stiletto ace VS single recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benlink

Reaction score
so..I'm hesitating between getting the stiletto ace combo 1x12(head and cab will be too expensive) or a single rectifier with a 2x12...the price is nearly the same....perhaps e hundred more euros for the half stack...
actually I play mainly metal such as metallica(all periods, from kill'em all to st anger) and metal like slayer, hatebreed....as these bands have or continue to use marshall amps...I think the stiletto ace could fit...but I also like old school stuff such as lynnrd skynnrd acdc etc....
so....tell me if I'm wrong but from what I read and heard:
-single rectos: more modern, versatile from rock to metal
-stiletto ace: more old school, a little bit less gainy than the recto but enough for heavy metal tones(master of puppets, black album etc...)
so can the stiletto do metallica(all periods) without any boost or pedal?
according to what I said , what would you advise me to take?
(I have a ltd EC400 with emg 81 and 60)

Im going to say that if you are looking for newer Metalica go with the Recto with 6L6's but if old school stuff is your gig then hit the Stiletto up. Also, I think you might like the Recto with EL34's for a nice variation between all of your styles plus more Gain and a bigger sound. :wink:

I agree with Micah and MesaENGR. The recto's will cover all hard rock/metal territory, especially since you have the option to swap out the 6L6's with EL34's if you wish.

I play a lot of hard rock and metal. When I was looking to buy another Mesa head (I already had a Dual Rectifier) I tried out the Stiletto but couldn't get into it. I wanted to love it, but couldn't. It's still a great amp though, just not my cup of tea. Like MesaENGR, I like my 6L6's. :D

If you have the option, I would try to play both. If you can't, I would try to find some clips online. I know there are plenty under the "rigs and tones" section of this board.

Good luck with your purchase.

thanks guys.......
so you still confirm that a stiletto even naked(without any pedal) can do metal.....of course early metal but ok......
the thing is I found some stiletto clips....but I've heard the seriesII and especially the Ace were really different....in what way?more agressive?more recto-ish?

so.....in fact the stiletto is better than the recto for everything except the recto modern high gain mode that it cannot do.....
so...its has a lot more gain than a F50 for example doesn'it?(I'm talking without the contour mode...)
and in order to do metal...it can do it without any pedal...I mean the boost doesn't need to be activated does it?(I'm talking of the stiletto?
and finally...how heavy is the combo ace 1x12?

I was in the studio last weekend. I played all my electric parts on our demo through a single recto with a marshall 2x12 cab. When its all mixed and stuff I will post clips so you can hear it in a band setting. Should be Thursday or Friday. We play pretty heavy rock so it might paint a good picture of what you are looking for. Maybe if someone has some Ace clips with a band roaring away behind them....maybe we can help this guy out and give him the full spectrum of what to expect from both amps. Besides...its always fun to share clips. Jeez you know I don't think I have EVER shared any clips on this forum. Maiden voyage THIS week. ;)

Hum

thanks a lot. 8)
I mean...you guys on this forum are really cool

I'd love to hear some Stiletto Ace clips myself, been itching to go break one in! 8)

just a question about the stiletto ace combo 1x12?
how heavy is it?
and if I take the head, what cab do you advise me to take? tthe recto standard 2x12?

I'm really thinking of getting a stiletto and if needed to put 6CA7 tubes in it in order to have a mix of 6L6 sound and EL34.....
a stiletto with these tubes could surely be the ultimate amp:
great old school clean
great crunch
great distortion still british but with the mesa signature and the low end of the tubes....
ohhh I think really I got it...

www.myspace.com/humbility The song Hands Down I think is a good recording of a recto. Bad Seed is tuned in open C so yet another taste. Have a listen....and tell me what you think.
Hum

nice modern rock tone...bad seed...makes me think of creed style....bt perhaps better 8)
good job

thnx man. myspace KILLS the quality of tunes though. If anyone knows a better place for hosting mp3's I'll post the demo for you all to hear PROPERLY. ;)

Hum

Back