Studio .22+ and Celestion Blue?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meyekel

Reaction score
Hi all, first post! I am picking up a .22+ and have a spare Blue sitting in a box. Is it too much amp for the Blue at 22 watts (everyone says the amp is louder than any other 22 watt amp). I know that other dual EL84/15 watt amps run the Celestion Blue but this is my first Boogie. Anyone yeah or nay? Thanks Mike

Hi Mike, I was going to do the same thing. Finally decided on a 30 watt Weber Alnico Blue Dog. I sometimes wonder whether IT is too light a speaker! Sure sounds good though! Let me know if you decide to go with the Celestion, I'd love to know what it sounds like. Cheers, Bill.

Hey Bill, if I go that route I'll let you know. I have a Fane 12AXA rated at 100 watts that I might throw in instead. I dunno, I really don't want to pop that Celestion on the first power chord!

please excuse my little offtopic,but my 22+ has a vs-12 black shadow speaker.who is the manufacturer of this speaker and to what modern speaker it's closer in sound and specification,or to what speaker was designed after?thank you

Tacoiardul said:
please excuse my little offtopic,but my 22+ has a vs-12 black shadow speaker.who is the manufacturer of this speaker and to what modern speaker it's closer in sound and specification,or to what speaker was designed after?thank you
It is stock with the Studio .22 and was manufactured by Eminence. Personally, I found it too "squawky" and midrangey for my tastes and replaced it with an MC-90, also a Mesa/Boogie Black Shadow but manufactured by Celestion-It gave me much more versatility and better tone, and I recommend it highly.

I tried to fit the Fane but the basket shape is different from the Emi and didn't fit in the speaker hole. Dang! I got so frustrated that the Blue is still in the box and the Black Shadow is back in the the amp. Doubt that I will try the Blue just because I don't want to blow it.

I have a blue in my .22 and it sounds great. No problems with the too high power, but I don't play it at very high volume. Have used it at several gigs though.

Latest posts

Back