Studio .22+ (non-GEQ) vs. DC-3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, my DC-3 just died on me! No AC heaters on V2 through V10!

I just had surgery on my left index finger, so not only can I not play guitar, I'm not allowed to lift anything as heavy as the chassis to remove it from the cabinet.

Due to the DC heater on V1 still functioning, I know the power transformer is fine. It should be a simple repair (compared to the basket case POS Marshall DSL401 that I just repaired)

It'll have to wait a couple of weeks (as will guitar playing). :cry:

One of the green heater wire connectors on the Molex 10 pin connector on the PCB is black! It was a little brown before, now it's smoked. The PT appears to be fine. I wonder if a heater on a tube could be shorted.

I got the amp working (though I can't play real well without my left index finger)! I soldered the wire to the terminal in the Molex connector. I don't really trust it- I believe that terminal is shot. I'd love to replace the terminal and the connector housing.

I ended up hard wiring the heater wires. They never should've been put in an insulation displacement connector. That was a bad design choice.

I'm able to play (somewhat) and the amp sounds great. I swapped the ECC823 back and forth with an ECC83 and really appreciate the ECC823. The amp's lead channel sounds bluesy with an ES-335 with the guitar's volume turned down slightly and crunchy with the guitar on 10.

I still don't know which amp I like better- the Studio or the DC-3. The problems that I had with the DC-3's lead channel have been corrected and it can almost mimic the lead sound of the Studio while also being able to do much more.

I'm still not in love with the Celestion Vintage 30 in the DC-3. The amp really relies on my EV Thiele cab to sound great. I've got an Eminence Private Jack that I might try.

I've been using the Private Jack for a week or so now. I like it a lot and it lightens the amp up slightly.

I tried the amp at a rehearsal for the first time the other night and it worked well. The clean channel sounded great with my '59 Gibson ES-225TD though the dirty channel was dialed in for home use and needs tweaking.

The electronics gave me no problems.

Cleaning (and tightening) tube sockets can make a huge difference.

I started this thread 4 months ago and I still don't know which one of these amps I prefer! It changes almost daily. I prefer the dynamics of the Studio's dirty channel but it can get too honky. I like the versatility of the DC3's dirty channel but it can be a little strident and lacking in dynamics. It also lacks the Studio's "flutyness". The GEQ removes a lot of the honkiness.

To tell you the truth, whichever has my Theile cab plugged into it is my favorite.

Makes me wonder about a Studio .22+ with a GEQ.

Or sell them both and get a Mark Five 25

This thread's gotten pretty stale, but I wanted to mention that I have decided that I prefer the Studio .22+ over the DC-3. The clean sound has a little more "snap" to it and I've always preferred the amp's lead sound over the DC-3. Putting the Eminence Private Jack in it put it over the top. What a nice little amp!

The DC-3 is fully repaired, cleaned up and photographed to be advertised.

All these months later, I guess I made my choice. I sold the DC-3 last night. I liked it but the rhythm channel didn't have as much "pop" as the Studio's and the lead channel was a little "fizzy" and a bit sterile for my liking, even with a JJ ECC823 tube and a resistor mod.

The Studio .22+ just works for me.

Back