Strings Question/Unknown guitar model

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
hi, i own an old Cimar (by Ibanez) 25" scale guitar from late 70s/early 80s, and i've never been happy with it until a few months ago, 'cause it never stayed in tune (probably the neck isn't perfectly straight). Strings guauge was a standard .046-.010. Well, it wasn't a guitar for which was worth to have it checked by a luthier, 'cause it's pretty cheap.
A few months ago i changed the strings and chose .060-.046-.036-.026-.017-.013, this 'cause i wanted to tune my guitar 2 whole steps down (in C) to play some dream theater heavy stuff from Train Of Thought, for them who know. Despite of the detuning, this increased the overall strings tension and, surprisingly, the guitar stayed in tune perfectly! So, since i don't play dream theater with my band anymore (more oriented towards Metallica), i want to return to the E standard tuning but i want to maintain about the same strings tension as with the C tuning. So, in the end, which gauge do you suggest? thanks in advance!

franz

BTW, does anyone know what model it is?

Cimar.jpg

Try the D'Adarrio exl115w's.They are 11's but the main thing is the wound G string.A plain g string doesnt tune as well as a wound g.A plain string has to have more tension on it to be stable.When I first started playing ( in the dark ages) all we had were Black Diamond one gauge fits all.They were like playing on bridge cables ( the kind of bridge you drive on,not a guitar bridge) and guitars were in tune.Then when they came out with "super slinky" gauges guitars went out of tune.The wound g string makes all the difference.Try 'em I think you'll agree.

Typically, for every 1/2 step, change to the next gauge, to keep string tension pretty even!

Latest posts

Back