Stereo effects help with one cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R3dlined

Reaction score
Hi all,

First off my gear is a JPMM6, recto 4x12, Triaxis, 2:90, gmajor. I know that some people like john petrucci have a dry cab and a wet cab. Can I do this even half well with one cab? (we are all miced at shows and practice anyway). I am just concerned that the four speakers sharing the same air in the cab might make this sound weird but I would like to have a very small offset of delay to the other side to add some body to my tone and for leads mix in a ping pong type of delay as well.

Anyone every try to do this with one cab?

I really don't understood.
You want your cab splitted with efx in one side and the other side with no efx,Is that it ?

I haven't done this with a 4x12, but have tried it with an open back 2x12. With the cab vertical it didn't really do anything for me. If I sat the cab horizontally, I was able to get a decent stereo spread, and I'm sure having the cab open back helped. The trade-off was way too much bass for me.

Ideally, I've found you get the best stereo spread if you have two separate cabs, and keep t hem at least a foot or so apart, preferably more like two feet (or if you really want to experience true stereo sweetness put one cab stage left and the other stage right). I do this almost all the time now, but I'm only using two separate 1x12 speakers.

The other propblem with running stereo through one cab is that if you do end up throwing mics on it, you don't get enough real separation to yield a decent stereo mix foh.

Latest posts

Back