Swapped out the 6L6 tubes for EL34's here is my review...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well every since I purchased my ED, I've been playing it with the stock 6L6 tubes in it. The sound was good but I was wondering what this amp might sound like with EL34's in it. I searched the internet for some videos demoing the amp with EL43's but I didn't find any clips.

Since I had a set of Tung Sol EL34's in my Marshall JCM200 DSL head, I decided to take them out and install them in the ED to give it a spin.

So I swapped the tubes and tried out the amp. WOW! I'm loving the sound of the EL34's. The amp has a more Marshally sound to it. The overdrive sounds great to me. The only thing is that the clean is not as clean sounding as with the 6L6 tubes. I don't know if it is just me but I also think that the low E string sounds a little more flubby with the EL34's. not bad but maybe just a little less tight.

Has anyone else tried this, and what was your experience? Are you running 6L6 or EL34's?

Let me know

I have EL34s in my head and 6L6s in my 2x12 combo. I find myself playing thru the
head most of the time, and I do run the combo thru my cab.

ed_3.JPG

72.JPG

Birdy said:
I have EL34s in my head and 6L6s in my 2x12 combo. I find myself playing thru the
head most of the time, and I do run the combo thru my cab.

ed_3.JPG

72.JPG

Man, you have solved the shared EQ problem between the dirty and clean modes.

Not to steal the thread regarding tube tone comparisons but,
running them in stereo about 20 feet apart with the combo/V30s/6L6s
set clean and the head/EL34s/greenbacks set for "stun" on the blue....
...............well........it's just :mrgreen:

Two Mesas in stereo is always great! Similar exp with the EL34 / 6L6 switch with my MKV. Used JJ EL34's. They were cheap and gave that additional more marshally tone.

Well im glad to see this thread-- I got my ED two weeks ago and love it thus far. Was coming here to ask folks what they think about the 6L6 stock tubes vs EL34's...

Any other feedback?

Not an ED owner yet. Narrowed it down to the ED or the LSC but am leaning toward ED.

So any ED owners get some tubes from Eurotubes yet?

ok - i need to resurrect this thread...

it seems that the consensus is that with EL34's in the ED, the cleans 'take a hit'

can someone please elaborate on this?! because one man's 'hit' may be another man's 'grail'!

and for OD tones - which ends up smoother? darker? more compressed? 6L6, or EL34?

i'm struggling to smooth things out a bit, and i'm torn between buying a set of EL34's or adding an AC booster to my board! (to stack w/the BB!)

I'd probably LOVE the "Hit" that the 34's take as I never play totally clean. I might give this a wirl! If the Clean Channel starts to break up I'd most likely dig it!

...my sentiments exactly...
if you got some 34's laying around PLEASE pop them in and report back!

I have some 34s. I'm popping them in and heading out to a few gigs over the next couple days... I'll get back with a review shortly...

why can't Mesa or another brand manufacture/design a tube amp that has 2xEL34 (for dirty) and 2x6L6 (for clean) and footswitchable b/n these two channels? Isn't that what 90%+ of all guitar players really need?

Just chiming in because I said I would... I did gig 34s in my ED last week and in short didn't find huge gains in dirt but noticed a considerably lack of depth in the cleans. Contrary to what I thought might happen, the cleans did not break up earlier, they just lost some dimension. The gain was just a touch toothier which was welcomed in the low-gain setting- when I roll off the volume knob there was more bite, which was nice. Overall it wasn't a move that worked for me but of course, YMMV. I'm sure I'll walk in on someone's gig where they are running an ED with 34s and think it sounds amazing....

Joe Gamble said:
I'm sure I'll walk in on someone's gig where they are running an ED with 34s and think it sounds amazing....

it's the hands man. JH would sound pretty **** good with a Line6, believe it or not.

also depends how loud you crank the master/outputs. get it up to noon and you'll hear the grind/mids roar.

rabies said:
why can't Mesa or another brand manufacture/design a tube amp that has 2xEL34 (for dirty) and 2x6L6 (for clean) and footswitchable b/n these two channels? Isn't that what 90%+ of all guitar players really need?

Actually Egnater amps have this feature. Its really cool and best of all the amps sound great and don't cost an arm and a leg. Check out the video clip of the Egnater Renegade...

Here is the link!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIZvBQabUdw

Joe Gamble said:
Just chiming in because I said I would... I did gig 34s in my ED last week and in short didn't find huge gains in dirt but noticed a considerably lack of depth in the cleans. Contrary to what I thought might happen, the cleans did not break up earlier, they just lost some dimension. The gain was just a touch toothier which was welcomed in the low-gain setting- when I roll off the volume knob there was more bite, which was nice. Overall it wasn't a move that worked for me but of course, YMMV. I'm sure I'll walk in on someone's gig where they are running an ED with 34s and think it sounds amazing....

Mind telling us what 34 tubes you tried in the amp?

Back