Studio .22+ Drive mod...GIT-R-DONE!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Anthony

Reaction score
First, I am not big on hot-rodding amps, second, I'm not a fan of channel-switching. I like the Studio .22+ but, like most of you, I found the gulf between 'clean' and 'drive' too much. Changing the tube value helped some, going to an MC-90 made a huge difference in the overall tone, but I wanted it all. I am completely sold on the mod-it's now possible to add or subtract however much gain I want and set it at the volume I want. Even better, it's now possible to completely integrate the 5-band EQ and, best of all, take the drive down or out completely and have a PURE boost when I want to keep the clean tone on each side. Find a good tech in your area (Dave at Triode Amplification if you are in the Tampa Bay area) and Get.This.Mod.Now. if you have one of these amps.

Bob, I'd love to check out the mod you're talking about. Where can I find info to pass on to my tech? Thanks in advance.

T.J., there are many threads about the mod, and the schematic is here too. Search for 'Studio .22+ mod' or 'lead drive mod' or even 'Studio .22+'
and you will find lots of good info here. They are great little amps that can do most anything, and for us geezers, they're easy to cart around.

Totally agree with you, Bob, about them being great amps. I bought a 25 watt Mesa Express amp with the intention of replacing my 22+. Had it for a year, and ended up selling it and keeping the 22+.

I have a 12AY7 in V1 to even out the volume when on overdrive. I believe you've been down that road? Does the mod involve an extra volume control? What does it do? More control over how much overdrive is added?

Did you find before the mod, that the biggest volume imbalance was at low volume, and that it evened out more as you cranked the amp?

I'm just trying to work out whether I need this mod, as apart from the lead volume control that is supplied with the 22+, I already have a mod, a knob that lowers voltage to the output tubes ( I think that's how it works) and allows you to turn the master volume up more at lower volume. Just finding ROOM for another knob might proof difficult!
Nice to exchange ideas with another Studio 22 enthusiast.
Regards.

Ok-The knob has to go over the logo on the back-kind of a drag, but what're you gonna do? Pre-mod, the volume does even out a bit when cranked (I usually play at 3-5), but the key is whether you like the sound or not (I find it a bit nasal). The beauty of the mod is being able to control how much drive you have, and if you use the EQ Auto settings, you can shape your sound quite a bit in the absence of fully independent channels. Again, I like having the option of a simple clean boost that is truly clean, done by, natch, dropping the drive all the way down. You should be able to get this done reasonably, and I think it;s worth it, I hate drilling holes, but I love the amp now!

Back