STR440 6L6GC vs =C= 6L6GC

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa STR440 vs. =C= 6L6GC

• STR440

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • =C=

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

domct203

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Which do you prefer?

My Roadster came with GRN STR440's. The amp sounds good with them and I think they are an improvement over the 430's. I think I read here somewhere the 440's are chinese? Are they Ruby's?

I have a set of =C= 6L6GC's I'm going to throw in for comparison. Anyone try these in a Recto (RK, Roadster, Dual, Triple) vs. the 440?

I'm looking for a tighter bottom and smoother highs.

Opinions? Comments?

The =C= 6L6's are definatly staying in. They are a perfect fit drawing almost the same current as the 440's (around 30mA vs. about 28mA for the 440's) so I can keep the 440's as backups :D .

The =C='s are alot tighter and punchier in the lows, and much, much smoother in the highs. I am able to run my presence and treble higher in ch 4 Modern for some awesome sizzle with absolutly no "angry bees". They really compliment the Roadster nicely, IMO it sounds more like a Recto should to me now. The amp's sweet spot dials right in at about 10 - 10:30 on the Output (MV) and just gets punchier as you approach 12:00, while the harmonics just jump right off the fretboard. The "feel factor" of the amp is 10X better with the =C='s.

This is my tube compliment. I'm absolutly diggin' this setup!

V1 - Tung-Sol reissue (great tube to push hard)
V2 - High Gain JJ
V3 - Shuguang 9th Generation Chinese
V4 - Electro Harmonix
V5 - stock Mesa Russian 2 (E.H.)
V6 - stock Mesa Russian 2 (E.H.)

V7 thru V10 - SED =C= SV6L6GC

V11 & V12 - Mesa 5U4GB

All the non-Mesa tubes are from Doug Preston (Dougstubes.com). I may try a Sovtek LPS (per Dougs recommendation) in the PI eventually, just for comparison. I did try a balanced JJ (too flabby / no "singing" notes) and a Shuguang (too sterile feeling) in the PI and found the original Mesa (E.H.) the best for me so far.

After a night of pratice like tonight it's funny how fast I forget about waiting over 3 months for my amp !! This amp was worth every minute of that wait !!

Dom

fatboy135 said:
................ , it is real amazing how an amp could change its attitude just replacing the power tubes

That's a great way to put it, attitude. The Pre's brought out the amp's character, while the Power Tubes brought out it's attitude !!

Dom

Yes there are 2 hours since I just repaired an engl for a friend, I also adjust the bias and change the powertubes with =C= 6l6, the preamps tubes I put was a JJ ecc803 and a EH on the first stages and another =C= 12ax7 on the phase splitter, now that dude is the happiest in the world, he was kissing everybody, jumping, and laughing since the 2 hours ago.

Usually amps sounds by itselfs but when you change a few parameters like the tubes you could get from 90% to a 110% and that little improvement is just the needed to get a perfect solid and definition tone.
God blessed that tubes

i actually prefer my JAN GE 6L6's in my dual rec.

absolutely perfect.

Latest posts

Back