Studio .22 no sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeysounds

Reaction score
I have a 1985 studio 22 amp that worked great then suddenly stopped. I sent it to Torres engineering and they said that it had 10 burned either diodes or resistors or something to that effect. They repaired the amp and I also had them add a rectifier tube while it was there. When it came back it worked for a couple of weeks then when out again.

Years passed and I pulled it out again to try and work on it. It was then that I noticed that one of the speaker wires was barely hanging on to the speaker connection which leads me to believe that the amp may not have been getting proper resistance. Torres didn't do this because I only sent them the chassis.

I re-soldered the wire and at present the amp powers up, the reverb makes that spring reverb sound when you tap the amp, and if you turn the master volume all the way up there is a hissing noise. Other than that there is no sound when I plug into the input jack, it is totally silent. I have already put in new mesa power tubes and preamp tubes. I'm thinking that the transformer may be bad. Is there anyway that I can test this out before bringing it to be repaired or could it be some other issue? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Joey
http://www.deepscoperecords.com

It sounds like you may not be very experienced with tube amp circuitry. (a judgement on my part)
If this is the case - take it to an experienced tube amp guy . :? Tube circuitry can kill you deader than Elvis.

You may have a toasted output tranny - I'm sure replacements are availble from Mesa or Mercury Magnetics. You don't necesarily need a Mesa guy to service this piece, just a good tube amp guy who doen't mind taking apart a difficult (not impossible) to service design - some swearing involved.

Definiely worth fixing, I enjoy mine several times a week. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'll be taking it to someone or sending it back to Torres. Kind of figured It might be the transformer. And you're right, I know how to turn the amp on and play. That's the extent of my amp expertise.

Hi all
As you can hear hissing and noises from the reverb when tapping , the output section is not dead, and the output transformer is not fried (it may be damaged though)

You can test the output section by simply pluging your guitar into the effects return ...
If the output section is ok, than you'll hear the guitar sound, dull and not very loud, but that's ok. Only the master and presence controls will work then.
If you use a preamp or stompbox between guitar and effects return, it will even sound quite good :)

This little amp is absolutely worth having it repaired. I own one of those aswell and have always loved it.
I wish you good luck with that little gem

Latest posts

Back