Stiletto Deuce II: opinion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdesalvo

Reaction score
So after my second rehearsal I have to say that I'm very, very inmpressed with this rig (on top of a 4x12 with G12K-100s). Intially, I found it to be thin and bright (I play a 2007 SG-GT with a Rio BBQ in the bridge) to the point where I thought I might have made a mistake. At this time, I had my board going through the input.

Last night after rehearsal, I rewired my board (MPS Pedal Pad II) and split it into two chains:

1: Input bound: Tuner > Hot British > Input
2: Loop: Delay > Chorus > EQ (Boss GE7 - MXR 10 band on way)

I had to turn up the FX Return to nearly max to get my signal strength back, but no love lost here; wow. What an excellent sounding and transparent loop- I'm impressed. I also was able to use the global output and solo functions now that the loop is switched in. Cranking the global up to about 12:00 produces a significant warming effect on the amp overall. Even without the EQ, the amp sounds amazing.

I have no idea how Mesa managed to get such a sparkling, chimey, and dynamic clean tone from these EL34s; it's stunning. I've owned several Fenders and this thing actually hangs. My humbuckers actually sound gorgeous when split through this amp. I can cop excellent blues tones with this channel- sort of a Voxy/Fendery blend to my ears. I don't find tight clean to be useable- too flat and midrangey through my rig; too immediate in response to pick attack- thin.

If this amp only had the crunch mode, I'd have paid the same amount. This channel is hard to describe, but it gets and incredible Texas blues tone- very rich with harmonics- a little tight at the recto/power setting I had selected at the time, but very nice tone. Excellent in humbucker or split modes- not muddy at all.

The lead channel was the real initial disappointment, but after rerouting things, it's very impressive- think saturated, but not overly compressed if that makes any sense. Tons of clarity and great harmonics. I wanted to say earlier that even in clean modes, the amp breaks up into sweet harmonic overtones as the notes ring out.

Anyway, this channel sounds great with the tube rectifiers and doesn't turn into mush even in spongy/tube recto mode at volume. What happens is the feel changes into a more syrupy/chewy feel and get's *slightly* less defined and a bit fatter/ more dynamic. Our music demands tightness and clarity and it still delivers in this mode- I haven't played this channel on 50w by the way, so I can't comment to that end.

Kick on the EQ with the 200/400 bumped up slightly and this sucker get fat quickly. It can easily hang with a recto with a bit of EQ in the loop. It sounds huge- and it's not too noisy with modest gain levels.

As far as the tone controls go, yes, the treble and presence seem to have the most effect on the overall tone of the amp. I can see why people would complain it's bright, but having tweaked it mildly, it's easily overcome and can hang with any other amp in the Mesa line. It should go without saying that the amp warms up considerabley at stage volumes- and that's where this thing shines, sweet mercy. I'd consider ignoring complaints of brightness due to bedroom volumes, poor speaker matching, or poor effect placement. I'm telling you- I'm playing a bright *** SG and it sounds amazing.

Another thing to consider is this- people have forgotten the art and science of good lead tone. People are now growing up hearing boosted and studio processed rectos stepping all over the bass player's slice of the frequency pie. You can't go in with that mindset and hold this amp against that measure.

Personally, I've never found an inherently bass heavy amp that could satisfy my ear for my own personal lead tone. I like a brighter, more midrangy tone for this, as I like to cut through the mix on my own by occupying my own part of the frequency band. While this amp may seem purpose built as a lead amp, it can certainly handle rythym tones as well as any DR or DC series amp can. It's a great amp in my honest opinion.

I've been toying with the idea of picking one of these up. I'll be on the road tomorrow and might go a little bit out of my way to try one. Any advice?

There is a video in this article about halfway down
http://www.guitarworld.com/article/mesa_boogie_stiletto_ace_1x12_combo

The tone in this vid to me is nothing short of incredible. You can really here the EL34 tone in this vid.

If I buy a Stilletto, it is this tone and the 80's Lynch type tone (along with usable cleans and Mesa quality) that I am buying it for.

fdesalvo said:
I have no idea how Mesa managed to get such a sparkling, chimey, and dynamic clean tone from these EL34s; it's stunning. I've owned several Fenders and this thing actually hangs. My humbuckers actually sound gorgeous when split through this amp. I can cop excellent blues tones with this channel- sort of a Voxy/Fendery blend to my ears. I don't find tight clean to be useable- too flat and midrangey through my rig; too immediate in response to pick attack- thin.
I have a stage I not a II but., I have to say that the clean on my amp has the best tone and feel of any mesa clean Ive ever played. To me, the clean was the hardest to dial in, and Im still tweakin. I have some goofy stuff goin on with the knobbys. It looks funny but it sounds great. Its also very touch sensitve. Its awesome.

KH Guitar Freak said:
What cab are you using btw???

It's a Fender MH412ST 4x12 with G12K-100s. I bought it to swap the speakers into my 1960A and left it be after seeing how much better of a cab it was. The cost of these speakers if bought separately would be more exp than what these cabs go for used. Excellent build quality above that of the marshall. Has flight case armor built around it.

My fingers are cramping and I'm happy as ever with this amp.. I spent the last 5 hours jamming with my friends over different styles of music from piano ballads, blues, modern rock, to classic rock/stadium rock, and etc...this Deuce can handle it all unbelievabley well. This is the most powerful/muscular/beautiful sounding amp I've owned in my entire life as a musician and I can't get enough.

The loop is so transparent that I actually had to edit my delays for less repeats, because I can hear them all so clearly. Even when using flange on the lead channel, it's great. the effect doesn't overtake the tone of the guitar- just beautiful.

I'm still very impressed by the clean tones of this amp. With the different pickup configs on my SG-GT, I can get just about any tone, and for once, I can can get excellent sounds by turning my volumes down for cleaner tones on the lead channel.

I keep the gain at 1:00 and it's crushingly fat and clear. The high notes sing and sustain like crazy. Its also surprisingly quiet. You can totally cop the tones from Journey's greatest hits and venture into modern metal with this amp unboosted. I've left the EQ in the loop for the hell of it, but its not even necessary. At louder volumes, the tone evens out and thickens up while becoming more gainy and cutting, if that makes any sense. It's like the good old marshalls that tighten up as you crank them- except this happens much earlier on and it gets better from there! If you don't have the ability to open this amp up a bit, then you haven't heard what this thing can do.

Usually when I reach this amount of hours on a new amp, I've found things that make me feel unsatisfied and want to continue my search for something better. The opposite has happened with this amp. One rehearsal was all it took to dial it in and it just keeps getting better and more impressive. It's inspired me to play at a new level for sure. Music is back to being inspirational again!

I've left the EQ in the loop for the hell of it, but its not even necessary

This is truly a Mesa that doesn't *need* the EQ....

I also feel that the Stiletto is the most dynamicof any Mesa I have played- this weekend I re-dialed in the clean channel to crunch mode- gain an honest 10:30 or so, and by simply splitting the coils goes from crunch to clean....and you need a little volume to appreciate it.
I think all guitarists are looking for the next best thing, but this stiletto is pretty nice.....

fdesalvo said:
My fingers are cramping and I'm happy as ever with this amp.. I spent the last 5 hours jamming with my friends over different styles of music from piano ballads, blues, modern rock, to classic rock/stadium rock, and etc...this Deuce can handle it all unbelievabley well. This is the most powerful/muscular/beautiful sounding amp I've owned in my entire life as a musician and I can't get enough.

The loop is so transparent that I actually had to edit my delays for less repeats, because I can hear them all so clearly. Even when using flange on the lead channel, it's great. the effect doesn't overtake the tone of the guitar- just beautiful.

I'm still very impressed by the clean tones of this amp. With the different pickup configs on my SG-GT, I can get just about any tone, and for once, I can can get excellent sounds by turning my volumes down for cleaner tones on the lead channel.

I keep the gain at 1:00 and it's crushingly fat and clear. The high notes sing and sustain like crazy. Its also surprisingly quiet. You can totally cop the tones from Journey's greatest hits and venture into modern metal with this amp unboosted. I've left the EQ in the loop for the hell of it, but its not even necessary. At louder volumes, the tone evens out and thickens up while becoming more gainy and cutting, if that makes any sense. It's like the good old marshalls that tighten up as you crank them- except this happens much earlier on and it gets better from there! If you don't have the ability to open this amp up a bit, then you haven't heard what this thing can do.

Usually when I reach this amount of hours on a new amp, I've found things that make me feel unsatisfied and want to continue my search for something better. The opposite has happened with this amp. One rehearsal was all it took to dial it in and it just keeps getting better and more impressive. It's inspired me to play at a new level for sure. Music is back to being inspirational again!

Super glad to hear she's in good hands and you're enjoying it 8)

fdesalvo said:
Another thing to consider is this- people have forgotten the art and science of good lead tone. People are now growing up hearing boosted and studio processed rectos stepping all over the bass player's slice of the frequency pie. You can't go in with that mindset and hold this amp against that measure.

Personally, I've never found an inherently bass heavy amp that could satisfy my ear for my own personal lead tone. I like a brighter, more midrangy tone for this, as I like to cut through the mix on my own by occupying my own part of the frequency band. While this amp may seem purpose built as a lead amp, it can certainly handle rythym tones as well as any DR or DC series amp can. It's a great amp in my honest opinion.

Exactly!!!!

8)

I've had my Deuce since September of last year and was a little concerned that this amp wasn't pulling its weight. I've been running it through a 1x12 powered by an EV12L, and I was pretty satisfied with it. But lately I felt something was missing, and I started suspecting the speaker. Well, I just got to bring the head to a studio and plugged it into a Marshall 4x12. I now know exactly what this amp needs. The sound was so effortless and beefy, not as thin as the 1x12 (obviously). I just didn't realize how big a difference it was going to make. I actually had to turn the gain down a little and was able to crank the bass a bit without turning to mud. This is THE amp, I tell you.

What were the speakers in the Marshall? I think the Deuce would love 2 212s or a nice 412- but I dont want to lug around a 412...
I am thinking about an Avatar traditional 212 with either 2 V30's or a V30 and omething else- any opinions on a speaker companion?

That's the question. I'm going back to the studio in a week, I'm going to find out. I've been pondering a V30/C90 combo in my 2x12, but I may change my mind after another round with that cab.

Latest posts

Back