Stiletto or Rectifier 4 x 12 cab best with a 5:50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vbf

Reaction score
I presently have a Bugera 4 x 12 that I use with my 5:50 and like it. However, I'd like to acquire a Mesa 4 x 12 cab and definitely want a closed back, which limits the choices to a Stiletto and Rectifier. Is there a big difference between the two? Anyone care to make a recommendation either way? Thanks!!!!!

I have the 5:50 head with a 4x12 Stiletto slant cab. I love it! The Mesa dealer in my area had both the Rectifier & Stiletto cabs in stock when I was trying out almost everything in the store. The Rectifier straight cab, I feel is much bassier, has a lot more low end punch, very noticably more. I chose the Stiletto 4x12 slant because it moves a lot of air and still has plenty of punch. I mainly use my 5:50 in the 5 watt mode and the 4x12 can still make it a seismic, ground shaking experience! Also down the road I want to turn my 5:50 head/4x12 Stiletto into a full stack with the Rectifier 4x12 straight cab. I KNOW I don't need it but I want it! :mrgreen:

That's some great information and helps me in my leanings towards the Stiletto slant cab. I have to find a store that actually has one as most carry the Rectifier 4 x 12. Ideally I'd like to hear them both. And you're idea of a Rectifier straight AND a Stiletto slant is an excellent one. :) Thank you for the info.

I really hope you can find a Mesa dealer with both Stiletto & Rectifier 4x12 cabs so that you can hear and feel the difference. Although the Recto is only slightly bigger in width & height it is actually much BIGGER sounding! They both share a similar interior design and the exact same speakers. I had the good fortune of being able to try out each of the two 4x12 Mesa cabs at my local dealer and also combine them. To begin, I was surprised that the 5:50 in the 5 watt setting could easily drive the 4x12 cabs rated at 260 watts and still sound authoritative. My 5:50 head is very bassy sounding and played through the Stiletto 4x12 it’s thunderous but not over the top. The 5:50 through a Recto 4x12 is rattle the windows, knock your fillings out, over the top! When you combine the two you can really back off the bass and find a nice blend. It worked for me, hopefully it works for you. My Christmas present to myself this year will be the Rectifier 4x12 straight cab so I can turn my 5:50 Head/Stiletto 4x12 slant cab into a full stack! :D

You know, there's also the option of the Recto 4x12 "classic" cab, instead of the "standard" oversized one. This cab is not as tall...almost exactly the size of the 1960 Marshall cab...and it seems to have a tighter low end. I have the "standard" cab. and it's almost too loose in the lows, sometimes. If I buy another Mesa 4x12 (love the heavy duty castor mounting system), I'd buy the "classic" sized cab.

I thought the Mesa 4x12 "classic" sized cab is what is now marketed as the Stiletto Traditional cab; which is what I have. Similar in size to the Marshall 1960 however it has slight design & construction differences to give it a different voice than the 1960. Originally the Recto was marketed as "Oversized" now it's "Standard". Both the Stiletto and Recto 4x12 cabs utilize the Celestion V30 speakers yet the Stiletto has a tighter/cleaner bass and more pronounced midrange than the Recto. The Recto size advantage allows it to produce thundering low end. As I wrote earlier, I think the Rectifier Straight 4x12 with a Stiletto Slant 4x12 on top of it makes an awesome combination! :D
To correct my earlier post the Mesa 4x12 cabs are rated at 240 Watts not 260.

THE TUBENATOR said:
I thought the Mesa 4x12 "classic" sized cab is what is now marketed as the Stiletto Traditional cab; which is what I have. Similar in size to the Marshall 1960 however it has slight design & construction differences to give it a different voice than the 1960. Originally the Recto was marketed as "Oversized" now it's "Standard". Both the Stiletto and Recto 4x12 cabs utilize the Celestion V30 speakers yet the Stiletto has a tighter/cleaner bass and more pronounced midrange than the Recto. The Recto size advantage allows it to produce thundering low end. As I wrote earlier, I think the Rectifier Straight 4x12 with a Stiletto Slant 4x12 on top of it makes an awesome combination! :D
To correct my earlier post the Mesa 4x12 cabs are rated at 240 Watts not 260.

I was just looking at the Mesa site, and I'll bet you're right. When I bought my recto cab, it was called a "standard" but described as being oversized. The "classic" (smaller) recto was still offered...and Stiletto didn't exist yet. I bought the larger cab to complement a particular head I had at the time, and that worked well, but later I wished I'd gotten the other cab, as the "standard" wasn't as tight as I would have liked with the next head I purchased. I'm currently trying to sell my recto cab, and would probably get the Stiletto next (if I can't find a used "classic" cab). I still have my Port City 2x12 with ToneTubbys, anyway. ;)

Latest posts

Back