Stripping a 4x12 Recto cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterGatherer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the process of stripping an older 4x12 rectifier cabinet that's had the crap beaten out of it. When I removed the tolex, it seperated into two layers . The bottom layer that's still glued to the cab looks like gray felt, and it is a bee-otch to remove. I was thinking about getting a heat gun to see if that helped loosen it up, and then maybe borrowing a belt sander from a buddy to remove the glue from the flat surfaces. I did a search for retolexing cabs and stuff, but couldn't find anything about how to get this gray felt stuff off. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about this; any help is much appreciated! 8)

a hair dryer will work to help get it off and a sander to complete it. check out the thread here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881422&highlight=retolex

that may give you a little more information.

thanks much; that's just what I needed! :D

BTW, for the older cabs with the leather covering, that stuff is must likely going to seperate on you and leave that grayish felt layer stuck to the wood. A heat gun and and something to pry it up with as your heating the glue is invaluable. Be careful not to go overboard, but a little heat applied to the leftover reidue, will harden it, making it much easier to scrape/sand off. I used some acetone on some tough spots and around the baffle and in corners...helps cut back on the amount of sanding you'll have to do too. :wink:

Latest posts

Back