Studio Pre. If you had to make a choice.......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bungle

Reaction score
This kind of a weird question I suppose, but could use some opinions.

I have recently dug out my rack which includes GSP-1101,ADA MP-1, and the Studio Pre. (long story short)

In the past, using the GSP-1101 via a AxessGRX4 controller, I used the ADA as main rhythm/clean tones while using the Mesa Studio as Lead tones exclusively (Gsp-1101 being the "effects")
Having messing around with the Studio Pre last night, and hitting on some clean settings I'm starting to think maybe using it instead as the exclusive clean tone monster.

Knowing the way the Studio is set up as far as EQ'ing goes and trying to find a happy medium between gain/clean tones, I figure I will give it 1 job and 1 job only.

Which one would you choose?....Use it for it's creamy lead, or for the crystal clear cleans?

I never had too much trouble getting both out of it. If I feel the lead channel is being compromised in order to get a sparkly clean, I just push the lead channel a bit with an OD, etc.

What I discovered a while back is that in the SP, the tubes have a HUGE effect on the channels personality.
I spent a day rolling tubes around the slots and my SP took on a whole new life. From great to AWESOME!!!!

I'll have to give that try....Should be easy enough because the GSP allows me to put a Dist. Pedal model in front of the Studio, and the GRX4 also has another loop allowing me to switch channels on the Mesa.....interesting...

Mongo1 said:
What I discovered a while back is that in the SP, the tubes have a HUGE effect on the channels personality.
I spent a day rolling tubes around the slots and my SP took on a whole new life. From great to AWESOME!!!!

what tubes did you use and what was the outcome ?

I like a more Marshally-crunch for rhythm work, so I say use the Studio for your "singing" leads!

Hahaaha,..just so happens I settled on that last night!!...Lead duty!!....Though,.being the scatterbrain I am, I'm sure it will change to clean sometime,..and back,..and back again,..and...

Latest posts

Back