Stage 2 Stiletto vs. Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jak0lantern01

Reaction score
So how would you all compare the two in terms of sound? I have a single rec right now, but I think I'm looking to upgrade. The Stiletto sounds simpler than the Mark, but people seem to love the Mark series. I know, I'll have to try them out, but I was also looking for opinions since a test drive in the store doesn't always translate to the true sound of an amp.

Hehe, I'm a good person to respond to this one :D

For as different as they sound sonically the Mark and Series II Stilettos have a ton in common; most importantly in the 'feel' of the amp. They both ooze with tone and are very much reliant on your picking technique. What I mean by that is, if you play hard, the amp will play harder, if you play softer the amp will respond in kind.

As I said sonically they're quite far apart in their stock setup because it's a classic EL34 versus 6L6 type tone comparison. The cleans are fantastic on the Stiletto for being an EL34 amp but the Mark has better cleans. The Lead channel on the Mark and the fluid drive on the Stiletto are very similar as far as feel as well, both are drenched in harmonics and make playing feel like butter.. other than that the similarities end there. Stiletto is a straight forward no bullshit rock machine that you 'set and forget' in my opinion and the Mark IV is a tweaker's paradise with infinite options.

Hmmmm......Good reply, but I feel like I need more info. What I was thinking of doing with either amp was to install KT77's into a Stiletto or the 6L6/EL34 combo into a Mark instead of doing straight EL34 or 6L6 into either amp. I do need a little low end, my stlyes are broad, from GnR and/or classic rock to some of the newer stuff (I'll use Creed as an example, even though we don't go there).

Jak0lantern01 said:
Hmmmm......Good reply, but I feel like I need more info. What I was thinking of doing with either amp was to install KT77's into a Stiletto or the 6L6/EL34 combo into a Mark instead of doing straight EL34 or 6L6 into either amp. I do need a little low end, my stlyes are broad, from GnR and/or classic rock to some of the newer stuff (I'll use Creed as an example, even though we don't go there).

Honestly before you go changing anything around I'd get to know the amp with the stock setup. Part of the beauty of those two amps in my opinion was that you didn't have to really do anything but plug your guitar into them and they're perfect. When I had a Dual Rec I was never happy with my tone one day and thrilled the next, I tried tons of tubes, etc.

The Mark IV w/ EL34s and 6L6s might be the best of both worlds for you as far as sonic options because you can do pure EL34's or a mix of 6L6's and EL34's. The Mark puts out a ton of bass already if you want it to and so does the Stiletto with the right settings. I think you'll find the EQ a LOT more usable with both amps compared to your Rectifier, especially because on the Mark you have the graphical EQ which you can set for your low end fix and then stomp off it and have a different sound without doing any tweaking at all.

Platypus said:
Jak0lantern01 said:

Honestly before you go changing anything around I'd get to know the amp with the stock setup. Part of the beauty of those two amps in my opinion was that you didn't have to really do anything but plug your guitar into them and they're perfect. When I had a Dual Rec I was never happy with my tone one day and thrilled the next, I tried tons of tubes, etc.

The Mark IV w/ EL34s and 6L6s might be the best of both worlds for you as far as sonic options because you can do pure EL34's or a mix of 6L6's and EL34's. The Mark puts out a ton of bass already if you want it to and so does the Stiletto with the right settings. I think you'll find the EQ a LOT more usable with both amps compared to your Rectifier, especially because on the Mark you have the graphical EQ which you can set for your low end fix and then stomp off it and have a different sound without doing any tweaking at all.

Im with you on that Plat . I use stock mesa tubes . One thing to remember, all the R&D that went into these amps was done with stock Mesa tubes .

Latest posts

Back