Stiletto Stage I and II differences

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMPMAN

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know there has been some topics brought up about the differences between the Stiletto Stage I and II amps. My local store has a Stage I Duece on clearance and I really like the tone from it but they don't have a Stage II for me to compare the changes between them. Can anyone help me out with that because if these alterations are not too different then I will more than likely go with the Stage I version. Thx.

JMPMAN said:
Hey guys, I know there has been some topics brought up about the differences between the Stiletto Stage I and II amps. My local store has a Stage I Duece on clearance and I really like the tone from it but they don't have a Stage II for me to compare the changes between them. Can anyone help me out with that because if these alterations are not too different then I will more than likely go with the Stage I version. Thx.

Stage II have been revoiced in every mode except tite gain and it has a updated transformer . Stage II is a bit more aggresive and quicker if you will . Stage I has a bit more sag . They are both great amps . I have stage I for sale . Absolute pristine/mint condition in original box including original hang tags, footswith with cord and pouch, manual and all original documents, slip cover and transferrable warranty .

From the Classifieds section:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=11087

Check out Barry's site for clips (Feel Like makin Love and Doctor Doctor) - www.toyzzband.com

8)

Stage I Stiletto's have serious balls.... don't let anyone tell you different. You just need a bit of patience to tweak with the settings.

The Stage II is a bit "tighter". I will admit I prefer the Fluid Drive mode on the Stage II, but I spend a majority of my time in the Tite Gain mode... so it's a moot point :)

What kind of music do you play, and what kind of tone are you shooting for?

Flashpoint said:
Stage I Stiletto's have serious balls.... don't let anyone tell you different. You just need a bit of patience to tweak with the settings.

The Stage II is a bit "tighter". I will admit I prefer the Fluid Drive mode on the Stage II, but I spend a majority of my time in the Tite Gain mode... so it's a moot point :)

What kind of music do you play, and what kind of tone are you shooting for?

Flash,
You are correct about stage I . I agree on tite gain as well . Its the best mode on the amp and Mesa obviously agrees as they did not revoice that mode . I bought a stage II but only because i got a very good deal on it . Im selling my stage I but honestly i could be very content to stay with it .

I had both as well and while I prefer the stage II, the stage I was awesome. I know they didn't revoice the tite gain mode but it doesn't sound the same on my ace as it did on the stage I deuce I had. It's very close, maybe it's a mental thing but I got a 'richer' tone out of it on the stage I.

Other than that, the clean is ridiculously good on both but I prefer the stage II's once again.. I typically prefer the tone of 6L6's for cleans but mesa pulled it off. Channel 1 is a launch pad for any pedal you want to throw at it, it does fuzzes amazingly well. Great for stomping on an overdrive for that nasty EL34 bliss and wild solos.

Fluid Drive is much better on the Stage II, I just have to say it. It can definetly be tuned properly on the stage I but I wasn't satisfied with that channel and the amp didn't wow me because of it.. plus I wanted to buy an Orange instead so I returned the stiletto :p

Bottom line, if you dig the tone of the stage I, snag it. The differences are a matter of taste.. and there are pluses and minuses to both. You can always sell it later if you play a stage II one day and like it better.

Platypus said:
I had both as well and while I prefer the stage II, the stage I was awesome. I know they didn't revoice the tite gain mode but it doesn't sound the same on my ace as it did on the stage I deuce I had. It's very close, maybe it's a mental thing but I got a 'richer' tone out of it on the stage I.

Other than that, the clean is ridiculously good on both but I prefer the stage II's once again.. I typically prefer the tone of 6L6's for cleans but mesa pulled it off. Channel 1 is a launch pad for any pedal you want to throw at it, it does fuzzes amazingly well. Great for stomping on an overdrive for that nasty EL34 bliss and wild solos.

Fluid Drive is much better on the Stage II, I just have to say it. It can definetly be tuned properly on the stage I but I wasn't satisfied with that channel and the amp didn't wow me because of it.. plus I wanted to buy an Orange instead so I returned the stiletto :p

Bottom line, if you dig the tone of the stage I, snag it. The differences are a matter of taste.. and there are pluses and minuses to both. You can always sell it later if you play a stage II one day and like it better.

The reason your stage II tite gain is different is because of the transformer . At the end of the day it all comes down to personal taste . I myself love EL34s over 6L6s for cleans . They just chime . I played my first gig with my stage II last weekend and I wasnt very happy at first . Its a different beast . You have to approach the tweaking in a different manner than stage I . I talked at length yesterday with a friend at Mesa about the stage II . Learned alot . I still think Stage I is a great amp .

The Tridents have a different voice than the Deuce as well. The Trident (in my opinion) has more low end, and the tone is a bit more full bodied.

The Tite Gain mode on my Trident with an MXR EQ in the FX loop is all I need to get my tone. I throw a Boss SD-1 in front of the amp when I want to get really knarly distortion.

I love my Trident series 1. I'm so glad I didn't sell it 8) Series II doesn't wow me enough to even consider it. But, then again I wasn't not happy with series I. They're both excellent amps!

Flash, I play mainly rock to heavy rock oriented type stuff and I actually went yesterday and played through the stage I again and I think that I need to check out the stage II version due to the comments of it being a little tighter, maybe even an ACE model. So, the search continues, though I'm very happy with my Marshall JMP MV 50 watt and JCM 800 Reissue along with a used Mesa Dual Recto that I'm really digging. Just wanted to look into something with a little more versatility that could go from clean to overdrive tones.

Back