Studio preamp, not getting a good clean sound.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbsmusic

Reaction score
My studio pre just does'nt seem to get a really good clean sound, I have to roll back the volume on my guitar to clean it up, it just seems to break up a little bit. Is that normal or does anyone have a good setting for me to try out? I LOVE the gain out of this thing though!!! Thank you for any feedback.

Hi, I own a Studio pre too and I can get a really good clean sound out of mine. With volume from 0 to 6.5 it stays perfectly clean even with detuned guitars with high output pickups, above 6.5 the character of the clean channel tends to change a little but the break up is soft even with volume at 10 and controlling your picking dynamics should let you maintain a clean sound. However I remember of some people having such a problem with the Studio pre... is yours the model with a 12AX7 driving the reverb circuit (V5 position I suppose)? Mine's got a lower gain 12AT7, don't know if that matters

You know I'm really not sure on the tubes, that stuff is above my head, I just play, I really dont mind rolling back the volume but if some had something for me to check out I'd give it a try. Thanks for the info!!

gbsmusic said:
You know I'm really not sure on the tubes, that stuff is above my head, I just play, I really dont mind rolling back the volume but if some had something for me to check out I'd give it a try. Thanks for the info!!
if you want to know, just open the chassis and look at the reverb driver tube (it's the one not in the row with the other four). Near the tube on the circuitboard it should be written 12AX7 or 12AT7 too.

I think you have to distinguish here, are you looking for a good clean sound and not worrying at all about the lead channel? Because when i had my studio pre i found it pretty close to impossible to have a great clean, but have a great crunchy high gain lead channel as well. One sacrifices the other. Best thing you can do would be to dial in your clean first, then work on the lead channel, but you may need a stomp box to get into the really high gain territory. I moved away from the studio for a while bcause of that very reason, couldnt get both a good clean, and a high gain rhythm tone, now i'm shoppin for a studio pre again since i'll be using a different preamp for my cleans.

EDIT - the thing with the the studio pre is really it is 1 channel cascaded into 2. The character and gain of the first channel spills over into the lead channel which is why the gain of channel 1 affects how much gain you will have in channel 2. Its basically just a single channel amp with an extra channel of gain added in.

I am running a TS9 right now just because of what you just said I've got my clean as clean as I can get it but when I switch over to the lead it's not as good, thats when I hit the TS9, but I'm still getting some break-up on my clean, the reason I put the question on here is I was reading the reviews on the studio and people were talking about the great cleans. I'm fine with hitting the TS9 but I'd just like to find a crystal clear clean.

Do you have the GEQ engaged? I usually had all the switches/pulls on as well, rhythm bright, all of that. It helps to drop the mids a bit on the graphic EQ on the studio pre. And keep all of the sliders below the 3/4 line, closer to the half, with the mid being below it. THats at least how i set it. And keep the output level around 5ish, too much and you'll get more preamp distortion, too little and the power amp will have to work a little harder.

Back