Studio 22 plus tube question....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ngteleblues

Reaction score
I want to lower the gain of the lead channel only. So I install a 12AY7 or 5751 in V1 OR V2?? My goal is to balance out the volume between the 2 channels.

The manual:
"Here are some general guidelines for preamp troubleshooting: if the problem affects only the Lead
mode, it's probably caused by the V1 tube (the one furthest to the right, as seen from the rear); but
may also be V2 or V3. If the problem is in the Rhythm mode only, then V2 is usually the problem (V2
is second from the right, as seen from the rear). Sometimes a Rhythm problem can also be V3."

Start with V1. The Studio 22 Plus has a separate Lead Master designed to "balance out the volume between the 2 channels." :D
Gain factors:
http://www.diyguitarist.com/GuitarAmps/SD-Convertible/patgf1.htm
Hope this helps :D

So with the explanation above, try the 5751 in the V1 position. Then try the 12YA7.

Interesting but many technician recomends to lower gain try 5751, then try 12AY7. So that begs the question there's preamp tubes with gain that are between the 5751 and 12AY7 (12AT7 something or rather) so why make such a big drop from the 5751 to 12AY7? They say the characterestic and design of 12AY7 is smiliar to that of a 12AX7 so tone is similiar but lower gain.

[note: I read or thought I read this somewhere. So some egotistical technician from TGP is going flame me I don't know what I'm talking about so take this with a grain of salt]

Coincidently currently I have those two preamp tubes in the V1 and V2 position. It lowered the gain considerably but I have better volume control between the two channels. Now I'm not sure which tube is in which position.

But I warn, this is my preference and I know many Boogie owners will try this set up and say they lost too much gain. For me, it works fine because I don't use that much gain like your typical Boogie owner. To me its sounds bluesy than "metally" [if there's such a word] specially if you are using Celestion or Celestion type speakers.

Latest posts

Back