stupid hypothetical RKI/RKII question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broknstuff

Reaction score
I was just thinking today...

Let's say you want to use a preamp along with the roadking (I know, it already has 4 channels, but just for shits and giggles), can you do that and choose what pair of poweramp tubes the preamp sees (assuming you have the necesary switcher)? I assume it can use it whatever pair of powertubes are assigned to either of the 4 channels, but let's say you have a combination of tubes that you want to use with the preamp, but that you don't use with any of the other channels. Is it still possible to set it up (let's say you want to use 2xel34s with the seperate preamp but you don't have that set up with any of your other channels)?

Thanks for entertaining the though,

Diego

Without looking at my Road King, I think you can set a channel to have the serial FX loop (FX loop 1) on all the time and then use the other 3 channels as normal (as long as you don't use the FX loop) and then when you want, you can switch to the channel you have assigned to use with the external preamp and it will work that way

I think???

Yes, this is possible. Best way to do all the switching is with something like a Ground Control GCX switcher. Guitar signal would go into the GCX and switch between the Road King guitar input or the preamp input, or BOTH! :twisted: The GCX would also take care of switching the channels on the Road King. You would connect the output of the preamp into the return of the parallel FX loop and set it to 50%. This way, you can run both the Road King preamp and the external preamp at the same time. Balance between the two would depend mainly on the channel master volume on each Road King channel and the master output on the preamp. There might be the possiblity that the preamp signal would be out of phase with the Road King when running simultaneously, but this can be fixed.

I have thought about doing this before with a Triaxis, but never got around to it. Good luck!

thanks, I was thinking of upgrading to the roadster (currently have a dual recto), but then thought hey why not go big and maybe check out the roadking II (not onyl for the great number of channels/switching options, but also for the serial effects loop). It won't happen for a while, but it's always fun to get the think tank/gear obsession rolling.

If you are using 4 channels all on 4x6L6s and you want the preamp to run 2xEL34 + 2x6L6 then that won't work. You need to decide what poweramp tubes you want to use on the preamp and set one channel of the RK to that.

Because if you were asking the question i *think* you were asking, then no you cannot do that. But you can easily run a pre-amp in your RK. And each channel of the RK can be set to use a different setup of power tubes.

Areola said:
If you are using 4 channels all on 4x6L6s and you want the preamp to run 2xEL34 + 2x6L6 then that won't work. You need to decide what poweramp tubes you want to use on the preamp and set one channel of the RK to that.

Because if you were asking the question i *think* you were asking, then no you cannot do that. But you can easily run a pre-amp in your RK. And each channel of the RK can be set to use a different setup of power tubes.

that's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. Time to start saving up... :D

Latest posts

Back