comes from the cabinet you are using not the amp itself. Almost like a Scholz Rockman Sustainer (I can already hear the flames) - which is a great unit as well. I'm not bashing - just making an observation. It sounds big - but it sounds upper mid big - not full range big.

If you are looking for the MK IIC+ absolutely correct vintage to a T sound and feel - then I doubt you'll get it with the RK. I could care less about it - because to me it just sounds like a lower gain "tighter" version of the Mark IV sound - so flame on if it makes you happy. It is just a sound that I don't use - but I quite like it when I hear other people play it. Go figure...

Seriously though - I love both of the amps - I wish the Road King was not so **** HEAVY. The Mark 1 sound of channel 2 is beautiful and musical - but I wish it was not so dark.

The Road King foot controller is wayyyy toooo loooooong. I love the Mark V's as a comparison.

The RK2 does occasionally POP when switching channels - where The Mark V didn't. At least mine didn't. Switching on the Mark V is faster and seems more seamless.

Ultimately I took the Road King because I could dial it in faster there are 2 FX loops and the 4th channel is a big bonus. The Mark V is a better looking amp (according to my wife) and way easier to transport. I miss it already after last nights gig. Now I need a chiropractor....

You gotta go by what you like, not what anyone here likes.

I have a RK 1. I know channels one and two on the RK2 are improved over the RK 1, but really check out channel 2 on Brit mode setup with EL34. It sounds incredible (to me anyway) on my RK1. It can only sound better on the RK2. You will have to tweak, but you can get some great old school classic Rock tones out of that. Much more classic rock then vintage on channel 3 or 4.

I wish Mesa would release a two channel amp that was essentially channels one and two of the roadking with maybe a touch more gain on channel 2 (Maybe add a lead drive knob with a pull bright like on the Mark IV). And have progressive linkage so you can setup your cleans with the 6L6's and you crunch with the EL34's.

You know I was going to pop in a pair of 34's I bought at Mesa and then this deal came up and I had to scramble to make it all happen in the time allotted. So no - I never did.

primal said:
You gotta go by what you like, not what anyone here likes.

I have a RK 1. I know channels one and two on the RK2 are improved over the RK 1, but really check out channel 2 on Brit mode setup with EL34. It sounds incredible (to me anyway) on my RK1. It can only sound better on the RK2. You will have to tweak, but you can get some great old school classic Rock tones out of that. Much more classic rock then vintage on channel 3 or 4.

I wish Mesa would release a two channel amp that was essentially channels one and two of the roadking with maybe a touch more gain on channel 2 (Maybe add a lead drive knob with a pull bright like on the Mark IV). And have progressive linkage so you can setup your cleans with the 6L6's and you crunch with the EL34's.

Yeah an amp like that would be sweet. I must say that the brit channel is a bit harsh to my ears especially with EL34's. I thought it would be creamier - but maybe I just have to spend some time with it. I like Channel 2 FAT with the gain up and treble at around 2:00 running the 2x2 pairs. Lots of nice mild breakup and then hit it with a BB or LTD and it sings for days.

Hey man, you like what you like, and use what you like and need. Only you can make that call for yourself, just as everyone else has to for themselves....

Glad to hear you were able to compare and found whats right for you. I appreciated the comparison review.

If I was in a simuliar situation and found myself liking a different amp better, there,s no brand name, or model loyality; you go with what works for you and your style...end of story. No one here is playing your amp, you are.

Besides, you,re still a fellow Boogie man!

Jam out & rock on!

Shang Chi 66 said:
Hey man, you like what you like, and use what you like and need. Only you can make that call for yourself, just as everyone else has to for themselves....

Glad to hear you were able to compare and found whats right for you. I appreciated the comparison review.

If I was in a simuliar situation and found myself liking a different amp better, there,s no brand name, or model loyality; you go with what works for you and your style...end of story. No one here is playing your amp, you are.

Besides, you,re still a fellow Boogie man!

Jam out & rock on!

+100000... I am glad that you have found youre voice. On the other hand i find your wifes reaction cute, it reminds me of that of my gf.. its always more important how the gear looks like to them, THEN comes the sound :lol: enjoy!

the road king on channel three, vintage 50 watts is like the manual says, "the creamiest tone we have ever heard" or something like that. The V cannot duplicate this incredible 50 watt tone. I cannot beleive the thin sounds coming out of the c+ mode, the VI is the best but lacks sustain, i cant believe I just said that but it is true. I cant hold the note the way i like to. the older maks have more sustain. The extreme in my op is to simulate some sort of recto sounds, its not a liquid lead mode. I believe the RK II ch. 3 is one of the best modes I have ever "felt" and heard.

rizboog said:
the road king on channel three, vintage 50 watts is like the manual says, "the creamiest tone we have ever heard" or something like that. The V cannot duplicate this incredible 50 watt tone. I cannot beleive the thin sounds coming out of the c+ mode, the VI is the best but lacks sustain, i cant believe I just said that but it is true. I cant hold the note the way i like to. the older maks have more sustain. The extreme in my op is to simulate some sort of recto sounds, its not a liquid lead mode. I believe the RK II ch. 3 is one of the best modes I have ever "felt" and heard.

I said all this already as well and people think I'm nuts. The entire 3rd channel on the V sucks
as well as 2\3rds of the second channel. Not to mention the lousy eq, botched fx loop and the cheap
made in china feel of the whole amp. A HUGE letdown.

The Road King smokes the V, you made a good choice UM dont regret it.

JohnDNJ said:
rizboog said:

I said all this already as well and people think I'm nuts. The entire 3rd channel on the V sucks
as well as 2\3rds of the second channel. Not to mention the lousy eq, botched fx loop and the cheap

congratulation on your quest finding your own sound!! you must be a rhythm player.......

salvatruco said:
JohnDNJ said:
rizboog said:

congratulation on your quest finding your own sound!! you must be a rhythm player.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up974ri3Sjo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v000O_fBFrQ

k :roll:

Nice -- its funny I had the exact opposite experience. I had a Road King II for 4 days and just couldn't bond with it and returned it.

On the flip side I fell in love with the V within the first 10 minutes.

I can't believe you switched to another amp without MIDI!

... Ha.

That is a helluva deal you got there though. $2700 amp for $2100 amp 8)

Yeah, well... to be honest my midi gear doesn't sound all that great to me with the 2 Boogie amps I had. It sounds kind of sterile to me - like it sucked the tone right out of it. So I'm going stripped down with a few pedals and that is working out - sounds great, very organic and musical - no programming, level matching, tweaking etc... I am still a huge advocate of midi switching on guitar amps though as opposed to whatever it is that Mesa has going on now. For instance the road king controller is just a ridiculously long beast of a pedal. I laughed out loud when I first saw it. The M5 pedal is such a better layout. But because there is no midi - If I wanted to toss it and use a midi pedal of choice to switch channels/functions I am SOL without an amp gizmo - and of course that is more crap to buy, plug in, program, carry, and maintain. Egnater, Diezel, H&K and a few other companies have that part right. Midi switching is the future, it is cheap, it lets you pick how you want to control your amp without an intermediate "translator" box. Also if your cord goes kaput at a gig, a 20 foot midi cable is like $12 and are pretty easy to score from another musician or sound guy at a gig.

Uncle,

How 'bout a vid of you playing the RK to a backing track? I noticed you're a Jeff Beck fan, I was thinking "Freeway Jam" or " 'Cause We've Ended as Lovers". I'm not really getting a feel for the sound of the amp just hearing a couple of chord smacks on each channel.

Thanks,

jbw

not discounting ANYBODYS opinion!!!! but this is my experience:

i own a road king 1 2x12 combo which i have had for couple years and had my mark V head now for a few weeks. i have put in jj's from eurotubes in both amps. the tube replacement in the road king made the biggest noticable difference between the 2.

i have been recording and running them through the same cabinets for comparisons. i typically used the rk on channel 3 vintage for my heavier tones, rarely used channel 4 and 2 on it. mark on channel 3 on the mark IV setting sounds KILLER, dont understand the "not enough gain or bass" complaints, though i do wish the mark IIc+ voicing had a bit more and i dont care for the exreme voicing much. what the mark can do on channel 2 is just amazing, just cannot get any of those sounds that nicely out of the rk, to dark but can get very close tweaking channel 3. the mark is so punchy and the crunch voicing is just a killer rock n roll setting and the edge is creeping closely to the older jcm tones, just more scooped and tight. the rk has a thing all its own going and the el34's would close in on the marshall thing but just not quite as lively in the top end.

have other amps i used for the clean sounds, though sometimes the rk channel 1 would be just the right tone for clean guitar sounds though it would not saturate and od nicely when driven. where the mark channel 1 saturates so nicely and is actually touch sensitive. it will go from chimey clean to grungy just by pick attack. the tweed setting on the mark has no competitor in the mesa line of amps. it is just amazing! the first mesa i have played that loves a strat this much!!!

the mark has so much more "tone" if you will, the rk is all gain and low end in comparison and very dark. the mark i also found WAY easier to dial in. i think it took me a year to get the rk dialed in and was

the mark has no where near the saturation of the rk, but it is so much more defined, punchy and focused than the rk.

Back