Stiletto retubing help: Not sure what I can use

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xnfx

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Since Mesa's have a fixed bias without an adjustment pot, I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction for new tubes. I understand you can use anything in the preamp with no problems, but you need to use only power tubes that are rated in the Mesa specs zone right? How do I know which brand of tubes I can use? I know I can use any Mesa tube, and can just ask eurotubes or something for mesa spec'd tubes, but I wanted to know what to look for myself.

I've heard that the Groove tube ratings match up with Mesa color codes. Is this true? Does anyone have the chart that shows these ratings so I can see what is useable in my amp?

I'm looking for EL34's for a Stiletto.

Thanks!

If you want to stay stock, why not go with Mesa tubes? They don't put their name on junky tubes (maybe cooler tubes, but not junk). But some others to check in to are Sylvetna (sp) and JJ tubes. Bob over at eruotubes.com is real good at helping you choose tubes and has a decent price on them too. He can even point you in the right direction if you're looking for a change in tone. You might try him too.

I had some GT's EL34's given to me and I used them for a month before I sold the amp and I had no problem with them. I think they were rated around 3 (I think), so they took longer to break up.

The Mesa color codes are all matched, so it's best to stay with one color at a time. I did use some blues with some blacks once in a triple recto and didn't have any troubles either.

Let us know what you go with?

Thanks tele_jas!
I'm trying to find out what is the mesa bias range that they use with their tubes, just for curiositys sake. Everyone recommends just telling eurotubes that you have a mesa and he'll choose the correct range for you. I just want to find out what that range is, just to know. :)

Thanks for the tube suggestions. Do you happen to know how much the JJ's from eurotubes can tighten things up? A lot of people say that stilettos need tightening up in some areas. I've not really noticed any of this yet, but I would like to see what kind of changes are available.

Thanks!

xnfx said:
Thanks tele_jas!
I'm trying to find out what is the mesa bias range that they use with their tubes, just for curiositys sake. Everyone recommends just telling eurotubes that you have a mesa and he'll choose the correct range for you. I just want to find out what that range is, just to know. :)

Thanks!

the "range" is arbitrary depending on who is rating the tubes.
To use a popular example, Randall Smith says Groove Tubes rated between 3- 7 are A-Ok for Mesas.

Now that 3-7 is Groove Tubes own system.
Its a really minute difference soundwise though.
Your guitar of choice, or speakers will make a much bigger difference than the kind of tubes you use.
Im not saying they make NO difference, just dont put too much weight into them.

The typical bias setting for 6L6s in Mesa is around 28mA. When you buy tubes, they have to match the tube power structure (which varies with each tube since there are so many parts and variables in a vacuum tube). Grooove, Eurotubes, the Tubestore or just about any of the other big names will get you tubes that are closely matched to Mesa's re-labled tubes.

Quite frankly, I think the Mesa 6L6's (STR440's I think) are very nice sounding tubes. i heard they were the same manufacturer as Ruby tubes, but with slightly different specs - Ruby's have some proprietary components.

One other note. On my LSC, the plate current is 419v. The 6L6's I use are rated at 30W, but I do the calc for bias as if they are 25W. At 70% or max dissipation ((.7x25W)/419v) I get a bias fo around 42mA. Mesa fixes the bias at about 50% of max. That is pretty cold and may be a key reason for the Mesa sound. A lot of techs will set bias in the 60 to 65% range - enough to let the tube blossom, but not so hot that the distortion gets ugly.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Back