Stiletto owners: crunch difference on channels 1 and 2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flieger67

Reaction score
For you Stiletto players, particularly the ACE combo version, how would you describe the difference in the sound, gain and feel of the crunch mode on channels 1 and 2? I know from reading reviews and the owner's manual that the presence circuit on the two channels is different which is supposed to affect the way the crunch mode sounds. But I was wondering if any of you could try to describe it for me.

Sadly, the Mesa dealer in my area is out of Stilettos so I can't go try one out for myself. :cry:

Thanks for the responses.

I love the Crunch on channel 1, but I don't like the Crunch on channel 2 much at all. It's a good bit darker on 2, and much more sparkly on 1. I use channel 1's Crunch, which I call Blue Crunch, as my main clean sound and use the guitars' volume controls to keep things pretty clean, but then I can roll the volume up all the way and get great biting crunch.

Also, Blue Crunch is THE setting for when I want the gain to come from a pedal. I use Frantone's The Sweet and HBE's UFO fuzzes, plus HBE's Power Screamer and Big D pedals for overdrive and high gain distortion on this setting. It will take anything I can throw at it and still sound amazing!

cvansickle said:
I love the Crunch on channel 1, but I don't like the Crunch on channel 2 much at all. It's a good bit darker on 2, and much more sparkly on 1. I use channel 1's Crunch, which I call Blue Crunch, as my main clean sound and use the guitars' volume controls to keep things pretty clean, but then I can roll the volume up all the way and get great biting crunch.

Also, Blue Crunch is THE setting for when I want the gain to come from a pedal. I use Frantone's The Sweet and HBE's UFO fuzzes, plus HBE's Power Screamer and Big D pedals for overdrive and high gain distortion on this setting. It will take anything I can throw at it and still sound amazing!

Totally agree, the blue crunch is far superior in my opinion it takes pedals so well, especially fuzzes. The red crunch doesn't sound that great when I have my fluid gain settings dialed in.

cvansickle - why do use the OD and fuzz boxes? Is it for tonal reason or don't you find the tite and fluid drive options on the red channel to your liking?

platypus - if you change the controls on the red channel, do you find that you get a tone that you like from the crunch setting? It almost sounds like you might like a 3-channel ACE with a crunch channel separate from the red channel.

flieger67 said:
cvansickle - why do use the OD and fuzz boxes? Is it for tonal reason or don't you find the tite and fluid drive options on the red channel to your liking?

platypus - if you change the controls on the red channel, do you find that you get a tone that you like from the crunch setting? It almost sounds like you might like a 3-channel ACE with a crunch channel separate from the red channel.

I imagine like cvansickle like myself just likes lots of tonal options to play with. The amp itself doesn't need anything to sound good.. just different textures to play with.

As far as the crunch on red, I wouldn't change a thing. I use the tite gain and fluid drive on channel 2 and leave my crunch settting on channel 1. The amp is very touch sensitive and dynamic so if I want less gain and more 'crunch' style tones, I roll the volume pot on my guitar down and play lighter.. sounds perfect.

My favorite setting on the Ace is the Tite Gain. But Blue Crunch is a great bedrock sound for effects. Sometimes I want the sound of the amp's high gain, and sometimes I like the pedals and Blue Crunch combination.

Some players like the box of 8 colors - I want the 128 colors box with the built-in sharpener!

so far, I use channel one mainly in the 'fat clean' mode. I love that mode for pure cleans. Ch2 2 is my dedicated OD channel. I mainly use the 'tite gain' mode for heavy rock, but when the next songs calls for it, I switch to 'crunch' mode in ch 2, it the greatest classic rock sound ever. And this is just with the flip of a switch. I don't even need to re-Eq anything for adjust the volume. very versitale.

I'm gonnna have to explore the ch 1 crunch mode more. Interesting how u guys say its better than the ch2 crunch.

inkwachemis said:
so far, I use channel one mainly in the 'fat clean' mode. I love that mode for pure cleans. Ch2 2 is my dedicated OD channel. I mainly use the 'tite gain' mode for heavy rock, but when the next songs calls for it, I switch to 'crunch' mode in ch 2, it the greatest classic rock sound ever. And this is just with the flip of a switch. I don't even need to re-Eq anything for adjust the volume. very versitale.

I'm gonnna have to explore the ch 1 crunch mode more. Interesting how u guys say its better than the ch2 crunch.

I run mine very similar to you as well. It would be so awesome if you could foot-switch between modes because as you stated...there usually isnt much of a need to re-EQ after switching. I find the Ace very easy to EQ unlike some of my past amps. It seems to always sound good no matter where the knobs end up.

Finnster said:
inkwachemis said:

I run mine very similar to you as well. It would be so awesome if you could foot-switch between modes because as you stated...there usually isnt much of a need to re-EQ after switching. I find the Ace very easy to EQ unlike some of my past amps. It seems to always sound good no matter where the knobs end up.

yep agreed. the Ace is really easy to get to sound good. in fact, in the past 3 rehearsals, i dont think i even turned any knobs but the volume knobs. definitely a set and forget amp for me. my old rectoverb, not the case at all

Back