STR 420 vs STR 440

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badjohnny

Reaction score
I have a guy selling a matched pair of Mesa Boogie STR 420 tubes. MB uses 440's now. Is there a difference I should be aware of? I have an Express 5:50. Thanks.

Johnny

The 420s are the only 6L6s I've been happy with in a recto...I have yet to hear a rectifier that sounded good with the 440s.

Sad they stopped using them.

yeah I have 2 sets of shuguang 6l6gcrs (the tubes mesa relabeled str420) and they are sweet tubes. the only 6l6 that comes close to them, imo, are th TAD 6l6gc. that tads just have a very touchy mid that gets a little nasty when the mid knob is pushed much more than 10:00.....with the shuguangs i can push the mids as high as 1:00 before it gets too mid heavy for my playing style.

Since these are older MB tubes, will the bias still be right for my new Express 5:50?

my buddy is using a sextet of the old MB branded 420s in his triple recto and they bias up just fine....you can use any boogie tubs in any boogie amp that uses that same type.

badjohnny said:
Since these are older MB tubes, will the bias still be right for my new Express 5:50?

The bias hasn't changed. Mesa still grades their tubes to the same specs.

I had about 10 STR420s laying around that I had pulled from various amps I've owned. I gave a few of them to a buddy of mine, but I still have probably 6 of them in my tube drawer waiting for the rainy day I go back to 6L6s.

Latest posts

Back