Suhr Riot

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently acquired a riot a couple weeks ago and I use it with a Lonestar Classic. What questions do you have?

Basic questions, how do you like it, kind of tones you are going for with it, vol roll off clean factor ect?? Thanks

It sounds pretty good. I've used through alot of different, fender-style amps. I use mainly a les paul with '57s

The pedal has 3 way toggle switch, Germanium, Hot-Rodded Marshall, and Scooped Marshall. I use mainly the hot-rodded marsall tone. The voicing of the pedal is really bass heavy, similar to a dual-rectifier so, coupled with the LSC, you find that it has alot of low end thump. Some may like this, others may not. It just depends on what you're going for.

The Pros: You can finally get that high-gain sound you've been looking for in the Lonestar. It has a ton of gain on tap (I'm usually at Noon) and it sounds very much like a modded marshall/Dual rectifier. The treble doesn't get too out of hand when turned up and with the natural compression of a cranked amp you get a good solid tone. The lead tone is great too, it's not too buzzy and has more of a quality similar to maybe a Mark IV. Hard to describe, but it still retains the fatness you would expect.

The low end thump of the pedal makes alot of heavier riffs and palm muting have a more percussive quality. It can do modern rock tones in spades and with a little eq adjustment from the amp, I was able to get within the ballpark of an 80s hard rock tone like Van Halen.

The Cons:
The Pedal itself isn't very good in the low ranges of the gain, anything below 11:00 on the dial and it just kind of sounds like a DS-1, and loses alot of the balls and tone. I think it's just made to be a high-gain box. Volume knob roll-off isn't great either. The roll-off is VERY MUCH like an amp, but who would ever roll off the volume know when playing through a dual-rectifier or modded marshall? You don't really get a lower gain or overdriven sound from those amps, you wont get it through this pedal.

Like most things high-gain you lose alot of the midrange and the ability to cut through especially if you use the 3rd toggle switch (scooped marshall). For me, I set it just below how much gain I would actually want to use and I end up being able to cut through better. I also boost the mids a little bit.

The Low end of the pedal isn't as tight as a real amp. It's still relatively loose. So don't expect to be able to play any intricate metal riffs with it. It can pull of the saturation of metal, but it can't retain the tightness of a real amp like a Mark IV or a Dual Rectifier. Still, it does a relatively good job

Conclusions: at around $200 It's pretty much the high gain sound I've been looking for in a pedal. I don't think theres a pedal out there that can do it. However, it's VERY VERY sensitive to the amp you play through it. Every type of amp I've played through has made the pedal sound very different. Gotta really try it through the amps you like/play

Back