Stiletto users: Have you found that the Holy Grail tones are

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I discovered the opposite to be true with my Ace head. I use a G-Major in the effects loop, and with the channel masters cranked I was getting a brittle, over-compressed sound. The channel masters were overloading the effects.

I lowered the masters to the point where they didn't cause the overload, and raised the master output. Problem solved.

Now, I use a separate power amp for the effects and run wet/dry/wet. The dry sound in my 412 is clear and punchy, and the wet sound in two 112s, running in stereo, is thick and lush.

SoCalSteve said:
'hidden' within the FX loop? I've been totally ignorant of this fact. I thought the amp sounded great but a little too compressed. Today, browsing through the manual and trying out some of the factory sample settings, I noticed the master volumes on the examples were set pretty high and remembered what someone told me about cranking the masters and using the output control too adjust the overall volume. It finally clicked.

Lo and behold, it sounded like the cliche "someone took a wet blanket off the amp". I couldn't believe the difference in the dynamics and the amp's tone really opening up. Not at very low conversational levels mind you, but as you turn up the output knob the difference becomes dramatic.

Am I the only one that's "late to the party" on this? Maybe this will help other Stiletto owners who aren't aware or people trying the amp out in a store.

wait, are you talking about cranking the channel master volumes, then controlling overall volume with the "output" knob??

I found that when I crank the Master, which would be the one knob for overall output volume, and use the channel volume to control the output the amp sounded warmer. Doing the opposite (cranking the channel volume and using the master to control the output) was more harsh.

I found that mine came to life when I ran a delay through the effects loop. Totally different than when I ran the delay in front of the amp.

I like a nice balance between pre/post amp distortion, it's easy to find, balance your channel and master controls. I like using it with the FX loop engaged, it gets huge tone even at lower volumes and really comes to life with an analog delay in the loop. LP straight into Ace with a delay in the loop is sonic/tonal bliss

SoCalSteve said:
Today, browsing through the manual and trying out some of the factory sample settings, I noticed the master volumes on the examples were set pretty high and remembered what someone told me about cranking the masters and using the output control too adjust the overall volume. It finally clicked.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm new to the Stiletto. But I think part of what you wrote is key to getting good sounds out of the Stiletto - try out ALL of the factory suggested settings. The amp has so many modes, switches, "spongy" settings, etc. that there are a ton of tone options.

I wonder if some people who don't like the Stiletto didn't get a good demo of the amp. It's not necessarily a plug-n-play amp and I could see someone trying a Stiletto set one way and not liking it, but perhaps totally loving some other settings.

Platypus said:
I like a nice balance between pre/post amp distortion, it's easy to find, balance your channel and master controls. I like using it with the FX loop engaged, it gets huge tone even at lower volumes and really comes to life with an analog delay in the loop. LP straight into Ace with a delay in the loop is sonic/tonal bliss

+1!
I do the same thing :D

flieger67 said:
SoCalSteve said:
Today, browsing through the manual and trying out some of the factory sample settings, I noticed the master volumes on the examples were set pretty high and remembered what someone told me about cranking the masters and using the output control too adjust the overall volume. It finally clicked.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm new to the Stiletto. But I think part of what you wrote is key to getting good sounds out of the Stiletto - try out ALL of the factory suggested settings. The amp has so many modes, switches, "spongy" settings, etc. that there are a ton of tone options.

I wonder if some people who don't like the Stiletto didn't get a good demo of the amp. It's not necessarily a plug-n-play amp and I could see someone trying a Stiletto set one way and not liking it, but perhaps totally loving some other settings.

And if you notice in the factory settings, the master volume levels are different for each example. They are blending the gain and the master volumes for the optimum tone. I always just figured the master volume settings in the examples were just random but they are not. They work together with the gain. I noticed in the review of the Ace, the reviewer also suggests leaving the loop in at all times.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0806_MesaBoogieStilettoAce.php

I tried the fx loop out on my Deuce for the first time today. I didn't notice any difference (I've been running it with the fx loop disabled so far).

Sounds really good though.

On a somewhat related note has anybody tried out any of the available fx loop switchers?

For example:

http://tonebone.com/re-bigshot-efx.htm

I'd really like to find something like the above switcher but with a remote footswitch so I can keep all of the cables for my fx loop and pedals really short AND true bypass.

Radial also makes another loop switcher that looks pretty interesting but it isn't true bypass:

http://tonebone.com/tb-loopbone.htm

*DOPEMAN* said:
I tried the fx loop out on my Deuce for the first time today. I didn't notice any difference (I've been running it with the fx loop disabled so far).

Sounds really good though.

On a somewhat related note has anybody tried out any of the available fx loop switchers?

For example:

http://tonebone.com/re-bigshot-efx.htm

I'd really like to find something like the above switcher but with a remote footswitch so I can keep all of the cables for my fx loop and pedals really short AND true bypass.

Radial also makes another loop switcher that looks pretty interesting but it isn't true bypass:

http://tonebone.com/tb-loopbone.htm

I use the Headbone VT . Its a great piece of gear . The radial guys make great stuff . I was directed to them by Mesa artist relations .

abe said:
I found that when I crank the Master, which would be the one knob for overall output volume, and use the channel volume to control the output the amp sounded warmer. Doing the opposite (cranking the channel volume and using the master to control the output) was more harsh.

yea, this is how i kinda run mine too. i usually have the one overall "output' knob at 50%, and run the channel volumes to taste

SoCalSteve said:
And if you notice in the factory settings, the master volume levels are different for each example. They are blending the gain and the master volumes for the optimum tone. I always just figured the master volume settings in the examples were just random but they are not. They work together with the gain. I noticed in the review of the Ace, the reviewer also suggests leaving the loop in at all times.

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2006/0806_MesaBoogieStilettoAce.php

Yep, and you can control the overall output level or volume with the Output control with the effects loop engaged. That seems to be the only way to crank the channel master volumes without having to deal with the resultant sound pressure level.

Back