Stiletto vs Electra Dyne vs Express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skunizzi

Reaction score
I currently own a Stiletto Ace combo and previously owned a Mark III. I am ashamed to admit it, but untill now I've never considered the 5:50. As a matter of fact i've never even tried one out in person, but from all the reviews and videos I've seen it looks very interesting.

With 3 channels and two sets of knobs. A great sounding reverb, the ability to switch down to 5 watts for bedroom playing and the option of using 6l6 or el34 tubes not to mention it is compact and costs less than some of the other amps mentioned. I'm wondering if the Express 5:50 is a contender in this lineup? I've always felt the name "Express" sounded cheap or stripped down, but the options on the amp say otherwise.

I'm considering selling my Stiletto because it seems to be a little too bright end edgy to me and I prefer a darker slightly rounder sounding amp. I've also had feedback issues with the Ace which has been a pain, and the amp doesn't come with a reverb. Normally not a big issue, but for this kind of coin I resent having to dish out more money for a pedal when all the other amps already come with reverb as an option. I also prefer a simpler amp where you can spend more time playing and less time tweaking your sound.

The Electro Dyne also blew me away at first try. Its was very simple and darker sounding than most of the other Mesa amps out there, but still had plenty off balls and a very nice clean. So now I'm wondering if I would be better served with the ED or the 5:50.

Since I haven't played the 5:50 live yet, I will definatly go and check out this amp live shortly. I'd be interested in hearing what the others here think about this amp and the others mentioned here.

Thanks

This is a tough one to answer because each of these amps are very different from each other, and your ears are different than mine. If I had to pick one out of the bunch it would be the Electra Dyne. I agree with you on the stiletto... it's very bright... The express has a lot of brightness also, mainly in the upper mids. On the second channel I end up running the express with the treble all of the way off.

Something to bear in mind when you sit down to play a 5:50... Unlike your stiletto, the 5:50's tone controls are pre-gain. The best way to approach this amp is to start with the bass, mid & treble at 9:00 and make small boosts or cuts from there.

Just to clarify things, the Express is only 2 channels and there's no option for EL34s. It's a great amp, I just thought I'd point that out to keep you from making a decision based on incorrect information.

MrMason beat me to it. I was going to have to say the same thing. 2 channels have 2 different modes. 5:50 is 6L6, 5:25 is EL84.

I stand corrected about the tubes used in the amp. Thanks guys.

Now how does the amp stand up against the ED or Stiletto?

Maybe I'm just weird, but I never really liked either of those amps. Express has a really really sweet crunch channel. It's not harsh or anything. It's very very mellow, which I like. It's unbelievable for solos. The burn channel ain't half bad either. Stiletto was too harsh for my taste, and there wasn't enough gain on the Dyne for me.

skunizzi said:
I stand corrected about the tubes used in the amp. Thanks guys.

Now how does the amp stand up against the ED or Stiletto?

Ok, I have played both, the Express 5:50 and I own a Stiletto Ace. They are 2 completely different amps, with completely different sounds and characteristics.
You actually can't compare them. The Stiletto is a British voiced amp, with great British crunch and overdrive tones, and also some nice distoretd ones, and of course the best EL.34 clean I have heard so far. Relly nice, transparent.
The Express on the other side is a typical Boogie, with really nice cleans from the BF era. It is definitely American voiced. I am considering the Express 5:50 as my second amp, but not as an amp to take the place of the Stiletto.
I like the Stiletto, probably as I play in a band, and it really cuts nice through the mix, it is the typical old school amp, a stage amp. Playing it alone it probably sounds bright to ones ears, but take it to a band situation and play it on a stage and this is a completely different story then.

Kind regards
Goran

I think the main difference between the Express and most other Mesa amps is that amps like the Mark V, Stiletto, and Rectos all use distortion, whereas the Express seems to use more overdrive. Esp. on the crunch channel. It's just really sweet.

EtherealWidow said:
I think the main difference between the Express and most other Mesa amps is that amps like the Mark V, Stiletto, and Rectos all use distortion, whereas the Express seems to use more overdrive. Esp. on the crunch channel. It's just really sweet.

Isn't it all Overdrive anyway?

You mention the Recto's being distortion but the Soldano SLO 100 is a high gain amp like the recto but its called Super lead Overdrive "SLO".

UKBoogieboy said:
EtherealWidow said:

Isn't it all Overdrive anyway?

You mention the Recto's being distortion but the Soldano SLO 100 is a high gain amp like the recto but its called Super lead Overdrive "SLO".

There is some "misuse" of terminology that creates a bit of confusion sometimes.

A distortion of the signal waveform usually comes about by overdriving the tube/transistor (using it "beyond" its capacity). So I would say that the sound is distorted as the tube/transistor is overdriven.

I remember the word "distortion" was often used to signify the type of distortion coming from e.g. a Boss SD-1, but "overdrive" was the kind of distortion coming from a tube amp...

Torquil

Yeah, I was hoping I could explain it that way without making myself look like TOO much of an ***. Overdrive seems thicker and sweeter than distortion to me. I dunno...

3 very different amps.
But I prefer the 5:50 to all of them followed by the ED.
I'm not a big Stilletto fan. Too bright for me, I prefer 6L6 amps and has no reverb.

The ED is Mesa's version of a very simple amp. A great one it is but the 5:50 is much more versatile.
It's also Mesa's best value for money amp IMO.
Has excellent cleans, OD, distortion & reverb.
Plus is very light weight, portable and is easy to dial in great tones.
Basically a Lonestar Classic with a lot more gain is how I describe it. :mrgreen:

Well I am in the market for a new amp and so far I think it would be between a Electra Dyne or a Mesa 5:50. The Electra Dyne is more expensive an may have less knobs but it does sound great. I haven't tried the express yet but I'm gonna try it out this week if I get a chance.

I'll let you guys know what happends.

Had the ED for months, just picked up the 5:50. Loved the LO channel on the ED and still do, grabbed the express for a grab and go. Kicks major booty. With the contour switch it can sound like 4 amps with no knob tweaks. Really adds some balls with that. I prefer the clean to the ED clean, at least once balanced with the HI/LO channels. Both amps are great. Havent had a stiletto or even tried one.

I found this to be a very interesting topic so I wanted to join in and share my thoughts. With regard to the “overdrive” and the “distortion” terms I have always thought they were intertwined but only in one direction. Overdriving your amp can cause a nice sweet distorted sound but on the other hand you can have an artificially distorted sound without overdriving anything simply by using electronic gadgets. The factor that I use to differentiate between the two is what is the amp doing? If the amp is being pushed hard where all the tubes are saturated and clipping and the output transformer is about ready to have a thermo-nuclear meltdown you get a wonderful warm classic overdriven tone. If the amp is just on and not even close to blowing up and leaving a creator in your living room floor but you can still get distorted sound out of it then it’s just electronics whether it’s an OD pedal or internal modeling then it’s not overdrive, just simple distortion! IMO
As for the three amp choices I have never played through a Stiletto only because I personally don’t care too much for EL34 amps, I find them to bright sounding. The ED I played through belongs to a friend of mine and he has both 6L6 & EL34 tubes for it. I like that bias feature even though I’m not a fan of 34’s. The ED is a much simpler design with great tone (using the 6L6 IMO) I just don’t understand why Mesa put the Reverb control knob on the back?? There’s plenty of room up front. Overall I think the 5:50 has more versatility and I love the tone and I also love the 5 watt option; I can push my 5:50 HARD and get rich overdriven tones and not blow out my eardrums. The ED switches from 90 down to 45 watts. On another note my buddy likes his ED but he uses it with EL34’s and tons of pedals in front of it. I try to avoid using pedals and just tweak the settings to get as much as I can out of it.

Latest posts

Back