stiletto question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyodeath

Reaction score
hi, was wondering if someone could give me a little advice.
I've been looking to get a stiletto for a while now to compliment my ROV. Something to use for practice and small to medium gigs. I was considering one of the ACE combos and was wondering what the difference was, tonally or otherwise, between the 1x12 and 2x12? I'm looking to buy used and 1x12's seem to pop up more than 2x12's so i don't know whether or not to hold out.

Also, my local GC has a Stiletto Trident head, series 2, for 1300 or so. If I could get them to come down a bit on the price, is it a better option to just get that and a cab? I prefer combos for the convenience, but I 've heard the Trident sounds good, so it might be worth it.

The 1x12 is going to sound more broken up quicker as the full load of the amp is driving one speaker.

The 2x12 is going to have more oomph and bass, the two speakers have cancelled frequencies between them as well, I think the 2x12 sounds fuller. I debated this for a long time before I decided the extra weight was worth the fuller sound.

Both are fantastic amps, you can't go wrong.

I used to own a Stiletto Trident and it sounded awesome! but only in big venues. At practice or small clubs, i just could not get the right tone out of it at low volumes.

cool, then i guess the ace is a better choice...no arenas for me in the near future. btw, if you'd like to sell me one...let me know.

The trident sounds amazing, but only when you have it cranked, and yes that was too loud for me, and I play pretty big shows. The ace 1x12 is my practice amp. I use a duece and 4x12 for just about everything now. It does it all except old school country and blues-the lonestar covers that.

an ace can do arena shows. Look at Dave from Velvet Revolver (uses a 2X12 ace live) or Brouce Bouliet from Paul Gilberts band. Both use ace combos.

There isnt a lot of volume diff b/w 50 and 100 watts. The diff is in headroom and you arent going to be cranking either at gigs since you should be going through a PA.

Latest posts

Back