Still Feedback issues at band volumes with new tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean106alcon

Reaction score
Hey guys. So after my first post I was recommended that the preamp tubes is what is leading to the horrible feedback I was getting when my band practice. So I changed all the preamp tubes with dougs preamp cocktail and changed to El34's. Still tonight i had screaming feedback! I found my sweet spot thanks to you guys the Mark I sound sounds sick and so does the Mark IV mode too. But so much screaming feedback. So I used a NS-2 noise suppressor and it helped but still say during a song if I was not muting the strings...she was ready to scream! Is it the amp or the preamps I bought ya think? The NS-2 Helped alot during major breaks of distortion, but when playing and have some stiggato pal muting riffs it would let out a little scream. So annoying. Any feedback would be appreciated. Here was my settings from tonight as soon as I brought her home. Other than that....man the tone killed. Never thought you guys could get me a good mark I Mode setting as it was sick. I forget which one screamed more as I was using Mark I and Mark IV mode. Clean was awesome by the way. Thanks guys!
Pix of settings right after practice.:

DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

Heh, turn down the gain?

Ch 2 and 3's gain are almost all the way up?!

LTE said:
Heh, turn down the gain?

Ch 2 and 3's gain are almost all the way up?!
Yeah, that'll do it. You don't need that much gain, especially when you have the amp cranked like you do.

:lol: turn down the gain.. especially when you have the treble and presence at those settings, and the amp loud

thats a lotta gain, mang!

also your preset EQ is all the way up!!! together with that much of a gain and treble...

Quit trying to EQ the thing like a brute. These amps require finesse. None of those knobs should need to be all the way up. You are basically adding as much treble as possible into the amp.

Is your guitar properly shielded? are you certain you're using an instrument cable and not a speaker cable?

What kind of speakers and cabinet are you using?

Yeah bare with me I am a gain *****. but you are all right I need to turn down the individual gain's.

Amazing how it sounds so different at home with the output low and of course no feedback and gain I like. But in the rehearsal next week I will turn the gain down. as u can see I don't mess with the sliders and only have the active fore my clean which of course was amazing last night.But yeah noob to the Mark family and will try it loud with the gain down next week. Thanks guys. I was not sure if it was me (which it seems it is :lol: ) or the preamps. Thanks as always!

sean106alcon said:
Yeah bare with me I am a gain *****. but you are all right I need to turn down the individual gain's.

Amazing how it sounds so different at home with the output low and of course no feedback and gain I like. But in the rehearsal next week I will turn the gain down. as u can see I don't mess with the sliders and only have the active fore my clean which of course was amazing last night.But yeah noob to the Mark family and will try it loud with the gain down next week. Thanks guys. I was not sure if it was me (which it seems it is :lol: ) or the preamps. Thanks as always!

Why are the Preset Depth on all three channels all the way up?, I set mine at 11:00 or 12:00 max not sure if this has anything to do with Feedback, but I tried your settings and I get no feedback except with my friend's strat (mim) but because of the Pick ups.
The only time I get a lot of feedback on mine is when I turn the treble and the presence all the way up.

Good luck

So update. I jammed tonight with the band and even after I changed the preamp tubes (with dougs cocktail and Power tubes to EL 34's) was still screaming with feedback. It did back off a little bit when I on the fly went to Mark IIC+ mode but I am assuming even though I changed all the preamp tubes.....I still have a bad one(s) in there I am guessing. :( Maybe I should throw the Mesa stock ones back in.....but which ones......well would tame the feedback? I had the Masters on channel 2 and 3 at like 7 O'Clock and used the output on full power mode, 90 watt and around 2PM tonight. Thanks for any advice guys!

Oh also made the preset knobs to 12 noon as noted.

MrMarkIII said:
Too much gain + cheap pickups + user error = squealing amateur feedback. :lol:

Dip your pickups in liquid wax. Rattle the pickup around in the hot wax until all of the air bubbles stop coming from the pickup. Remove pickup and let it cool and dry. Put pickup back in the guitar. This will help. I had the same problem.

Jim Ed Love said:
MrMarkIII said:

Dip your pickups in liquid wax. Rattle the pickup around in the hot wax until all of the air bubbles stop coming from the pickup. Remove pickup and let it cool and dry. Put pickup back in the guitar. This will help. I had the same problem.

yeah maybe. Last nigh the clean was great. My custom shop explorer (see my sig) but I have either EMG 81 or EM 85's for the bridge. I for multiple reasons hate passive PUP's.

man use your geq to dial in your tone, back off on teh gain in both channels 2 and 3 but put a od infront if your a gain ***** trust me i know. And use the geq to bring in your highs and lows and cut down the highs and lows on ur preamp nobs this will help with the feedback a bit plus where are you useing ur ns2 and what settings? i found with my ns2 i had to re tweek it so it works well with the mark v. Also if its out infront you will just stop guitar feedback as if you stick it in the effects loop it will kill all feedback, but a lil note for help do NOT use the ns2 in the loop you will loose all tone lol.

pathos45 said:
man use your geq to dial in your tone, back off on teh gain in both channels 2 and 3 but put a od infront if your a gain ***** trust me i know. And use the geq to bring in your highs and lows and cut down the highs and lows on ur preamp nobs this will help with the feedback a bit plus where are you useing ur ns2 and what settings? i found with my ns2 i had to re tweek it so it works well with the mark v. Also if its out infront you will just stop guitar feedback as if you stick it in the effects loop it will kill all feedback, but a lil note for help do NOT use the ns2 in the loop you will loose all tone lol.

Thanks man. Will try that next week as I am stuck on the pre-set mode for EQ and frankly LOL scared of the GEQ.Hahaha.

dont be dude, i put it this way the preset nob is great for starting off, but trust me u will get the most and best out of your amp if you spend a good day on just tweeking settings. And trust me when i say this you will be tweeking for a long time lol

This is in the manual page 35,

"NOTE: High settings of the PRESENCE (2:30 – 5:30) can put extra stress on even borderline microphonic
preamp tubes (ones that are susceptible to high pitched ringing and noise) and cause them to begin ringing
or show other signs of instability. "

You might be running into this on ch2 from the settings above.

pathos45 said:
dont be dude, i put it this way the preset nob is great for starting off, but trust me u will get the most and best out of your amp if you spend a good day on just tweeking settings. And trust me when i say this you will be tweeking for a long time lol

Trust.... A solid week or two of tweaking for the first half hour or so of practicing. Then I got EL34's and spent another few days dialing those in. Incredible thing that one amp has so many voices.

The EQ is way powerful. Get to be friends with it, the force is strong in that one....

sean106alcon said:
Jim Ed Love said:
MrMarkIII said:

yeah maybe. Last nigh the clean was great. My custom shop explorer (see my sig) but I have either EMG 81 or EM 85's for the bridge. I for multiple reasons hate passive PUP's.

Blimey mate! Youre diming the gain, the EQ's, running high volumes, loads of presence, treble AND EMG's! Thats the reason for your feedback mate! If you really, really need such extreme settings you need to get acquainted with your volume knob on the guitar between passages of not playing, or keep two hands on the strings to keep harmonics down.

If you unplug the guitar and the amp is still feeding back then it is most likely your amp feeding back but your guitar could be as well. If it only does it when the guitar is plugged in then it is your guitar. Are you standing too close to the amp while it is cranked?

Also, as many have noted you have your gain and presence cranked way to high and could be causing a micro phonic sympathetic type of feedback.

Here is my comment about your amp settings. All three of the GAIN, TREBLE and PRESENCE knobs have a point where you are not getting any more out of them especially where you have all of them set (all up). I would recommend backing off one at a time till you hear the difference. For instance if you start backing off your Presence from all the way up to 5 o'clock you probably wont hear a difference keep going till you hear the tone fluctuate and put it at the true setting. SO if you really like the tone you are getting you should be able to get that tone without feedback and wont be causing manufacture documented negative problems by turning everything to 11.
That is what I would do if I was standing in front of your amp, you should be able to keep the tone you are hearing however it is to be found at a different setting.

Also be careful of bass flub too at those high gain settings.

jb's 52 said:
This is in the manual page 35,

"NOTE: High settings of the PRESENCE (2:30 – 5:30) can put extra stress on even borderline microphonic
preamp tubes (ones that are susceptible to high pitched ringing and noise) and cause them to begin ringing
or show other signs of instability. "

You might be running into this on ch2 from the settings above.
thx guys will try her again this Friday

Latest posts

Back