Strat with a Stiletto Ace?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonchie

Reaction score
Well I just got my Stiletto ace in today. One word. Amazing. Its that good.

I've always played a gibson les paul but lately I've been gasing for a strat. Does the Ace compliment strats well?

Any of you play one through an ace?

bonchie said:

I've always played a gibson les paul but lately I've been gasing for a strat. Does the Ace compliment strats well?

IMHO I feel the Stilettos are best suited for humbucker mahogany based guitars . Thats not to say that you wont find sweet spots with a strat .

Tried an American Deluxe through one at GC. I though it sounded great (think Strat into a Marshall for comparison).

My Strat gets no play time when I'm in the stiletto frame of mind. its my paul all the way. But if you play loud (tough for me - I'm a home player) then "any" guitar sounds great thru the stiletto. my strat has vintage noiseless pups - they're a bit tame but the tone is awesome - and i really do like them in clean mode on the stiletto but i need to make the amp sweat.

bonchie said:

My Strat has the SCN pups too, I believe. I was told (by a post in another thread) that these pups favor a "hbucker" sound. My pups are HSS, and I am off to the store either tommorow or Mon. to check out an Express. :mrgreen: I had thought to a/b the LSS.

If they have a Stiletto, I'll try to check it out and post some info. I don't know if my pups will give a true Strat with single coils review :oops: but it will be what it is said to be :roll: Jeff

I was playing my prs through my Ace. as an experiment I took my James Burton Tele, wich is a tele body with strat bridge and strat pick ups to the gig. By the third set I ditched my effect altogether and ran stait in-at medium volume it was by far the greatest musical experiance of my life-what a freakin combination! I say strat/ace is a winner provided you have the right pickups in your axe. I have a lace sensor white at the neck, and stayed right there all night long.
On the other hand, my prs standard mahagany 24 also sounds utterly amazing through the Ace-in fact a total hunk of crap would sound great out of the ACE, but my prs out of my Trident with a 4x12 standard I would say rivals the best guitar sounds in the world, but thats not really the case with my tele on that amp.

i always run my strat through the ace. when i demo'd it i took my strat and loved it. i was actually a little dissapointed when i tryed my les paul type guitars through it. there nice on fluid drive for some heavy tones but the best tones ive got out of the amp have been with my strat. im using kinman traditionals which are perfect for clean to medium gain.

Hi I play the Ace combo 212 with Suhr Classic (sw. ash and mp, strat type with V60LP pickups and SSC) great sound. I found fine sound with blue channel fat cln or tite loop bypass, tube rctf, gain and master at max - try spongy . Listen that! I've just received marshall cab 1960BHW with heritage greenbacks to get less modern sound, I'll write about that after gigs.
Anyone try to open combo cab - back to 3/4 or others ?

I love the way both Strats & Pauls sound with the Stiletto Series. Here's a link to some old clips I made with both a Strat & Paul. They both sound great in different ways.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=509975

-d

jesserides2005 said:
I love the way both Strats & Pauls sound with the Stiletto Series. Here's a link to some old clips I made with both a Strat & Paul. They both sound great in different ways.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=509975

-d

Super-Sweet tones and playing you got going on there! Kudos :D

I seem to be in the minority here, but I've tried an Ace several times and I thought the Strat tones were very thin and piercing. Even with the treble and presence both all the way down. I found it nearly impossible to get that edge-of-breakup sound. I thought it slayed for humbuckers though and I really wanted to get one. I had the same problem with a Stiletto series 1.

Hi Fredster
the Strat tones were very thin and piercing
When I moved to stiletto from Super Lead 68' I had a similar experience. I play in 2 guitars rock band, we're loud and the stiletto ace is very effective on stage, cut through the mix. I play 10 to 15 gigs for a month around the country and my reflection is that I'm not a fan of Vintage 30 speakers so I've just bought Marshall 1960 BHW with G12H 30 to get more vintage sound. I find interesting sound with clean chnn max gain, max master, RC booster pedal with my strat and roll the vol pot in the axe.

gonziak said:
and the stiletto ace is very effective on stage, cut through the mix. I play 10 to 15 gigs for a month around the country and my reflection is that I'm not a fan of Vintage 30 speakers so I've just bought Marshall 1960 BHW with G12H 30 to get more vintage sound.

So you think it's the V30's? That may be - I don't like the v30s with Rectos either. Maybe if one of these stores has an Ace head, I could try it with a different cab. Nice tunes BTW!

To the guys playing Strats through the Stiletto: are you using, say Fat Clean and boosting it with a pedal, or using the gain channel? The reason I ask is that I was also experiencing ice-pick tones with a Strat on the gain channel and also as others have said, I feel the amp excels with humbuckers and warm woods such as mahogany.

To be fair, it could have been the pickups. They were Fender Custom Shop '54's and maybe were too bright/thin. I bought the guitar used and really wasn't willing to start putting money into it trying diffferent pickups.

In fact, I sold the Strat and got an LP because of this (to go along with my Wolfgang). If I ever get another single coil guitar it will probably mahogany - something like the PRS SE EG import.

Thanks
So you think it's the V30's? That may be - I don't like the v30s with Rectos either. Maybe if one of these stores has an Ace head, I could try it with a different cab. Nice tunes BTW!
Try ace at higher volume, and check tite or fat clean and gain and master at max and tube rectifier.
I don't think that cause of V30. They sound fatter than greenbacks, I mean more oomphh.. but I don't like that kind of sound. I compared Stiletto ace with marshall cabs 1960V to 1960AX and mesa 212 V30, and greenback cab sound strange but I like that - I even found something like hendrix' sound.
When you play alone, practicing, or one gutar band you would feel lack of the tone when play strat, but in my case - loud band - it works ok, effective. Most clubs in Poland don't have good P.A. or acoustic condition. I didn't have a problem with my ace without ext cab in such places. I'll send you PM about my new cab 1960BHW - after few gigs. What kind of sound do you prefer, I mean artist?

gonziak said:
Thanks
Try ace at higher volume, and check tite or fat clean and gain and master at max and tube rectifier.
I don't think that cause of V30. They sound fatter than greenbacks, I mean more oomphh.. but I don't like that kind of sound. I compared Stiletto ace with marshall cabs 1960V to 1960AX and mesa 212 V30, and greenback cab sound strange but I like that - I even found something like hendrix' sound.
When you play alone, practicing, or one gutar band you would feel lack of the tone when play strat, but in my case - loud band - it works ok, effective. Most clubs in Poland don't have good P.A. or acoustic condition. I didn't have a problem with my ace without ext cab in such places. I'll send you PM about my new cab 1960BHW - after few gigs. What kind of sound do you prefer, I mean artist?

the Ace can be a bit bright, but that is the case with many el34 amps. I currently have a 4x12 cab on order loaded with greenbacks to use with my Ace head. looking forward to see how that helps tame a bit of the brightness that i get through my 2x12 cab with a v30 and a g12h30.

I also think changing out the stock tubes to better ones have helped in warming up the amp tremendously.

I put pair of kt77 good cleans more fender amp feeling but I prefer el34. I compared pwr tubes: EL34 STR-447 to Siemens NOS EL34 STR-450 - two aces 212, 1st stock mesa tubes 2nd siemens and stock sounds more bassy little midscoop, better to me. I read that GT SAG-MHG Marshall High Gain Kit is better than stock. How about rectifier and pwr with strat?
I had a problem with screen grid resistors during the gig (two times in service), one desoldered from PCB and fall out :lol: -hand made mesa. They hang, solder to bottom of PCB and easily could desolder when they are hot and vibrate.

Back