studio 22+ boogie beginner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bamyasi said:
@StephenF

Thanks for the post, I am planning on taking it to a Mesa amp technician.
thanks again

When you are there, ask the Mesa technician to add at the back of the chassis a 4th volume pot (Lead Drive). This way, you can set independently the gain on your 2 channels.

Hello again, I was hoping my next post would be to say that the problem is fixed now but ...

Back in November 2008 I phoned up Mesa to find out where my nearest official Mesa amp technician was, it turns out he is a 2 hour drive away (I live in UK by the way).

So I phoned him up and he said he needed to send off for some information about my model.

I guessed I would not hear anything over Christmas because of holidays etc but I chased it up with him again last week and he said that it was still holiday time 'over there' (US?) but he was expecting the info shortly.

I am getting frustrated because I really want to use the lead channel again!!!

My questions are:

1)Can my local amp tech do just as good a job on it as the official Mesa tech or will my patience be rewarded trying to get it seen by the Mesa tech?

2)What info could he be waiting for that he can not get off the Internet?

Thanks

You know, there are a lot of good amps tech in this world that aren't Mesa authorized service centers. And being an older model, you should be able to find a schematic for this amp. I also have a 22+ and had no problem getting a schematic from Mesa. Just call them. As long as it's a discontinued model, they will send you the schematic.

The switching circuit (if, indeed, that's the problem) is certainly not "magic" just 'cuz it's from Mesa. Should be pretty straight forward for a tech.
And probably not too expensive to fix.

Good luck! :D

Hey thanks for that link I appreciate it.

Gotta admit it doesn't mean much to me but I will take a print out along to the local amp tech with the amp if I don't hear back from the Mesa guy soon.

bamyasi,

It seems I have a very similar problem that you've described on my studio 22+, so I'm keen on hearing how you solve it.

My lead channel does not work at all. The red light on the footswitch does not go on, and I've checked to see that it is not the pedal that is causing the problem. The connection to the preamp from the footswitch socket should be in working order as I also checked this.

In addition I seem to have a problem most likely on my preamp, where the volume of the clean channel fades away unexpectedly. I've tried changing the tubes, and have even done some soldering patchwork, so that the tubes should be well connected, so it shouldn't be the tubes that are at fault.

I think the problem is in the preamp section, because I'm able to hook up my mesa v twin with more stability through the effects return socket. But I still need to fiddle around a bit more to establish this with certainty.

Anyways input to these problems is highly appreciated. I've been playing with a line 6 pod too long. I forgot what real tube tone is all about... and fell in love with my mesa after neglecting it for a few years. At the time of usage I mainly used it by connecting the pod to the effects return. Recently, I was blown away just with the clean tone, once I hooked up my guitar to the instrument connect without anything in between. Of course it was dissapointing to find that changing the tubes wasn't enoungh to fix the problems I've had with the amp.

I think the problem is in the preamp section, because I'm able to hook up my mesa v twin with more stability through the effects return socket. But I still need to fiddle around a bit more to establish this with certainty.

Try running a short guitar cord between effects send and return. This is a common issue with the effects loop. I have a 22 and this fixed the problem.

@Beerhead

HI, sorry to hear you have probs too...

The situation with me at the moment is I have spoken to my nearest authorized
mesa technician and have arranged to drop it off to him. I would have done it last
week but there was too much bad weather.

He hasn't seen the amp but I described the problem to him as I described it in this thread.

His verdict is that one or more of the power caps(?)(don't quote me!) has gone on the circuit board and
that is why there is no response from the lead channel. What he is going to do is replace all the
other parts as well why he has the amp opened up.

He gave me a quote which wasn't cheap (over 150 pounds) but this guy has a glowing reputation
and I really want this amp fully working again.

by the way, the LED on my footswitch still does lights up, not very brightly but I am not sure
if it was ever bright.

Sorry I can not help you more, I don't know alot about these amps. I would def
try the patch "trick" as some people have mentioned in this thread first. Hope you can fix it..
I would be interested to know how you get on

I will post here once the technician has seen the amp

Thanks for the input! :D

Putting the cable on the return and sends jacks has already helped sort out the difficulty with my clean channel. I've been playing for about an hour without interruption. It's funny how simple a solution can be.

The lead channel however is still not functioning even after trying all the tricks that I've read so far. What's more the news about the possibility of blown power caps is quite distressing given my current budget. Is there any way for a person without previous experience to pinpoint and fix these kinds of problems? I've downloaded the schematic from the internet, but I understand only the part where it says input.. :? Could anybody reccommend a good book to read for getting involved with the electronics?

Beerhead said:
Thanks for the input! :D

Putting the cable on the return and sends jacks has already helped sort out the difficulty with my clean channel. I've been playing for about an hour without interruption. It's funny how simple a solution can be.

The lead channel however is still not functioning even after trying all the tricks that I've read so far. What's more the news about the possibility of blown power caps is quite distressing given my current budget. Is there any way for a person without previous experience to pinpoint and fix these kinds of problems? I've downloaded the schematic from the internet, but I understand only the part where it says input.. :? Could anybody reccommend a good book to read for getting involved with the electronics?
Can't help with reference material, but I have read that dealing with capacitors can be deadly....literally. Be very careful!

The day has finally come - I picked up my studio 22 this morning in its fully-restored state! It was worth the wait!

My invoice from the technician describes the work done as: 'Strip unit, replace defective components, remove oxidisation on connectors and controls. Full set up and test' (including footswitch)

It cost me £135 including vat, which I was happy with. Don't know much about the going rate but it seemed fair + the technician was authorized by Mesa. Might not have value in itself but was definitely reassuring to me (not that many of them about in the UK).

Arggh. I have also recently acquired a MESA studio .22+ and it has exactly the same problem.
no distortion in the lead channel. it does switch to the lead channel as the lead master turns up and down the volume... just no distortion

this is a great pity because im financially retarded for the next couple of months!
I want to send it to a technician but 135 pound. no ways. Plus i live in South Africa i dont think there are any MeSa technicians here, Mesa amps are relatively new on the market, bot even sure if there is a customer support branch this side...

What coincidence! I have got the same problems like you guys with my DC-2 Studio Caliber. Sent ot my tech (non mesa tech), and he diagnosed problems as faulty ICs/caps, as well as slide corrosion/oxidation. The problem has paralysed both the rhythm and lead channel, starting with sudden drops in volume of one channel, and finally to both channels. And also the problem of footswitching failure.

Paid about $180SGD which is about USD$120, amp restored back to good playing condition. (I documented my story in the Dual Caliber sticky..)

I reckon that amp with close to 13 - 15 years require some servicing. Should anyone encounter these problems, please approach you tube amp tech, not necessarily a mesa approved one. They sure can do the work on amps like these (simple electronics). Need not panic at all. Did I also mention the reverb also restored back to a very noticeable level?

Treat your beloved vintage boogie with some TLC!!

I just dropped my amp off today at a amp technician. he says he's gonna have a look inside.
the preamp valves also need replacing... I was wondering why it was making wierd noises sometimes, it turns out the valves were still the stock Mesa 12AX7's and therefore had not been replaced since it was bought (what's that, like 20 years or somehting) tsk!

I hope i can get that lead channel sorted out...

@RedEyeJedi

I hope you got it working again.

Just a heads up really, my studio 22 is back in repair, as I was changing a tube a small piece of metal fell out,
turns out it came off a part that was replaced in the original repair. The effect was that the amp would suddenly cut out completely during play and it sounded a bit ugly, especially as the gain was increased.

After speaking to the tech, as far as I understand the problem with my amp was that there was a hairline fracture on a part of the circuit board (?), which was fixed originally and which may have broke applying pressure to fitting a new tube. He is waiting for a part to come in so instead of mending the fracture the whole part will be replaced.
So if you are having the same problems I did then a fracture in the board is also a possible cause. And be EXTRA careful to not apply too much force if you are putting in a new valve or you might create one.

Also, a little off topic, when I told him I was thinking of changing the valves he said that it would not make a difference to the sound of the amp and that it was a sort of marketing ploy by companies to sell valves!! I did not want to argue with him because I don't know enough about it, but I thought that part of the joy of owning an all valve amp was to experiment with different ones??

Latest posts

Back