Speaker Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcgdc5

Reaction score
I have a '81 Boogie MKIIB. When I ordered it new back then I immediately replaced the stock Black Shadow MS12 with a EV12L. I recently found the pristine like new MS12 safely packed away in the EV12L box.

My question is; where does this speaker fall tonality wise? I love the EV12L. In fact I hooked my Fuchs ODS up to it and REALLY like the EV. I'm wondering...without wanting to uninstall and install speakers etc what this speaker might sound like.

I also have a early '90's ((93maybe) DC-5. seriel #1532 with a Black Shadow speaker (Can't see the model number without taking the back cover off of the amp...havent had time yet) Any ideas what model Black Shadow Mesa used then?

I hooked the Fuchs up to that speaker too. Here's what I found. At first listen it sounded darker with a low mid hump that the EV doesn't have. But, after getting used to it and having my ears adjust it sounded great as well...just different. Then back tho the EV which at first (again) sounded brite..but after adjusting, sounded great...just different. Whew.

So I'm trying to decide on where to go speaker choice wise. I have a 2 x 12 Fuchs cab with Emienince RWB's which sound great but again...different. Maybe combine the MS12 with one of the Eminences??? How would they match?

I know the EV wouldn't pair well with Eminenece in the 2x12 cab but what about the EV and the MS12? Help!!!

The description of the speaker in your DC-5 sounds like an MC-90, which is based on an earlier version of the Celestion Classic Lead.

Mesa used to mix the MC-90 and EVM-12Ls in their old 4x12s.

I can't help you with the MS-12 as I've never heard one in person.

MS-12 is darker and slightly less clear - clearer than an MC-90. it's my favorite speaker, although i love the Evm-12l also. if i played more sparkly tones, it would not be as good as the EV to my ears. it's clear though.

This post is a little late to your ? I use to use an EV12L in my Mk2b's and later my my Mk3 amp.
Overall they wer great sounding speaker, but 2 drawbacks, heavy and very directional.
In my Nomad 55 1x12 widebody combo I've been using a Jensen Blackbird 100 watt Alnico speaker for the past 2-3 years and love it. I believe Wharehouse Guitar Speakers also offers a
similar 100 watt Alnico. They are lighter , warmer souinding than the EV's but not cheap $250 or so. I tried all of the Eminence speakers you mentioned. Nice but not even close, at least for me. Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back