Studio Pre - Solo sound suggestions...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giglio

Reaction score
Hi guys..
Have you any idea to get a nice shred-solo-sound on my Studio pre?!?!
I mean: I have a g-sharp in the loop of the studio pre..the rythm distortion is ok, but there's not enough gain...so I use my TS to overload the front amp...but it also lacks of volume, so I can't cut through the mix!!
Suggestions?!
Thanks..
Giglio

What kind of guitar, pickups, power amp, speakers, cab, etc? Those will all make a big difference. The Studio pre should have lots of gain, being a Mark series pre and all. And a Tube Screamer in front should make it scream even more! Should not be an issue to shred with it, that's for sure.

-dave

jaquetapus said:
What kind of guitar, pickups, power amp, speakers, cab, etc? Those will all make a big difference. The Studio pre should have lots of gain, being a Mark series pre and all. And a Tube Screamer in front should make it scream even more! Should not be an issue to shred with it, that's for sure.

-dave[/quote

+1 Here. I actually feel like I get a great lead tone out of my rig(at least for me :) ) and I don't even use an OD pedal and my gain is set at around 6 + or -. The other element not mentioned above is what tubes are you running???

Hi!
I have a classic EMG set in a KH-2, MV-962 as a power amp and different cabs..
Don't get me wrong, the tone is WONDERFUL! Maybe it lacks in gain just because I have my input level on 5-6, because I also need clean...and yeah, lead gain is also on 6, to have a nice thick rythm...so, I solved the problem with a TS, but it lacks in VOLUME..everything is fine, but I can't cut the mix...
I know many people (like you guys) not only don't use a micro amp in the loop, but also no TS..I'm wondering...how the f***?!?
:D

Mids are already there!! I don't like V shape..
More mids would change my sound too much... :(
I've always heard of TS in effects loop to ingrease volume (not in front, to add gain)..
I tried but it didn't work!! Whyyy?!
Thanks...

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd add something here. Before you add an OD/Dist. pedal you might try placing an EQ infront of your preamp and then one in the loop. The advantage of having it in front of the preamp is that you can decide which freqs you want to emphisize within the gain structure. I use a Carl Martin parametric in front of my Studio Pre, which is my lead ch., along with an MXR M-108. My leads cut through dynamically with seemingly tons of gain, but in truth there's not as much needed when EQ'd well. I run a similar EQ setup through my Recto Pre, which is my rhythm ch., and am able to cater my sound to deep grind yet have full chord clarity.

Giglio said:
Mids are already there!! I don't like V shape..
More mids would change my sound too much... :(
I've always heard of TS in effects loop to ingrease volume (not in front, to add gain)..
I tried but it didn't work!! Whyyy?!
Thanks...
you should put the overdrive pedal in front of the preamp, not in the loop!

my settings are:
input gain (volume) around 6-7, trebble 8, bass 0-2, mids 4-5, lead gain 7-8, a bit v-shape eq, not too much.
no pedals in front
delay left 250ms, delay right 500ms and reverb (both come from the g-major)

with all this, i get a really nice lead-tone

+1
That's exactly why...
Anyway, I maneged to solve this issue just adding volume and mids on the lead patch of my g-major.
Still lacking some gain, to help me on legato and tapping, but when I know I need it, I just rise it up the lead gain while playing :)
Midibuddy + TS is not a solution my feet can handle while playing...I'd probably fall down from the stage!! Eheeheh

I only use my studio for leads so therefore I never have to fiddle around with any settings or additional inputs or changes on stage thanksfully. It's switched via the GCX so the EQ, Compression, & O/D come into play at that moment. (no tap dancing for me)

you only need more gain on the lead channel....so change the V2 and V3 tubes to some ECC83 with more output. e.g. JJs ECC803S - these tubes have more gain as a regular ECC83.

I will definitely try that!
@joe web: the amount of gain I have now (6/10) is ok for my rhythm work...I'd only need to be able to add that gain when I want it..I know, sounds like a whiny bi**h :lol:
@RectoStudioGuy: that is awesome! a little too much expensive, maybe...I suppose that you're a pro! I'm curious..what do you use for your cleans and rhythmic guitar?!

there would be another trick to do this....i´ve seen postings about the "reverb-gain-mod"
if you don´t need the reverb of your studio pre, you could change it to an extra gain-stage. so it is switchable via the rear jack.
take a look at here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29289&p=215675&hilit=studio+extra+gain#p215675

btw. i have a highgrade tube in V1, two JJs in V2+V3 and i can´t complain about not enough gain for solos.
my settings are 7 on the input volume and 5 on the lead gain. no "lead fat" only bright.
treble at 8, bass at 0, mids 3, 5-band EQ set to classic V-shape.

Giglio, perhaps try putting some compression & EQing in front of the preamp so that when you need it just step on it. Of course a descent O/D pedal wouldn't hurt you here either.
And to answer your question I just use a Recto Pre and an old 2120 VGS for my rhythms and cleans.

Thanks again for your answers guys!
@joe web: niiiiiiiice!! is this mod also easily reversible? and just to be clear: I do want less gain, to do my rhythm guitar and be tight...I have my lead gain at 6/10...I only need a gain boost when my solos start! and to complete this answer...:
@RectoStudioGuy: this is the best solution...to add an OD pedal, I know...but my only problem with that is the tap dancing!! I have to change patch on my g-major, to engage wah pedal (quite often) and to engage also an OD pedal!?! That would be too much! I want to focus on my hands, not on my feet!! :D :D :D
Thanks guys!!!

Back