Stiletto Users: Help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Symmetry2170

Reaction score
Hey everybody! This is my first post and I'm in the market for a Mesa/Boogie and I'm looking for input. From what I've read and found on this forum you guys are really knowledgeable and helpful!

So, let's get to it...

I have owned nothing but Peavey since I began playing about 8 years ago and I recently got rid of my 5150 becuase I've come to realize that my playing styles are very diverse and that amp just did not cut it. I at first wanted a Dual Rectifier, but upon realizing that a) it's clean channel breaks up at higher volumes and b) is modeled after the Soldano Sl-100 the amp that the 5150 is modeled after shyed me away.

And now, I'm looking at the Stiletto Deuce II's and the Mark IV's. What I hear alot about the Deuce is that it is famed for having the "Marshall" or "British" tone. and to me, when i hear that I think The Who, Oasis, Zepplin, etc. And I don't want that sort of "gritty" distortion. And I was never a big fan of Marshall amps to begin with. However, the clean channel on the Deuce and Stiletto series is amazing! I've played the Ace and the Deuce. But, still upon playing them can't make a choice.

As far as the Mark IV goes a friend of mine says it's the amp for me becuase I have really diverse styles I play. However, it's aesthetic qualities put me off. I don't like the short head and the overall physical look of the Mark IV.

I know it's a long post but I could really use the help here, guys. I have GAS bad and can't get rid of it. I've played alot of the amps mentioned but just can't put my finger on the one that's right for me. And I know that most answers I could/would get would be "go play them more" well, that helps minimally.

okay, end rant. haha. Glad to be here!

Just my two cents, but I'd go with the Stiletto. I've owned numerous Mark IV's, Dual Recto's & various other Boogie's over the years and the Stiletto is the only one I've ever kept and will not get rid of. The tone, dynamics, and versatility are top notch. In my opinion, the Mark IV's are great for high-gain and clean, however are lacking in the medium-gain and crunch area compared to the Stiletto, & that's where my tone tastes lie.

peace

i definitely want that mid-range tone, as well.

and if ever wanted to add some boost i suppose an overdrive pedal of some sort would do the trick.

anyone have any two cents on the "marshall tone" reputation that they have?

I've played a lot of different Boogies but most of my experience has been with the MKIVB I had for 2 years and the Stiletto I have now. Like you, I am not really into the mid gain gritty crunch. I prefer a smoother/greasier type of crunch, ala early Van Halen. Tite Gain mode absolutely nails that sound. I set it up with the gain at around 1:30 - 2 and back off on my guitars volume to tighten the crunch then dime it for the solos. It's amazing. The MKIV I had couldn't do it like this.

Also, single note soloing flows with a lot less effort in Tite Gain & Fluid Drive on the Deuce II when compared with my MKIV in the lead Channel.

I can get a very nice Hendrix sound out of it. JCM800 on steriods as well. I've order the preamp tube combination suggested by Doug at Dougs tubes. I want to smooth and warm the amp out a bit. But even without the tube swap it sounds fantastic. As far as Marshally type sounds.... there are differrent Marshall sounds out there... IMO the Stiletto is more of a Vinage Marshall sound with a Boogie modded Marshall sound if that makes sense.

Marshall sound from 1960's to 1980's then add boogie gain to that. And a Fender backface through EL34's for the Fat Clean mode in channel one.

The amp is like owning 3 amps....
1.) An old Vintage Marshall modded for high gain
2.)A modern Boogie EL34 voiced amp
3.)An old Fender Deluxe Reverb on EL34's

Im torn on the Stiletto vs Mark Iv amp myself. I play mostly covers ( 90's to Modern rock i.e. Pearl Jam, Live, Tool, Disturbed) but I also do instrumental music. My DR does the covers but I just do not like the lead sounds. The cleans I can tolerate even though I know they are not the best.

Can the Stiletto do the hi gain material ? I know it obviously wont be recto voiced low grumble but that's what I already have anyway. I just want to get an amp to cover hi gain covers but also be equipped to play instrumental music a la Neil Zaza ( who uses Diezels and Wizard amps which are worlds apart......)

It's a strawberry ice cream vs. chocolate ice cream decision.

I am basing my opinion on what I consider the definition of high gain covers. I'm 46 and my definition of a good guitar sound may be very different from yours. Understanding that you may understand better why I come to the following opinion.

I had a MKIV and the amp was a versatile amp. In my opinion is that over the years since it has been introduced Mesa has built amps that cover what the MKIV does but with a more specialization.

eg.
MKIV were a fender style amp but the Lonestar, roadster, etc do better Fender sounds than the MKIV

The Rectos are heavier Nu metal sounding

The Stilettos do the Marshall thing, etc

The point is that when the MKIV came out it was the only Boogie guitar amp model available. (Correct me if I' wrong).

IT was a jack of all trades amp.

Now having said that... The MKIV and before that the prior MK series amps have always been THE boogie lead sound.

The lead channel is very good.

The clean channel is darker and a lot less 3 dimensional than the lead channel on a Stiletto. And even more so than the Lone Star.

The MKIV is also a tighter amp than any other currently produced Mesa IMO.

If you're into the Dream THeatre type of stuff I would go for the MKIV. For me the Timmons/Satriani style is what I prefer and the Stiletto does that far better than the MKIV. You're going to have to play them both (preferably live with a band) to really know. I suspect you be limited to buying one and then GAS'ing your brains out about the other one online here like the rest of us. The owners of the one you didn't get will be selling you on their amp until you die of GAS! LMAO

For me I owned the MKIV and played it for a couple of years then got the Stiletto and for me there is no comparison between the two. The other musicians that I play with have all commented on how much better the Stiletto sounds over the MKIV but, it could be that the Stiletto is just a better amp for my style...guitar...etc. For you there may be no comparison the other way.

The onset of clip distortion, touch sensitivity, expressiveness, and fluid feel across all channels and modes makes the Stiletto my favorite of the two.

The Stiletto manual makes the following statement:

"The less resistant feel on the strings will have you burning…smashing your previous metronome boundaries with an effortless flow and sense of confidence you have likely never experienced."

I am a very clean player (meaning accurate in technique) and am definite/deliberate with every note I play but even so I found what I am about to say next was the number one reason I switched amps. What I found was that with the MKIV... although the lead sound was very nice... it was harder to play through... the notes felt disjointed and it was like there were speed bumps or something. You can't bluff on a MKIV at all. The MKIV will take any sloppiness in your playing and announce it to the world. On a Stiletto you are given some grace. For instance... fingerpicking in the clean channel if I caught a string hard the note on the MKIV will come out 3 times louder and slap the side of your head silly.... on a Stiletto the note is nearer to the volume of the rest of the notes but with more clip/breakup... That to me is nice touch sensitivity (The sound of the note changes... with very little to average volume change) With the MKIV the note still sounds the same but the volume is A LOT louder. To me that is poor touch sensitivity... others may prefer that and disagree with me. The Same thing applies to the other modes.

Excellent post srf399. Sorry, I think I hijacked this thread which I had not intended.

Your information is great. And like you say........If I buy one I'll still be gasing for the other.

I think I am going to actively pursue the Stiletto ( deuce stage 2of course) for now. Reason being that I am 35 and my days of playing in cover bands can not go on forever. If I stop playing live then a 100 watt head is senseless ( and I already have 2 recs). I think a Mark IV 1x12 combo amp will better suite me when I am not playing out. It seems more reasonable for home use and recording which I used to do a lot of before the every weekend gigs started a few years ago.

I will of course continue to gas. Hell, maybe I should just invest in Beano and call it a day.

Thanks for the great info. Sorry about the hijacked thread......

I definitely like what I have heard from everyone that's posted in here who owns the Stiletto and/or the Mark IV. I was right, you guys are helpful and really informative. I'm definitely now leaning towards the Stiletto more heavily after reading the posts in the thread.

I play instrumental stuff that varies between Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Weiner, Friedmann, etc etc etc. But, I also play some Jazz, a bit of "metal" if you want to call it that. I have an eclectic style of playing and writing. Progressive Instrumentalism would be the best term to categorize it, if you wish to do so. How do you guys think the Stiletto would handle that wide of a range of playing?

The MKIV will do darker jazz better than the Stiletto. You might want to also take a look at a THD Bivalve. Very cool features. I haven't played through one yet but I want to try one soon. You can use any type of tubes in them preamp or power tube. They are a non master volume amp with a power attenuator build into them. They are self biasing and Class A. Go listen to it and the Univalve on the THD website. Very high ratings on the Bivalue on Harmony Central with a lot of people posting. Also really good trade industry reviews.

Symmetry2170
Listen to Slither by Velvet Revolver. That is the Stiletto. I get that exact tone. The guitar player (not slash) is using a Stiletto. Your not going to get that Creed sound. My guitar rig has a Stiletto Deuce, LoneStar Classic, and Dual Recto all going into 2 - 4x12 cabs. I actually mix the Recto with the Deuce when I am playing heavy stuff. This gives me 7 channels total.

Bmarchant

That sounds like a rig that will get you pretty much any tone possible... Wow I'd love to get a LSC head to sit on top of my Deuce. But having the Recto as well.... nice.

Hi Srf399,
This rig is the best I've had. I get from crystal clear cleans to thick high gain by mixing the stiletto with the Recto. You need a pilots license to use my pedal board but I can get any sound I need, plus by mixing that AC/DC sound from the stiletto with the Recto at the same time, you get amazing high gain with note clarity.

03-14-08_2053.jpg

The Stiletto Ace is an amazing amp. The cleans are very nice and it'll also roar along any Marshall you put against it!

Can the Stiletto do Metal?
Well, i tend to think so.
one of my bands records with a room mic at the rehearsal studio every practice, and i recorded tonights practice with my Stiletto Deuce II tonight.
I was playing on Ch. 2- Fluid Mode, 100watts, and Bold. Standard "E" tuning. Guitar, an Ibanez SZ720FM loaded with a Duncan Distortion.
No mixer, just a room mic. Guitar could have been louder, and bass lower. oh well.

If you ever wondered if Stiletto's could be heavy, give this a listen.

http://www.mightywarlock.com/epitome/lookintomyeyes.mp3

YES! LOL! I think that mp3 proves the Stiletto's metal cred. Mightywarlock, are you using a booster or straight Stiletto distortion? This clip just sold me on the Stiletto, without question. By the way, song rocks. I dunno about the vocals, a little too deadly for me (my singer has oddly been delving into this sound himself lately), but it all sounds good.

i believe i outlined the setup.
guitar, straight into head, into a cab. (this cab was a marshall from the rehearsal studio). I imagine it was a 16ohm cab, but since it was at the studio, who knows for sure?
The cab didn't produce the amount of volume i am used to out of my Mesa cabs, so i am sure it was a 16ohm cab (less power).

if you want to hear more samples, i can post more tracks from yesterday.

I dont understand why people ask if a Stiletto can do Metal. For decades Marshalls were the standard for Metal tones. The Stiletto is Mesa's take on the Marshall tone and has 2 NOTED high gain modes.

Just reading the site I could tell that the Stiletto would be fine for playing metal.

Latest posts

Back