Stiletto to Lone Star

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking to trade my Stiletto for a Lone Star because I want my main tone to have more warmth. I do love the Stiletto, though, and I was wondering if any of you have found a good pedal that does a respectable "Marshall in a box" sound. I know the Zvex Box of Rock and MI Audio Crunchbox are popular pedals for this sort of thing, but I was curious what you guys use.

Thanks.

I replaced the stock speaker in my LSS 1x12 with a G12M-25. Did a better job of rocking that amp up than any pedal could do... IMO of course.

If I remember correctly you're looking for an amp with multiple rhythm channels and aren't really concerned about having a lead channel.

IMO, channel 2 on the LSC and LSS is meant for lead. It's big, bold and in your face... and it really struggles if you try to constrain it to crunchy rhythm playing.

FWIW, based on some of your other posts I think the amp you're looking for is the ED. The LoneStar will likely frustrate you.

Thanks. I'm definitely in information-gathering mode, but I won't really make a decision until I get a chance to play through some amps, especially side-by-side.

There are lots of good Marshall-in-a-box pedals out there, so a lot depends on what your expectations for that might be. I'm pretty happy with the Barber Direct Drive Super Sport for that particular angle... it gets you closer to JCM800 than Plexi, but it's a very tweakable pedal and can give you a lot of different shades.

I agree that Ch2 on the Lone Stars is best as a lead platform, though it's good for rhythm too -- just not Marshall-style crunch. It's more Keef than Jimmy.

From what I remember (it's been a few years) the Lone Star had a darker rhythm tone, and that's kinda what I'm looking for. I just traded my Strat for a PRS Hollowbody to see if a warmer guitar will help. If it doesn't help, the Ace is gone, and my next amp will probably be a Lone Star, maybe an Electra Dyne. Should I decide to go for a Lone Star, I would really like to find a tone similar to what I have now. See, it's not that I don't like my current tone; I just don't like it ALL the time.

So we'll see how my guitar change works out for now. Thanks for the input.

If you're after a darker/warmer sound... have you tried a cab with G12M-25s?

While they're not exactly darker than a V30 they do produce a warmer, more woody tone.

(not sure if you're using V30s or not... just throwing the idea out there)

Speakers are my weak link when it comes to guitar knowledge. :) No, I haven't tried those. Heck, I'd never even heard of them! Lol.

I'm not tied to amps like I am my guitars. My guitars are like family members to me, and are much less easily replaced than an amplifier.

I bought my Stiletto because I really liked the ones I had demoed in the store, and when it popped up in the classifieds, I loved the color and jumped on it. I do not regret it, but I've realized that I want something a little warmer. (I think I've said that a hundred times now, haha.) It just doesn't make sense to me to take an inherently bright amp and throw bandaids on it to try to warm it up.

I hope the PRS makes a better match, but if it doesn't, I'll see if I can trade my amp in against something else. If that doesn't work, I'll sell it. No hard feelings. :)

I do love it, though, and wish I had more money so I could just keep it.

Oh, why didn't you just say Greenback? Lol. I thought that's what it might be, and Google just confirmed it. No, I've never played through a cab with Greenbacks, even though my Mesa dealer is on the corner of Greenback and Sunrise. ;)

ifailedshapes said:
Oh, why didn't you just say Greenback? Lol. I thought that's what it might be, and Google just confirmed it. No, I've never played through a cab with Greenbacks, even though my Mesa dealer is on the corner of Greenback and Sunrise. ;)

I used to call them Greenbacks, then learned that some people call G12H-30s Greenbacks as well for some reason so I stopped using the term Greenback as it seemed to cause confusion.

I wouldn't really call changing speakers a bandaid solution. They're they final voice of your amplifier. For example: if you're using V30s it doesn't matter if you're using a Marshall or Mesa... you'll still hear the tonality of the V30 dominate the final product. Swapping speakers can often affect the tone as much or even more than changing amplifiers. The difference between Eddie Van Halen and 3/4 of the death metal bands out there is the choice of speakers. EVH = 5150 into G12M-25s. Death Metal = 5150 into V30s.

I've sold a number of amplifiers in the past thinking that they were close but not quite what I wanted. Turned out it was the sound of the speaker/cab I was using I didn't like.

Not saying that this will be true for you. Just tossing it out as an idea. If any of the local guitar shops have a Marshall Vintage Modern or Fender EVH III 4x12s in stock they're loaded with Greenbacks and may be worth checking out.

Latest posts

Back