Stiletto...which model???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omghi2u

Reaction score
I just sold my Express 5:50 and am now looking at the mesa stiletto. Played an ACE 1x12 @ GC the other day but that was all they had in stock and they jacked it up an extra $100 from the catalog too (the basterds) so I didn't pick it up. I'm more interested in a head configuration though. I play a wide range of music from bluesy stuff to 80s metal and even higher gain stuff and I don't like to use pedals. I like the Stiletto because of its versatility and the only bad thing is it doesn't have built in reverb. My questions are:

What is the difference between the ace and the deuce head (stg II)? I understand they are rated at different power but the circuitry is very similar and the deuce AFAIK can also use 50 watts. I think I can score a deuce head cheaper than the ace too. Don't know why, demand I guess. I play from low to moderate volume only in a bedroom/garage stituation.

Is there a big difference in 1x12 and 2x12? I've read other threads on this topic too and a lot of people say that 2x12 sounds fuller with more bass. All I got to try out was a 1x12 as I didn't have a 2x12 side by side comparison. I want to buy a 1x12 for space and mobility advantages (probably avatar w/V30) but I want to know if I will be sacrificing a lot of tone. So, is the difference all that serious?

Also, which do people prefer, open or closed cab? I'm kinda a n00b at this stuff cuz' this will be my first small stack. I'm used to playing just combos. I googled it but there isn't too many topics on it.

Thank you for your help.

Duece 100W vs. 50W of course. My understanding is the transformer is different (to handle 100W). Both contribute to tone differences.

What do you mean the dealer "jacked up" the price. Mesa's are to be sold at the Mesa specified price. The prices did go up in Feb of this year, so perhaps the $100 increase is for this year. BUT that should only apply to new stock, not existing stock (my understanding).

simonich said:
Duece 100W vs. 50W of course. My understanding is the transformer is different (to handle 100W). Both contribute to tone differences.

What do you mean the dealer "jacked up" the price. Mesa's are to be sold at the Mesa specified price. The prices did go up in Feb of this year, so perhaps the $100 increase is for this year. BUT that should only apply to new stock, not existing stock (my understanding).

You are correct on both counts . Bigger transformer in the Deuce and existing stock should be the 2007 price tag . Was the old price tag on the amp ? If so i would demand the advertised price .

Barry said:
simonich said:

You are correct on both counts . Bigger transformer in the Deuce and existing stock should be the 2007 price tag . Was the old price tag on the amp ? If so i would demand the advertised price .
I'm not sure if the original price tag was on it cuz I don't know if GC make their own price stickers. I asked the salesman and he said he wasn't aware of a price change (lie) but I knew how much it was going for cuz' I looked awhile ago and it was only 1599 for the 1x12 combo. Now it's 1699.

Actually if i remember right, a dealer can sell a mesa at any price as long as it does not go below what mesa defines as the lowest price for that item. Mesa does not really care if a dealer gets more money, they just dont want places like guitar center to slash the cost and make the value of mesa's go down.

simonich said:

Back