Steve Vai - For the Love of God (cover)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwordsman13

Reaction score
Yo, I recorded this last night and figured I'd post it. Any comments would be appreciated. I recorded it in one take and went back over the solo and over dubbed parts of it to make it sound more delayed. unfortunately I just got rid of my wah pedal, so no wah in this version.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=770216

Amp?

Sounds pretty good but it's a tad washed out in parts. How did you record it? You might want to alter your mic placement to get a sharper capture.

Definitely not an easy song to play!

hey, I actually just went direct in to a boss mulitrack, but I think the washed out sound might be that, cuz I agree it does sound a bit flat in some parts. It's like not enough sizzle like on the original recording, could be my pick ups too, but most likely just because its digital. Thanks though. 8)

I like the tone. Only criticism of the clip is after you do the first dive bomb, you are hitting wrong notes left and right. Work on that a little and you'll be right on.

Hey, thanks for the comment, but as far as wrong notes, I learned this our of the "official" book, so I was just playing how the book said, so I don't know, I still think it sounds pretty good as far as being in the same key haha.

That tone is really close, nice job. After the first dive bomb it sounds like your strings went slighty out of tune, then got worse as the song went on. What kind of guitar/trem is it?

Heh, yeah I just changed the stings on it its an edge pro on an ibanez rg. Any tips on the keeping its in tune-ness? thanks :p

Fresh strings sound the best but they always go out of tune!!! HAHA, I have 5 springs in all my trems, gives them more stability and brings them back to pitch better after crazy whammy fun. Springs also stretch over time, so don't over look replacing trem springs as normal upkeep, it's the thing I see happen most often when doing work on other people's guitars. I keep the back plate off my trem or cut holes in the plate so I can make adjustments to the trem without extra hassle.

cool man, yeah i have 4 and three of them have been in there since 2006. the gauge of strings i use is 9-52 do you recommend 5 springs?

Hey, I just used a Roland multi track recorder on the metal lead setting and turned the delay and reverb up a little bit. Its the BR-1600.

OverDriven said:
Only criticism of the clip is after you do the first dive bomb, you are hitting wrong notes left and right. Work on that a little and you'll be right on.

Sounds like he was improvising, not missing notes.

Also, the tone is good but a little too wet. Pull back on the reverb and you're good.

yeah, I was improvising through the whole song especially the end and thanks, I'll cut back on the verb and stuff.

backwordsman13 said:
yeah, I was improvising through the whole song especially the end and thanks, I'll cut back on the verb and stuff.

Sorry if you said it before...but were did you get the background music? I'd too much like to have!

Latest posts

Back