Studio 22 speaker replacement

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevie C

Reaction score
Hello.....first post here. I just picked up a Studio .22 off the Bay. It's pretty clean and I'm retubing it with Mesa's. The speaker that is in it is a Celestion Sidewinder 150W, and it's not the greatest match with this amp, and I think it's due to be replaced anyway. What is the proper replacement speaker for this amp? I realize this is subjective, but I'm looking for the one that best suits the amp. I called Mesa and they recommended either the C90 or the Vintage 30. I've hooked it up to the C90 in my rectoverb and that had much better results, and also to a good friend's Splawn 2x12 cab with their speakers in it(not sure which one's though, but I think they were similar to V30's) and that was even better. I'm leaning V30. Opinions? Thanks.

My Studio.22 has a Black Shadow VS-12 which I believe was the stock speaker and made by Eminence. Personally I really like this speaker/amp combination but quite a few people on here aren't so keen. Probably quite hard to come by now due to the age of the unit but I'll stick my neck out and recommend it anyway.

Oh, and welcome to the Board!

I have tried both the V30 and C90 in my Studio 22+. I prefer the C90. :wink:
The V30 was too bright and trebly for this open back amp, IMHO. It loses bass.
A friend also has a 22+ with the stock VS-12 and it also sounds good and he gets compliments on the tone, but to me the C90 is the best of the 3.
However don't be afraid to look into other brands as well. There is so much out there now. I have been intrigued by Eminence's new Patriot and Red Coat series. It would be great to find a dealer that has cabs loaded with all these different speakers but I know that will be hard to do.

Good luck with that! :D

I wound up with an Eminence Private Jack in my 22+ and was very happy with the way it sounded. It now resides in my DC-2 and I'm just as happy w/ it there!! :mrgreen:

Oh...btw, welcome!!!

+++ on the MC90. The V30 and the VS-12 are too harsh and nasally for my tastes. I did like the Greenback in it though. The MC90 opens up the sound, provides more headroom and the distortion is more pleasant.

I have a DC-2. I really like the stock "Vintage" boogie speaker. I think it's made by Eminence.

Another great speaker is Mojo BV series. I have a Mojo BV-30 in a 1x12 ext. cab I use with my DC. It sounds great. Very similar to the stock mesa speaker.

Mojo speakers are a great deal - about $70. Made in USA just down I-40 from you in Burgaw, NC.

Update.....after much checking around, I went with a Celestion G12H30, and so far, this seems to be a really great match for this amp. I'm really diggin' it. Got it from Avatar Speakers www.avatarspeakers.com
He sells Celestions at wholesale prices so you can save quite a few bucks wih them.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back