Speakers.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Current setup;

MkIII SimulClass
1x12 combo w/ EVM 12L
and
Recto Std 4x12

I'm finding that the V30s in the 4x12 are adding alot of warmth....too much warmth. When run into just the 4x12 the sound isn't muddy, but it lacks alot of clairity. When I run both the cab and the combo it adds alot of detail to the top end.

Ideally I'd be able to get one of those old Boogie cabs with the EVs and whatever else was in them, but until I come across one I'm thinking I might swap two speakers out of my 4x12, so I'm looking for a clear sounding speaker that'll add that top end detail.

DON'T SUGGEST THE NEW EVM 12Ls, I'm not interested in carrying a 300lb cab.

Is the Mesa 4X12 a slant with rear mounted Celestions?

I have a Mesa Traditional slant 4FB with rear mounted V-30's and it is very warm, so warm it seems muddy. My trick is to run 1 4X12 Mesa and 1 front loaded Soldano. You would not beleive how much tighter and brighter a front loaded 4X12 is. For ambience, I sometime add the 1X12 ported Mesa with the EV-12L. It usually gets lost in the mix or adds a bit more bottom end. The more speakers you add, the higher I find I have to run my master. I run a MK III Green Stripe to the Soldano 4X12 and I run a 1992 DR to the Mesa 4X12 and a Marshall Jubilee straight with 75 watters. I split the signal with a TC SCF panned full left and full right with 0 intensity and it give the most surreal stereo separation.

I want to add a Mesa straigh Recto Standard to the fleet. I played my IIC+ head through it at the local GC and it was insane. A group of 20 people started to gather around. I felt like a wanker. Every one asked what amp it was. The amp and the cabinet got along very well.

I have never been the biggest fan of the MK III, but this Green Stipe is the first I have every played. It is an incredible amp. I have only had the opportunity to play black dots, red stripes and blue stripes and always felt something was lacking. I am in absolute heaven with this MK III.

Cool. The 4x12 is rear mounted.

What touched this off is that I when I ran my MkIII full out the other night it was the first time in a long time that I ran it that way. For some reason I decided to run it just into the 4x12, but it was way too bassy. It could've been my EQing, but I was running the bass at just below 2 with the G-EQ off. I ended up plugging the combo speaker as well and it sounded great like that. That said, I think it would sound a little better with some more cut in the 4x12.

I seem to remember reading an interview where Hetfield said he ran V30 loaded Recto Traditions for warmth, and some Marshall cabs for clarity. That said, I'm not carrying a pair of 4x12s to gig.

Nice setup though. I'm looking at getting at adding a Roadster 2x12 so I can run the pair in stereo chorus with a mix of tones.

yes, that hetfield comment is true. Even though he swears he "always" used v30s in his marshall cabs, i don't believe that. why would you use v30s in a marshall cab for "clarity" if you already have mesa cabs with v30s for warmth? the construction can not be that drastic to account for, so i feel he does have some 75's in some of his cabs.

and it's good to hear the c+ thru std cab comment, as i have the std cab. =)

not to steal the thread too much, but has anyone here ever tried running an Xpattern or similar 4x12 with V30s and 75s at once. I'm assuming this would help brighten the recto's dark, somewhat muddy nature, but would it take away too much from its original thick nature?

I was juat totally schocked that I stole the Pertucci tone with this setup.
The separation was just like I had three tracks of audio coming at me with just enough space to add depth and clarity. I was totally impressed with the MK III and it's IIC+ like tone and I used the modern mode on the DR. Even when I had my RK Series I recision 4, it just never gave me all it had unless I used a multiple cab setup. I use the same TC setup with 2 IIC+ open combo's and the Thiele with great results. The Soldano cab added bottom end and top end. The Marshall straight added depth and a focus. The Mesa slant added smoothness. Another cool experience I had was working on a Simul 2:95. I slaved the IIC+ head into 2 cabinets and it was just brutal. I never tried slaving and was just shocked at the depth and agression. My next setup will be a RK series II, MK III, MK IIC+ and a MK IV setup with the TC SCF in the loops and switching via a High gain amp switch I should have every concievable tone at my feet. The cabinets are still open for discussion, but I would really like to add a Mesa Recto Standard straight to cover my bases. I am looking for another ported 1X12 as you guys mentioned not wanting to carry 2 4X12's. i can barely handle a combo or the RK head. My favorite stand alone combo is the MK IV 1X12 EV with the ported Thiele 1X12. It's a pack and go small setup. I love the IIC+, but IMO, it really reached its potential through a good 4X12 and especially a rear mount and front mount cabinet. For now i am digging the DR/MK III setup. It is also a very sweet sounding setup when switching the DR to Vintage mode. Those old DR's really rip out a smooth, yet agressive tone that compliments the MK III. All in all, I am extremely impressed with the MK III with the Soldano cabinet by itself.
I have never thought very highly of the MK III, but i think I have one with an extra shot of Mojo. It's Jack the Ripper. I have also been using a Boss NS-2 after the SFC signal and it is a very quiet system.

From the ones that I have opened they (Marshalls) are typically rear loaded.

The X-pattern makes for a nice sounding cabinet. I have heard the 75's and V30s. It sounds great. I have one cab filled with each but I just assume plug in both cabs than x-pattern them and lose versatility. I can still play the 75's or the V30s by themselves. I also have a cab with 65's and yet another with greenbacks. It is nice to have separate cabs with different speakers in them if you can afford to have them or have enough room to keep them. When not in use I just stack them up against a wall. My office looks pretty cool with the wall of sound sitting there.

Back