Stage I Duece,sounds bad at higher volumes.New preamp tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midrangegood

Reaction score
So being newly single and home alone this afternoon,I cranked the volume on my Duece for the first time and could not escape this "ratty"sort of tone.Almost like a shredded speaker.I checked out my cab,as its DIY,for stray vibrations,or rattles.Its not the cab.Then as I strummed my low strings I stuck my ear behind the amp and could hear a buzzing rattling sound that sounded like it was coming from the tubes.I put a brand new set of Ruby EL-34's in it less than 2 months ago.But the pre amp tubes are original.Is it the tubes for sure or do I need to spend more time tweaking at higher volumes?My cab is a 2X12 loaded with an eminence governer and manowar,its built with 3/4 birch and dimensions taken from the Avatar Bluesbreaker style cab.

Midrangegood said:
So being newly single and home alone this afternoon,I cranked the volume on my Duece for the first time and could not escape this "ratty"sort of tone.Almost like a shredded speaker.I checked out my cab,as its DIY,for stray vibrations,or rattles.Its not the cab.Then as I strummed my low strings I stuck my ear behind the amp and could hear a buzzing rattling sound that sounded like it was coming from the tubes.I put a brand new set of Ruby EL-34's in it less than 2 months ago.But the pre amp tubes are original.Is it the tubes for sure or do I need to spend more time tweaking at higher volumes?My cab is a 2X12 loaded with an eminence governer and manowar,its built with 3/4 birch and dimensions taken from the Avatar Bluesbreaker style cab.

Tweaking is always a good thing . Discover new territory . I usually back the treble pretty far back on both channels .

My controls for EQ are much different at higher volumes than lower.

It sounded like old power tubes at first but you said they were new so that's not the issue.

I had the same issue with my Stiletto that I bought used last month. Sounded killer in the store. Got it to stage volume, and heard a funny metalic high rattle noise. This was the reason the guy who owned it traded it in and lost his shirt. It was the preamp tube closest to the input. I think they call it V1. Put a new tube in and the noise is gone. Try changing that tube. This preamp tube seems to have the most effect on the amps tone. The amp now sounds the balls.

BMarchant

Back