Speaker swaps in a recto std. tell me your tales.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
Im interested in hearing the results of your speakers swaps in a recto std 412 cab if you have any. I know someone here loaded their with delta pros. Any stories?

I have only tried a few different speakers besides the Mesa Vintage 30's with my FJA Rectifier:

- Peavey Sheffield EVH's
- Celestion G12T-75's (Marshall 4x12)
- WGS HM75
- Celestion Seventy 80

Celestion Seventy 80 Clip:
http://goo.gl/DIgNF

WGS HM75 Clip:
http://goo.gl/XHhXO

I have settled on the Marshall 4x12 for now. A bit more broken up than the V30's and not as much midrange 'honk', ya know? I hope to try greenbacks soon though.

Ive been thinkin about doin a swap just to try something different. Im lookin at some scumbacks (H55's) but theyre pretty $$. Also some weber 1265s and 1230s. I hear the swamp thangs are nice too.

I have also heard Swamp Thang's are nice sounding speakers.

The Vintage 30 sounds good, but I think what I am looking for is something a little different.

So I will start trying speakers and seeing what happens.

Yeah ive been a V30 guy forever. Just looking to change it up a bit. I need a spark.

I guess Ill just have to go in a shopping spree :D

i acquired a recto cab about two months ago and removed two of the vintage 30s in favor of EVM 12Ls. I had heard a couple people's experiences on various forums and had the speakers. I am, so far, very happy with how it's working out.

You should look into WGS speakers. I bought a pair of retro 30's, they sound A LOT better than celestions.

The retro 30 is a V30 clone with a deeper and tighter bottom end. I can't believe how much better they sound than those **** V30's. Why do people buy celestions made in china for $150 each when you can get cheaper better speakers made in USA?

ElectricTurkey4369 said:
You should look into WGS speakers. I bought a pair of retro 30's, they sound A LOT better than celestions.

+100

I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I had the Retro 30. I have the HM75 now and it spanks the Celestions.

fluff191 said:
I have only tried a few different speakers besides the Mesa Vintage 30's with my FJA Rectifier:

- Peavey Sheffield EVH's
- Celestion G12T-75's (Marshall 4x12)
- WGS HM75
- Celestion Seventy 80

Celestion Seventy 80 Clip:
http://goo.gl/DIgNF

WGS HM75 Clip:
http://goo.gl/XHhXO

I have settled on the Marshall 4x12 for now. A bit more broken up than the V30's and not as much midrange 'honk', ya know? I hope to try greenbacks soon though.

Greenbacks are creamier than G12T 75s and have a really wicked CRUNCH to them. That being said, they break up easily and don't handle much bass. With a Dual Rectifier, you probably want two 4 x 12s if you are going to go with the Greenies. I think tonally, they are closest to a v30 but with much more speaker breakup. I'd say they sound kind of like a cross between a v30 and a G12T-75, but with much more breakup. Think a creamy woody tone. Definitely better with a hair less gain. They're not as raw or aggressive sounding as G12T-75s are. I always wanted a Marshall 100watt 4 x 12 but I passed on it because it just couldn't handle the recto. I settled on a Rectocab because it just worked better.

On WGS. I've said this before but it must be repeated: the Reaper 50watt version is an absolutely astounding speaker.
http://wgs4.com/content/ReaperHP

ElectricTurkey4369 said:

The retro 30 is a V30 clone with a deeper and tighter bottom end. I can't believe how much better they sound than those **** V30's. Why do people buy celestions made in china for $150 each when you can get cheaper better speakers made in USA?
Im never buying from celestion again. Not that theyre bad. Its just a **** the man thing. Id rather buy from weber or WGS.

Im running a V through a 2x12 rec. stock V30's. I don't all the base response these put out. I don't do a lot of metal stuff. But I like the high gain sounds of Floyd, high gain blues, and classic rock. Im thinking of going in the direction of Ev's or the C90 eventually but still not sure.

The question is would you guys replace both speakers or just the one? I hear a combination of a v30 and whatever else can be a real nice balance.

MesaENGR412 said:
I have V30/C90's in "x" patterns in my cabs. I really like the blended sound of the two speakers together. It works really well, and each speaker type shines where the other seems to fall a little short. I would recommend this combo.

Here is a tone example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpgVU6nk67o

-AJH

Man I wish you lived closer, I'd love to hear that in person with single coils.

Vogelsong said:

I still have a guitar with single coils in it. It's my first guitar (Cort Indonesian Strat clone). Not the best SC's ever, but, they definitely aren't active humbuckers haha. I'll try and remember to take it with me to my band's next practice (it's tuned in standard :lol: ) and shoot a little video of it with my gear. I know it's not the same as being in the room, but it'll at least give an idea of what it sounds like. Where do you live? My band is about to do a full US tour, might come close to where you are, not sure. Here's a link to the tour dates:
http://www.facebook.com/onwardtoolympas?sk=app_123966167614127

Thanks for checking out the video.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
Vogelsong said:

I still have a guitar with single coils in it. It's my first guitar (Cort Indonesian Strat clone). Not the best SC's ever, but, they definitely aren't active humbuckers haha. I'll try and remember to take it with me to my band's next practice (it's tuned in standard :lol: ) and shoot a little video of it with my gear. I know it's not the same as being in the room, but it'll at least give an idea of what it sounds like. Where do you live? My band is about to do a full US tour, might come close to where you are, not sure. Here's a link to the tour dates:

-AJH

Im in Harrsiburg, PA. If you coudl make a vid with SC's that would be cool.

Thanks

MesaENGR412 said:
Vogelsong said:

-AJH

Wow, your gonna be in Lemoyne on the 5th of may. Thats like 10 minutes from me, I'll have to check ya out.

I really like G12K-100s. They're like G12T-75s with a smoother, clearer top end and clearer mids. More on the flat side instead of the scooped (g12t-75) or boosted (v30) side.

b0nkersx said:
I really like G12K-100s. They're like G12T-75s with a smoother, clearer top end and clearer mids. More on the flat side instead of the scooped (g12t-75) or boosted (v30) side.

If Mesa offered these, I probably would have two cabs loaded with them right now. I have heard great things about this speaker, and got to play one mixed with a V30 at low volumes in a 2x12 and it sounded good. Hope to get to crank a head through a cab with this speaker in it one day to get a good idea of what it really sounds like. That being said, I am still 100% happy with my x patterns :D

-AJH

They're worth trying. They've got a really super tight bottom to them as well. Mick Thompson switched from the G12T-75s to the G12K-100s cause of their bottom end handling.

b0nkersx said:
I run a Marshall MF400 cab with 4 G12K-100's in it. It's an oversize cab so it's similar to the recto. It's very balanced and smooth but can handle insane ammounts of volume and low end. So far it's my favorite cab.
The only bad thing is it's really beamy but what 4x12 isn't?
Before I had this cab I had a no name 4x12 and a recto vertical 2x12 that I played mad scientist on with the speaker swaps.
Stock V30's = Buzzy/boxy in the 2x12 and caused immediate ear fatigue.
G12T-75 = Harsh upper end. Made everything solid state sounding.
G12T-100 = Smoother than the 75's but lacking something in the midrange. It was scooped or honky. No middle.
G12K-100 = Nice highs without the icepicks. Balanced mids that let the amps voice though without much coloration. Lows come through clear and tight, even in an oversize cab.

Latest posts

Back