Subbing LSS 5Y3 with 5U4 Question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidinus

Reaction score
(I can't find the post I skimmed using the search function)...

I read some LSS owners are doing that.

Anyone used a 5U4 with no issues? I like the idea, tired of blown recifier tubes - and the occasional fuse...

raf

I just switched mine back to a 5Y3! I had some strange overheating problems that would burn up the power tubes on occassion. Could have been a bad rectifier tube, but I decided to play it safe. If you get a good 5Y3, it will serve you well for a long time. Boogie now provides NOS Phillips 5Y3 Rectifiers because their new "made for Boogie" version of the 5Y3 was unreliable at best.

Thanks for the response! Yeah what you said was my one hesitation - that it might run just a bit hot.
I'll check out the Boogie site and order up an NOS 5Y3.

Thanks again!

raf

Are the NOS 5y3's labled in any way, other than {MESA}? I ask because my LSS came with what looks like the same old rectifier as before. Even though I havent had trouble I swaped it for a NOS Jan/bendix. Is it just in my head or can you hear a diffrence?

z

If you order the 5Y3 from Mesa, it will come in an unmarked plain white cardboard box, not the usual Mesa Packaging, although the tube will have the Mesa stamp. I did like the way it sounded with the 5U4 better. Channel 2 was tighter and more focused. The 5Y3 has the most sag of any of the rectifier tubes used in Mesa amps. The 5U4 was an attempt to get a more modern tone on Channel 2, although using the 30W setting (taking the rectifier tube out of the signal path completely) accomplishes the same thing. I can't tell you if the new 5Y3 sounds better than the original because I had the 5U4 in the amp for 6 months between the two.

I had a 5U4 in for a while but got nervous about it. I put a few different NOS tubes in. All of them were very loose. I recently had my LSS in for service and the tech replaced the rectifier tube with a new one from Mesa (I assume something NOS). The bottom end tightened up considerably with a perfect amount of sag. I never imagined the LSS could get better but it is now amazing. I can actually use the 5 & 15W settings for rhythm and not just leads.

Latest posts

Back