Studio Preamp... similar sound to what combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyldh

Reaction score
I used to own a Studio Preamp and I absolutely loved the tones I got out of it. I didn't have as much use for just a stand-alone preamp as I thought I would, so I sold it a couple years later.

I'd love to pick up an old Mesa combo to use at small Coffee House gigs. Prefer a smaller 10" combo over a 12". The smaller the better; I have my Roadster for larger venues.

I have little experience with the older Mesa gear, so my question is... what combo will sound similar to that Studio Preamp?

Wasn't the Studio Pre-amp was inspired from the Studio .22?

I think during the 80's where rackmount was popular, many were using their Studio .22s and use the pre-amp out which the signal were sent to power amps. Thus the Studio .22 was born.

I think that was the story of the Studio Pre-amp.

Similar name... similar look... makes sense to me! :D Thanks.

The preamp in the Studio 22+ is pretty much identical to the Studio Preamp except for Studio Preamp's Lead Drive control, which can be added to the 22+ quite easily.

selectortone said:
The preamp in the Studio 22+ is pretty much identical to the Studio Preamp except for Studio Preamp's Lead Drive control, which can be added to the 22+ quite easily.
Oh wow, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't even noticed that when looking at pics. After you said that though, I did see some pics where someone labeled the Reverb knob "Lead Drive."

Not the end of the world I guess. I can either mod it like that or use a pedal.

The lead channel was great on the Studio Preamp, but honestly it was the clean that really blew me away.

Any other smaller Mesa combos I should be watching for a good deal on that would be along the same vein?

Back