Stacking 2X12 cabs ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PK

Reaction score
I saw a picture of a rig with 2X12 caninets stacked that looked kinda cool. Is there any sonic or tonal reason why this might be done, or do any of the faithfull here swear by it? I'll be driving with a 50w single rectifier. Is the rectifier 4X12 standard cab my best optiopn? I want something comparible to a half stack, but I've also seen Mesa cabs with w smaller speakers surrounding a much larger middle speaker. What's the scoop with these cool looking cabs? I'm open to all suggestions as I have some time until I dump my Marshall. Thanks in advance :)

PK

I asked this question a long time ago and got no answer. Since then, I've had the opportunity to try many different cabs and own a 2x12 (for around the house) and a 4x12 slant (for an auditorium I have access to)

MY hypothesis is this, 2 2x12's are going to be tighter and more focused than a 4x12 rectifier cab due to less airspace to push the sound. If your looking to buy new though, I would really try to test this option first before making a decision. 2 2x12's new will set you back around $1200 and a 4x12 around $950.

Will definitely be easier on the back to move 2 2x12's as opposed to a 4x12, not necessarily on the ole wallet. GOod luck.

I have a 4 x12 rec cabinet and I own two of the 2 x 12 cabs. I bought the 2x12 cabs for portability. My experience is that the 4 x12 will give you a bigger sound than the two 2x12's. The 2x12's sound great and I leave my 4x12 at rehearsal so I don't have to lug it around anymore. But if I am playing a big enough venue and I'm not feeling lazy I will pull out the 4x12 without a doubt.

The 4x12 seems to have more growl/bass than running two 2x12 cabs. This is of course my lowly opinion but I have had these cabs for years and my thoughts have not wavered on this subject. The 2x12 is just so more portable and appropriate for club gigs that I use a single 2x12 or stack 2x12's 99.9% of the time.

I am in the process of trying to do what your asking about right now.....and I actually own a very nice 4X12 cab still.

There are certain things I love about the 4X12, and certain things I dont. Ive got one of those Krankenstein cabs loaded with texas heats, which is a VERY well built HEAVY cab. I very much dislike dragging this thing to the practice room and smaller shows, so I decided I should try a single 2X12 cab. I can keep the little one at home, the big one at the rehearsal space, and for smaller shows I only gotta move the 2X12.

I did not expect great things from the 2X12.....but now Im finding that I do like it, and there are lots of options. I bought a closed back "AVATAR" 2X12 with celestion V30's and I am liking these speakers more than anything with a recto head(so far). The upper mids in these cabs really help bring out certain things in the recto that usually arent there.

I liked this 2X12 enough that I started looking around at others too. There are other closed backs, ported, openbacks, different dimension cabs, speakers and everything at your disposal with 2 different cabs!

If you buy a 4X12....youve got a 4X12. Two sepearate 2X12's have more "mix and match" options(not just talking speakers here.....but ports, no ports, open/closed, different dimensions between the two cabs and everything can be changed around to tweak your sound). Two seperate 2X12's done right can cover more "tonal ground" than your basic 4X12 even with swapping around speakers.

If you are a rock guy, you will probaly like the two 2x12's, but honestly i am not a big fan of them, They have less bottem end and very middy, even with 75 watt celestions which have a scooped feel it was too middy for me. All in all I will be selling my vertical 2x12 as I much prefer my tradtional (stiletto) cab.

As to mixing different speakers in 2x12's, well you can do that with a regular mesa 4x12 too, 90% of there 4x12 cabs are stereo so you can even seperate.

Now on to 4x12's, there are two with mesa, the oversized, and the traditional which is now known as the stiletto cabinet.

The differences in the cab are big, the oversized recto cab has a deep bottem end, but some people say it is to flubby, this cab also has a little less midrange.

The traditional/stiletto cab is a normal size 4x12, this cab has more midrange and a tighter bottem end. For my style of music which is a hard rock/screamo/pop punk i much prefer the tighter traditional.

PK said:
I saw a picture of a rig with 2X12 caninets stacked that looked kinda cool. Is there any sonic or tonal reason why this might be done, or do any of the faithfull here swear by it? I'll be driving with a 50w single rectifier. Is the rectifier 4X12 standard cab my best optiopn? I want something comparible to a half stack, but I've also seen Mesa cabs with w smaller speakers surrounding a much larger middle speaker. What's the scoop with these cool looking cabs? I'm open to all suggestions as I have some time until I dump my Marshall. Thanks in advance :)

PK

If the speaker height of the top 2x12 is higher than the top speakers in the 4x12 then you're ears (or anyone in front of the cabinet) are going to get blasted. Beam Blockers are a fix for some?

I've been playing through stacked 1x12 3/4 back cabinets lately and while they are great for low volume, when you want to crank up the amp, watch out! Stupid loud! I'm finding I'll probably prefer the tone and height of a *straight* 4x12. Slanted 4x12s can blast you too when you walk over to them. Will use a small 2x12 combo size cabinet when I need less volume.

I'm about to go to a two 2x12 stack rig. I finally found my perfect tone: American Series Tele with SCN pickups --> Tremoverb --> 2x12 Recto cab.

I'm going to add a second 2x12 Recto cab for two reasons: 1) so the sound will project as much toward my ears as it does my ankles, and 2) I'll be honest... I like the look of a 4x12 much better than a 2x12. It just kind of looks weenie on stage.

IMO the sound of a 4x12 is bigger, but at the expense of losing focus. A 2x12 is tighter, but just not quite as big sounding. I'm hoping a stack of 2x12s will give me a slightly bigger sound and maintain focus.

And IMO again, I'm not personally a fan of mixing and matching speakers.

But I won't lie... it's mostly for looks :D

I have the Roadster 1x12 and 2x12 cabs (same as Stiletto cabs without the white piping). I keep one at home and one at rehearsal and just move my amp head back and forth. For gigs, I stack them both and I like the sound of having the 2x12 directly in contact with the floor for some added girth (no wheels). Do not underestimate the "loud" capability of the 1x12's. Stacking 2 gives you something high enough off the ground where you can hear it fine and tweak your knobs without bending over. It's not blowing in your ears nor just blowing past your ankles. Flexibility is great. Don't have to rupture a disc carrying it and this weekend was a prime example - the stage was so small where I was I put the 2x12 and head on top of the PA mixing cabinet - absolutely no room for a 4x12 or even 2 2x12's.

I used my 2x12 stack for the first time last night. I must say... I love it!

I'm using a Tele with SCN pickups -> Tremoverb -> (2) Recto 2x12 cabs with stock V30s.

I honestly don't notice much difference in sound using one cab vs. two. I mostly just like the way it looks 8) I used to turn my 2x12 on its side so I could actually hear it. I can hear myself better and my rig looks awesome! And I think it's easier to haul around 2x12s.

I do prefer the tone of a 2x12 to a 4x12... I think it's tighter and just fits better in the mix... especially with a Recto - I much prefer the bass response of the smaller cab. But that's just me... I think the Recto 2x12 is the ultimate cab.

Back