Suggested Demo settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragginshred

Reaction score
Heading the guitar center this weekend to demo an ED. Any suggestions for settings to get some good tones and circumvent any potential frustration trying to figure it out. Looking for SRV -Andy Timmons to Vai tones. thanks

If you have the Bass, Mid, Treble, or Presence outside of the 10:00-2:00 window, then you are having to compensate for something in your guitar. Volume and Master are more of a preference thing. The midrange pot on the ED has much more control than on the Mark series amps. Do not be afraid to try a boost out front if Vintage HI does not deliver enough gain for your tastes. I do have STR-450 EL-34's and NOS preamp tubes in mine, so YMMV.

Pay attention to the gain trim switch in the back.

If it is set to Hi/Lo, you will lose gain because it will essentially "trim" the gain on the Hi/lo settings.

If you want the most gain on you high gain channel with the least breakup in the clea setting, set the gain trim switch to clean.

Remember Volume is actually gain. As you adjust this you may need to adjust the level between the clean and overdrive channels. You do this with the clean trim knob in the back right above the gain trim switch.

Don't be afraid to max it. This is one Mesa where the usable gain is the entire sweep of the knob. My preference is about 3:00. But I have definately noticed that this amp is very responsive to the guitar. I have an ESP with lower output Pup and I will put the gain around 4:00. With my fender, it has a Seymour Duncan JB4. With it I set the gain to 2:00-3:00.

This is also the first mesa that I actually run my mids higher then my bass.

I think you can safely start with everything at noon and tweak to your preference.

Edit: Everything at noon except the Master. You put the Master at noon and you will be replacing the windows in the store. This is the loudest Mesa I have cranked.

Latest posts

Back