Studio 22+, Which mod do I want

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Leggs

Reaction score
Recently bought a studio 22+ and I love it. I love the power tube break up in the clean channel and run volume one on 10. That also gives the lead channel the mojo I like. Backing volume one down diminishes the gain in both channels and isn't the sound I'm looking for. My problem is that even with lead master on 10, the lead channel isn't loud enough in relation to the clean channel. Is the lead mod going to solve my problem? Is there another mod that better suits my needs? Basically I need the lead master to go to 15. :? What can I do to make the lead channel louder without compromising the tones I'm after. Any help will we appreciated. THANK YOU !!!

I have no idea but I'll bump your post! My amp is loud as heck in the lead mode! I keep it turned way down though I have not tried it with the volume set to 10. The Lead Drive mod will not solve your problem. It makes the adjustable up to the existing gain.

Wow!
That is a good question because I find the clean channel breaks up a bit too much, for my tastes, at gig levels, anyway. So I never run 1st vol. any where near 10.
Although at bedroom levels, I must admit, I never really noticed.

And no, the lead volume mod won't help this.
The volume controls are inter-dependent on the 22+ (vol mod or not) so a compromise in settings may be the only solution.
Good luck with that. :D .

Buster Leggs said:
Recently bought a studio 22+ and I love it. I love the power tube break up in the clean channel and run volume one on 10.

How high do you have the master set? Unless it's cranked you're not getting power tube breakup.

Don said:
Buster Leggs said:
Recently bought a studio 22+ and I love it. I love the power tube break up in the clean channel and run volume one on 10.

How high do you have the master set? Unless it's cranked you're not getting power tube breakup.

Master at about 3, I just assumed it was power tube break up. Volume one on 10 and master on 3 in the clean channel sort of reminds me of rhythm 2 crunch on my old mark lll. Running with those settings proved to be "one trickish" though as the lead channel can't compete in volume. Lately I've been setting it at volume one on 5 and master on 4. It really dose have a nice clean channel but loses a little mojo in the lead channel. it still has volume balance issues but not near as bad and if I set the GEQ on auto I can boost lead channel volume enough. I would still like to know the before and after on the lead mod. That is to say what was your amp not doing before the mod that it dose now after you had it done. THANKS GUYS

The master would have to be cranked to get power tube distortion. With it the volume set to 10 and the master set to 3 you're getting preamp distortion.
I'm a blues guitarist and prefer the volume set to about 4 with humbuckers and 6 with single coils in the clean mode. I prefer the volume set lower- to about 2- in the lead mode. The lead drive mod lets me lower the gain in the lead mode without having to set the volume so low.

Buster Leggs said:
Recently bought a studio 22+ and I love it. I love the power tube break up in the clean channel and run volume one on 10. That also gives the lead channel the mojo I like. Backing volume one down diminishes the gain in both channels and isn't the sound I'm looking for. My problem is that even with lead master on 10, the lead channel isn't loud enough in relation to the clean channel. Is the lead mod going to solve my problem? Is there another mod that better suits my needs? Basically I need the lead master to go to 15. :? What can I do to make the lead channel louder without compromising the tones I'm after. Any help will we appreciated. THANK YOU !!!

PROBLEM SOLVED. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, probably because tube rolling isn't my forte, but after reading previous posts, my amp seemed to sound/work different than the studio 22's described by other members. I replaced V1 with a tung-sol and V2 with a mesa sp12ax7. I've backed volume 1 down to about 5 and run lead master on about 7. It has the balance I was looking for and sounds incredible. I do have some white noise that wasn't there before but it's not that bad, I can live with it. I'm not sure if the tubes I took out were bad or what. The one in V1 was hard to read but it looks like it had the numbers 6072 on it. The one in V2 was unidentifiable. I have some NOS tubes I could experiment with but the pre-amp sockets in the 22+ are a little flimsy, I think I'll just leave well enough alone in that amp for now.

Buster Leggs said:

I sent my Studio .22+ to Mike Bendinelli for him to add a fourth volume pot at the back of the chassis.
With this "Lead Drive" pot, you can dial the gain of the clean and the lead channels independently (it resembles more of a Mark II and III).

It is a very common mod in these amps.

igfraso said:
Buster Leggs said:

I sent my Studio .22+ to Mike Bendinelli for him to add a fourth volume pot at the back of the chassis.
With this "Lead Drive" pot, you can dial the gain of the clean and the lead channels independently (it resembles more of a Mark II and III).

It is a very common mod in these amps.

That would not have solved the issue that he had, though I did this mod to my own amp (I put the Lead Drive pot on the front and moved the reverb to the back) and I highly recommend it.

Latest posts

Back