Studio Series

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Reaction score
I've got an old "Studio Series" amp. I think it's the older version of the 22, and 22+. I bought it used about 10 years ago. It doesn't have the 5 band EQ, and the speaker had been replaced. The speaker looks like a Peavey. The one with the big magnet? Maybe a Scorpion? Either way, it sounds great! I've plated quite a few of the 22s, and 22+ amps, and actually prefer my older one. It seems to have a sweeter, rounder high end. Or, maybe I'm just more used to my own amp. I don't know. There is a difference in how the controls are layed out. The back has an effects loop, and a direct out, with a level control. I think that's the same. On the front panel, the controls from left to right are, volume, master, treb, bass, mid, reverb. I think the 22s have an extra master, or something. Has anyone tried the older amp?

I had a Studio Series for a couple of years-It also had a Peavey-replaced with a 30w Greenback Celestion which really opened up the sound. I too liked its sweet sound and its simple design, though the later editions improved dramatically in terms of workmanship. The only thing I didn't like was the lag time between channel switching. I really like all of the Studio amps--they're plenty loud, and acoustic guitars sound surprisingly good through them...They took on the characteristics of whatever guitar was being used, and can be found for good prices used. I do, however, prefer the flexibility of the 22+ with EQ.

I've been thinking of a new speaker. Maybe the Celestion Blue. I haven't heard one yet, but everything I read says that they're great. I've also thought about the Vintage 30. I just think the lower wattage speaker would sound really warm, as opposed to the 30. Have you heard the Blue?

Hi

I have one just like that. It has a black shadow speaker in it.
This little amp sounds great. I use it with an old Guild CE100-D Archtops for souljazz\blues tones. very nice amp.
Mine has a beautifull hardwood cabinet and a wicker front. looks realy sweet.

The Class A power circuit is different on the older Studio Series and .22 models, and a lot of people prefer the sound for that reason.

For those of you with the Studio Series", I'm curious what your serial numbers are. MB doesn't have a record of how many were produced before changing the name to Studio .22, but I suspect it was somewhere between 150 and 200.

I havn't tried the "Blue" but I have a Weber "Blue Dog" in my 22+

It's a 30 watt, alnico, no dope. Sounds great in the 22+

The Silver Bell is great in the 22 as well. I've tried the blue dog & silver bells in both the alnico and ceramic versions, all were "keepers"

I've tried a V30, and was unimpressed. Oddly, I have a pair of V30's in a '69 Twin Reverb, and they work GREAT in that application...I had JBL D-120F's in there before.

MarkPurney said:
The Class A power circuit is different on the older Studio Series and .22 models, and a lot of people prefer the sound for that reason.

For those of you with the Studio Series", I'm curious what your serial numbers are. MB doesn't have a record of how many were produced before changing the name to Studio .22, but I suspect it was somewhere between 150 and 200.

Just bought my first Mesa Boogie, a Studio Series, off Ebay. Mark, I'll double check it, but I believe my serial number is "SS149". So far I haven't really tried the amp out yet, it came to me a little messed up, had to take it to the shop...the drive channel was screwed up and the EQ toggle didn't work right. Anyway, it's good to find someone else with this amp, I can't find much info on it!

Tom in L.A.

Yes, SS149 - I know it well. I was in contact with the seller during the auction. Our amps were close neighbors at the factory. Take a look at my serial number:

SS147.jpg

As a long time lurker on this board, I decided to finally register and pop my head up. Since I have been in the background, I have re-tubed my Studio .22. I am the original owner, purchased in ~'87. It's is a great amp and now even better with the new tubes. I am still not quite clear on the differences between the Studio Series, Studio .22 and the +22. Thanks for all the info!
-patocaster

Latest posts

Back