Spent 2 hours yesterday comparing EL34's and 6L6's in my amp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
A few months back, I didn't know the answer to this question and there may be a few others out there that don't know the difference... So here's what I found out.

As many of you know, you can run your boogies with 6L6's or EL34's. I never new the difference in the sound and actually thought it was a bunch of bologna that there could be a big difference in tone ....until this past Sunday! This was just on the Distortion side.......

I've got a 1994 Tremoverb combo that has EL34's in it running at 50 wts and it sounds very similar to my 1995 Tremoverb head that has 6L6's in it running at 100wts.

* So, I started out by playing with my most common settings: (Vintage: Bass noon - Mids 10.30 - Treb - 11:00 - Pres 11:00 - Gain 3:00) on my combo with the EL34's and it was sounding pretty good, then I powered down, and swapped the tubes for some 6L6's and turned it back on. WOW!!!! It was like I took the bass knob and turned it up all the way, slid the mid frequency down (not the actual knob, but the frequency at which the mids run at), and added a touch more presence (which added sizzel). It was thumping a lot harder, but it lost a bit of that higher mid frequency and the low end was deeper, but a bit looser too.

* I put the EL34's back in to see what the difference was and my above findings were supported with the EL34's giving a higher mid frequency, less but tighter low end, the treble was a bit higher and it wasn't quite as "Sizzely".

I swapped out several times to just hear the difference and I realized that I personally like the sound of the 6L6's better, but for my band the EL34's seem to fit better. My band does 80s, 90s and modern rock - no real hard stuff though, more along the lines of: Bon Jovi, Poison, Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Brian Adams, Maroon 5, Foo Fighters, ect....

I think that if I ever start playing in a harder band or played more country or clean stuff, I'd probably switch to the 6L6's for a warmer - darker sound (more Fender-ish).. Or if I ever get tired of my tone, I'll try swapping tubes for a while and see if that helps me out.

Hope this help someone! :wink:

Really liked your report! It's very interesting...we do need people like you! :wink:

Thanks.

I've been messing around for a few days trying to "vintage" my tone more.....so far it's turned into a really punked out sounding Fender. I've been thinking about buying a set of EL34s just to experiment....I might do so.

It can be difficult to hear the diference just swapping back and forth. The best way to do it is record using both tubes (If you have recording capabilities). You will notice the differences more that way when you can sit back and play the recordings.

brianf

No but a tried a couple of tubes of Colgate......got a real mushy sound...although my cleans really sparkled and the amp had a nice minty smell... :lol:

Grandor said:
Has anyone tried KT88's in their Recto as per Bob from EuroTubes' idea?

I've been a Marshall EL34/84 guy forever and recently got an F-50 with 6L6's.

When playing with the band, the 6L6's sound fater and fuller (to me) while when I play alone or record, the EL34's sound best. They lose something when competing with the band though....while the 6L6's seem to sound even better with other instruments playing.

Just my 2 cents.

-HH 8)

I've had EL-34's in my DR since a few months after I bought it. I use them in conjunction with a pair of THD Yellowjackets (EL-84's). I have to say that after an afternoon of experimentation with the different tube combinations, I'm a believer in the 34/84 combination. The end result for me is what I would call "Vintage agression". Very heavy, but with a vintagy-presency tone that is exactly what I've been looking for.

TheRazMeister said:
No but a tried a couple of tubes of Colgate......got a real mushy sound...although my cleans really sparkled and the amp had a nice minty smell... :lol:
Kinda like Crest myself. :lol:

tele_jas said:
with the EL34's and it was sounding pretty good, then I powered down, and swapped the tubes for some 6L6's and turned it back on. WOW!!!! It was like I took the bass knob and turned it up all the way, slid the mid frequency down (not the actual knob, but the frequency at which the mids run at), and added a touch more presence (which added sizzel). It was thumping a lot harder, but it lost a bit of that higher mid frequency and the low end was deeper, but a bit looser too
Yes, that basically sums it up between EL34s and 6L6s.

But from what I read when MESA design the Stiletto, most of their amps with bias switch between 6L6s and EL34s circuitry was design around 6L6s.

Stiletto was their first "dedicated" EL34 amp. Just a thought.

I am definitely an EL34 guy.

The day I got my single rec I bought a couple ELs intending to try them out and compare with 6L6s. After A/Bing them and also recording the process, with different levels of gain and through the various channels of the amp then auditing the results, I like the ELs best. Which is good because the other guitarist in the band uses the same amp with 6L6s and we complement each others' tone quite nicely.

I thought the ELs sounded just like the "BEST" tone I hear in my head - the grail of tone.

Yesterday I swapped em out again just to confirm and YES YES YES definitely it is true, for me anyway.

Absolutely the 6L6s sound very good don't get me wrong!!! But, they have what I can best describe as a "squashed" quality to them that doesn't sit well with me. I like the ELs for nicer sounding mids I guess is the best way to put it.

Anyone with a rec who hasn't capitalized on the flexibility of being able to choose between 6L6 and EL34 is really missing out and should give it a try at least. The beauty is you can change your tone very dramatically in 30 seconds or less, simple as swapping tubes and changing the bias setting!

I love my single rec!!! :D

screamingdaisy said:
Thanks.

I've been messing around for a few days trying to "vintage" my tone more.....so far it's turned into a really punked out sounding Fender. I've been thinking about buying a set of EL34s just to experiment....I might do so.

Done the experiment.

Well, regardless of tube type it still sounds like a Rectifier....that's for sure.

When I switched to the EL34s I found it had more of a midrange "bark" to it, and a compressed bottom end. It lost much of it's thump and replaced it with some crunch.

When I stuck the 6L6s back in I found the tone was more open and articulate.....less compressed overall. I gained the thump back and could push the gain a little higher without loosing the tightness in the rhythm.

Overall, I liked both roughly equal. They each tube type kinda plays into the others weaknesses. I can see why so many bands prefer to have one guitarist on EL34s and the other on 6L6s.

Myself, if I was a lead guitarist I'd go for the EL34s, and if I was a rhythm guitarist I'd go for the 6L6s.

Latest posts

Back